- nerve and muscle function
- fluid balance
- muscle cramps
- deficiency rare in developed countries
- acute deficiency caused by extremely heavy perspiration
- table salt
- milk and dairy products
- also found in many processed foods
- drinking water (some locations)
Adequate Intakes (AI)
- Males and Females (19-51+ yrs.)
- 10-18 yrs.
- 6-9 yrs.
- 2-5 yrs.
- 1 yr
- Sufficient data to set RDA are unavailable
Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (UL)
Intakes above UL may lead to negative health consequences.
- Not recommended, not necessary.