- Stand facing mid-thigh to hip high vertical bar. Grasp bar
with wide overhand grip. Step back so body is angled forward
with body straight and arms extended approximately perpendicular
to body. Feet should be pointed forward. Lift one leg to rear
by bending knee.
- Raise heel by extending ankle as high as possible. Allow
body to travel forward and upward in same direction as body is
orientated. Lower heel allowing foot to come back down flat on
floor. Repeat. Continue with opposite leg.
- Keep knee straight throughout exercise or bend knee slightly
only during stretch. Quadriceps serve as synergists muscle if
knee is bent slightly during stretch.
- Bar height can be adjusted to vary resistance. See Gravity
Vectors for greater understanding of body angle's influence
- Resistance can be reduced by lowering support bar, as far
down as ankle flexibility will allow. Both feet can also be used.
Also try self assisted single leg calf raises.
- Perform calf raise upright on calf block to make movement