- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2006.
- Dietz, W.H. Therapeutic strategies in childhood obesity.
Hormone Research. 39 Suppl 3: 86-90, 1993.
- American College of Sports Medicine. Guidelines for Exercise
Testing and Prescription: Fourth Edition. Malvern, Pennsylvania:
Lea & Febiger, 1991.
- Hirsch, J.L. & Batchelor, B. Adipose tissue cellularity
and human obesity. Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 5:
- Shephard, R.J. & Bouchard, C. Principal components of
fitness: relationship to physical activity and lifestyle. Canadian
Journal of Applied Physiology. 19 (2): 200-14, 1994.
- Van Itallie, T.B. Obesity: Prevalence and pathogenesis. I:
Diet Related to Killer Disease, II. Hearings before Select Committee
on Nutrition and Human Needs, United States Senate (pp 47-64).
Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1977.
- Hubert, H.B., Feinleib, M., McNamara, P.M., et. al. Obesity
as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: A 26-year
follow-up of participants in the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation.
67: 968-977, 1983.
- Amad, K.H., Brennan, J.C., & Alexander, J.K. The cardaic
pathology of chronic exogenous obesity. Circulation., 32: 740,
- Kannel, W.B., Gordon, T., & Castelli, W.P. Obesity, lipids,
and glucose intolerance. The Framingham Study. American Journal
of Clinical Nutrition. 32: 1238, 1979.
- Deprés, J.P., Tremblay, A., Perusse L., et. al. Abdominal
adipose tissue and serum HDL-chlolesterol association independent
from obesity and serum triglyceride concentration. International
Journal of Obesity. 12: 1-13, 1988.
- Kolterman, O.G., Insel, J., Saekow, M., et. al. Mechanisms
of insulin resistance in human obesity-Evidence of receptor and
post-receptor defects. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 65:
- Heller, R.F. & Heller, R.F. Hyperinsulinemic obesity
and carbohydrate addiction: the missing link is the carbohydrate
frequency factor. Med Hypotheses. 42 (5): 307-12, 1994.
- Tamai, M., Kubota, M., Ikeda, M., Nagao, K., Irikura, N.,
Sugiyama, M., Yoshikawa, H., Kawamori, R. & Kamada, T. Usefulness
of anaerobic threshold for evaluating daily life activity and
prescribing exercise to the healthy subjects and patients. Journal
of Medical Systems.17 (3-4): 219-25, 1993.
- Naimark, A. & Cherniak, R.M. Compliance of the respiratory
system and its components in health and obesity. Journal of Applied
Physiology. 15: 377, 1960.
- Dempsey, J.A., et. al. Work capacity determinants and phsiologic
cost of weight-supported work in obesity. Journal of Applied
Physiology. 21: 1815, 1966.
- Holley, H.S., et al. Regional distribution of pulmonary ventilation
and perfusion in obesity. Journal of Clinical Investigation.
46: 475, 1967.
- Sakamoto, S., Ishikawa, K., Senda, S., Nakajima, S. &
Matsuo, H. The effect of obesity on ventilatory response and
anaerobic threshold during exercise. Journal of Medical Systems.
17 (3-4): 227-31, 1993.
- Douglas, F.G. & Chong, P.Y. Influence of obesity on peripheral
airways patency. Journal of Applied Physiology. 33: 559,1972.
- Foss, M.L., Lampman, R.m., Watt, E., et. al. Initial work
tolerance of extremely obese patients. Archives of Physical Medicine
and Rehabilitationl. 56: 63-67, 175.
- Wolf, L.A., et. al. Pulmonary function at rest and during
exercise in uncomplicated obesity. Research Quarterly. 47: 829,
- Lampman, R.M., Schteingart, D.E., Henry, G.C., et. al. Medical
management of severe obesity: Graded exercise testing. Journal
of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation. 7: 358-364, 1987.
- Lampman, R.M., Schteingart, D.E. & Foss, M.L. Exercise
as a partial therapy for the extremely obese. Medicine and Science
in Sports and Exercise. 18: 19-24, 1985.
- Krotkiewski, M., Sjostrom, L. & BJorntorp, P. Physical
training in hyperplastic obesity. V. Effects of atropine on plasma
insulin. International Journal of Obesity. 4: 49-56, 1980.
- Foss, M.L., Lampman, R.M. & Schteingart, D.E. Extremely
obese patients: Improvements in exercise tolerance with physical
training and weight loss. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitationl.
61: 119-124, 1980.
- Miller, W.C., Wallace, J.P. & Eggert, K.E. Predicting
max HR and the HR-VO2 relationship for exercise prescription
in obesity. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 25 (9):
- Segal, K.R., Pi Sunyer, F.X. Exercise and obesity. Medical
Clinics of North America. 73(1): 217-36, 1989.
- Bjorntorp, P., DeJounge, K., Krotkiewski, M., et. al. Physical
training in human obesity. Ill. Effects of long-term physical
training on body composition. Metabolism. 22: 1474, 1973.
