- Stand on bench or narrow platform, with feet side by side.
- Step down with first foot to side of elevated surface onto
floor. Stand back up on elevated surface by straightening upper
leg and pushing body upward. Place foot to original position
next to opposite foot. Step down and back up with opposite leg
in same manner. Repeat by alternating between sides.
- Keep torso upright during exercise. Stepping knee should
point same direction as foot. A modest degree of knee
rotation occurs during this movement. See Controversial
Exercises and Rotary
Force in Squat Analysis.
- Using shorter bench or step will make this movement easier.
Dumbbell Step Down
- For greater challenge, use taller bench or box. Barbells
and Dumbbells can also provide additional resistance in same
alternating pattern or one leg at a time.