- Measurements should be made on the right side of the body
- Caliper should be placed 1-2 cm away from the thumb and finger
- perpendicular to the skin fold
- halfway between the crest and the base of the fold
- Release the caliper lever so its spring tension is exerted
on the skinfold
- Maintained pinch while reading caliper
- Read dial on caliper
- Between 1 to 2 seconds after lever has been released
- Nearest 0.5 mm
- Take duplicate measures at each site
- ExRx.net (traditional method)
- If second measurement is not the same (mode) take third.
- If no 2 measurements are the same, take middle one (median)
- If within 1 or 2 mm take average
- If not within 1 or 2 mm take 3 rd measurement.
- If still no match, then take average of 2 closes measurements.
- If no more than 10% average two measurements
- Otherwise take one or more additional measurements two are
- Rotate through measurement sites
- allows time for skin and underlying fat to regain normal
- Male & Female