- Lohmann, D., Liebold, F., Heilmann, W., et. al. Dimenished
insulin response in highly trained athletes. Metabolism. 27:
- Zuti, W.B. & Golding, L.A. The Physician and Sports Medicine.
4 (1): 49-53, 1976.
- Lewis, S., et. al. Effects of physical activity on weight
reduction in obese middle-aged women. American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition. 29: 151, 1976.
- Van Loan, M.D., Keim, N.L., Barbieri, T.F. & Mayclin,
P.L. The effects of endurance exercise with and without a reduction
of energy intake on fat-free mass and the composition of fat-free
mass in obese women. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
48 (6): 408-15, 1994
- Bushirk, E.R., et. al. Human energy expenditure studies in
the National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases metabolic
chamber - 1. Interaction of cold environment and specific, 2.
Sleep. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 8: 602, 1960.
- Hoffmans, M., et. al. Resting metablolic rate in obese and
normal weight women. International Journal of Obesity. 3: 111,
- Shinkai, S., Watanabe, S., Kurokawa, Y., Torii, J., Asai,
H. & Shephard, R. J. Effects of 12 weeks of aerobic exercise
plus dietary restriction on body composition, resting energy
expenditure and aerobic fitness in mildly obese middle-aged women.
European Journal of Applied Physiology. 68 (3): 258-65,1994.
- Ross, R. & Rissanen, J. Mobilization of visceral and
subcutaneous adipose tissue in response to energy restriction
and exercise. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 60 (5):
- Ballor, D.L. & Keesey, R.E. A meta-analysis of the factors
affecting exercise-induced changes in body mass, fat mass and
fat-free mass in males and females. International Journal of
Obesity.15(11): 717-26, 1991.
- Ballor, D.L., Katch, V.L., Becque, M.D., Marks, C.R., Resistance
weight training during caloric restriction enhances lean body
weight maintenance. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 47(1):
- Walberg, J.L. Aerobic exercise and resistance weight-training
during weight reduction. Implications for obese persons and athletes.
Sport-Medical Journal. 7(6): 343-56, 1989.
- Donnelly, J.E., Pronk, N.P., Jacobsen, D.J., Pronk, S.J.,
Jakicic, J.M., Effects of a very-low-calorie diet and physical-training
regimens on body composition and resting metabolic rate in obese
females. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 54(1): 56-61,
- Ballor, D.L. Exercise training elevates RMR during moderate
but not severe dietary restriction in obese male rats. Journal
of Applied Physiology. 70(5): 2303-10, 1991.
- Dengel, D.R., Hagberg, J.M., Coon, P.J., Drinkwater, D.T.
& Goldberg, A.P., Effects of weight loss by diet alone or
combined with aerobic exercise on body composition in older obese
men. Metabolism. 43 (7): 867-71, 1994.
- Sweeney, M.E., Hill, J.O., Heller, P.A., Baney, R. &
DiGirolamo, M. Severe vs moderate energy restriction with and
without exercise in the treatment of obesity: efficiency of weight
loss. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 57 (2): 127-34,
- Stuart, R.B. Exercise prescription in weight management:
Advantages, techniques and obstacles. Obesity and Bariatric Medicine.
- Holm, G., Björntorp, P. & Jagenburg, R. Carbohydrate,
lipid, and amino and metabolism following physical exercise in
man. Journal of Applied Physiology. 45: 128, 1978.
- Mayer, J., Roy, P. & Mitra, K.P. Relation between caloric
intake, body weight and physical work: Studies in an industrial
male population in West Bengal. American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition. 4: 169, 1956.
- Staten, M.A. The effect of exercise on food intake in men
and women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 53: 27-31,
- Marin, P. Krotkiewski-M; Holm-G; Gustafsson-C; Bjorntorp-P,
Effects of acute exercise on insulin and non-insulin-dependent
glucose uptake in normal and moderately obese women. European
Journal of Medicine. 2 (4): 199-204, 1993.
- Björntorp, P., et. al. The effect of physical training
on insulin production in obesity. Metabolism. 19: 631, 1970.
- LeBlanc, J., Nadeau, A., Boulay, M., et. al. Effects of physical
training and adiposity on glucose metabolisn and 125I-insulin
binding. Journal of Applied Physiology. 46: 235-239.
- Tremblay, A., Despres, J.P., Maheux, J., Pouliot, M.C., Nadeau,
A., Moorjani, S., Lupien, P.J. & Bouchard, C. Normalization
of the metabolic profile in obese women by exercise and a low
fat diet. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 23(12):
- Reisin, E., et. al. Effect of weight loss without salt restriction
on the reduction of blood pressure in overwieght hypertensive
patients. New England Journal of Medicine. 298: 1, 1978.
- Dudlestin, A.K. & Bennion, M. Effect of diet and/or exercise
on obese college women. Journal. American Dietetic Association.
56: 126, 1970.
- Boyer, J.L. & Kasch, F.W. Exercise therapy in hypertensive
men. Journal. American Medical Association. 211: 1668, 1970.