- Stand facing away from bench. Extend leg back and place top
of foot on bench.
- Squat down by flexing knee and hip of front leg until knee
of rear leg is almost in contact with floor. Return to original
standing position by extending hip and knee of forward leg and
repeat. Continue with opposite leg.
- Keep torso upright during squat; flexible
hip flexors are important. Forward knee should point same
direction as foot throughout movement. May also be referred to
as Bodyweight Bulgarian Squat.
- Weighted versions of this exercise would normally be considered
auxiliary in context of other basic exercises (ie: Barbell Squat,
Sled Leg Press). However, in the context of 'body weight' only
program, this exercise can be considered basic.
- Placing hand on stationary object can assist with balance.
Other squatting, split squat, or lunging movements may be easier
- For greater challenge, add resistance with a barbell or dumbbells
or perform Self-assisted Single Leg Squats