- Position feet under bar with very wide stance. Squat down
and grasp bar between legs with shoulder width or slightly narrower
- Lift bar by extending hips and knees to full extension. Pull
shoulders back at top of lift if rounded. Return weight to floor
by bending hips back while keeping back straight and knees pointed
out same direction as feet. Repeat.
- Throughout lift keep hips low, shoulders high, arms and back
straight. Throughout movement, keep knees pointed out same direction
as feet. Keep bar close to body to improve mechanical leverage.
With wide stance, push feet out to sides and not down to prevent
knees from buckling inward. Pushing knees out will allow hips
to travel toward bar more quickly while improving leverage.
- During rep training for powerlifting, do not merely tap weight
to ground, but instead let barbell settle to ground each rep
to sufficiently train range of motion through initial slack
of heavy barbell.
- Also see Deadlift and Deadlift
Strength Standards. Also see Kettlebell