- Grasp dumbbell and position in front of thigh with arm straight.
Turn pinkie finger side outward.
- Raise arms to side, slightly to front until shoulder height
or slightly higher. Lower and repeat. Continue with opposite
- Raise toward 10 o'clock with left arm and toward 2 o'clock
with right arm. Maintain straight elbow position with elbow pointing
outward throughout exercise.
- Jobe FW, Moynes DR (1982) describes this exercise to strengthen
supraspinatus muscle with abduction in scapular plane (30°
anteriorto the frontal plane) with glenohumeral internally rotated,
AKA empty can exercise.
- Shoulders should be kept back since scapula protraction can
decrease width of subacromical space, possibly increasing risk
of subacromical impingement (Solem-Bertift E, et al. 1993).