- Lie on side on mat. Place forearm on mat under shoulder perpendicular
to body. Bend knees at a right angle. Place upper leg directly
on top of lower leg and straighten hips.
- Raise hips upward by lateral
flexion of spine. Lower to original position and repeat.
Repeat with opposite side.
- In addition to lateral flexion of spine, lower
hip abducts and upper hip
adducts. Exercise can also be performed isometrically, see
Bent Knee Side Plank.
Gracilis of upper leg
enters into active
insufficiency with hip extended and knee flexed. Also see
- Movement can be made easier by angling body up against wall
with legs straight.
- Exercise can be made more challenging with knees straight.