ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:46 am 
Novice
Novice

Posted my Journal, mainly for the periodization switch that I coming up on, but also gave some back info on what I am currently doing. Feedback/Suggestions encouraged and welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

So I took the exercise list to the gym tonight and figured out my 1 rep max on all of them. I took about 2 minutes rest between each one. Anyway, I can't figure out how to do more than 275 on a row. All the cable machines go to 200 and the bars on them don't look like they can take more than 75 or so lbs before they bend. So how do I get heavier with the same range of motion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:37 pm 

Looking at your other lifts, a row of 275 is pretty impressive.

I would take a look at the cable setup and make sure there are no double pulleys.

In any case, is there a chest supported row machine?
Or you could just use DB Rows and do 1 arm at a time, how high do the dumbbells go in your gym?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

The dumbells go to 100, and there are some DB bars that take plates. The more I look at the list the more I think I'm doing something wrong. But then I just put that out of my head and start looking at what I can do better. I think range of motion is limited in the exercises I was doing, because I use alot of the guided racks, levers and cable thinga majigs. I'm considering not using any machines at all and just going to freeweights only (mainly DB), but I'm not sure which exercises to do for the back.

I'm still kinda bouncing back and forth, I want to get good range of motion on just about everything and activate the stablizers as well. I'm a fire performer and ROM is key to this whole bit for me. I'm not interested in bodybuilding as a sport, just being in good, strong physical condition. My workout buddy is into bodybuilding as a sport, I'm after a strong physic for entertainment purposes. I guess that means I don't want to get huge, I just want to get cut and proportioned.

I"ve been doing lats on lever machines. There's a pulldown and a row lever, but neither is full range of motion like a seated row. I want to engage my lowerback through traps in the row, of course I would probably start with a set at 100 and see how the lower back reacts, allowing for adaptation as I work up to full weight. Problem is I don't think I can get to full weight with the available equipment. I"m gonna get a closer look at the smith tomorrow and see if it might work, I don't use it much right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:35 pm 

For lower back, there are a lot better exercises than any type of row.

Back extensions and deadlifts are some of the best.

Rows are primarly meant to develop the upper back. Occasionally the seated cable row as you describe doing it, can be used to introduce a new trainee to lower back work without putting much stress on the lower back, and giving the trainee a good feeling of safety/comfort. usually, continued gains in the lower back need to be addressed by additional exercises such as those mentioned above.

As for full range of motion, moving the lower back during a row has nothing to do with the full range of motion for the muscles in the upper back.

A pullup is a complete range of motion that is a great full upper back developer and is easy to do in a lot of places/gyms. I recommend something akin to a pullup and then something more like a row. Seated cable rows are good but there is no need to limit yourself to machines. Often in my training, since I do pullups which are a bilateral exercise, I like to do DB rows to allow the upper back some unilateral work.

Post subject: Juan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:01 am 
DELETED