ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

This is the thread for any discussions about my bulk journal in the other forum :)

Can I ask - what is the best ratio of proteins:carbs:fat for building muscle? And should I be aiming for 1g of protein per gram of bodyweight, or 1.5g?

Thanks for any advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

basic info like weight/height/frame/body fat%/experience help with judging workouts. you should include that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:33 am 
Novice
Novice

brook011 wrote:
basic info like weight/height/frame/body fat%/experience help with judging workouts. you should include that :)

Ah ok :)

Weight: 14.5 stone (95 kg)
Height: 6'3"
Frame: Naturally slim built, which is why I want to bulk up more!
Body fat: Not sure but I'd guess about 16 - 18%
Experience: I've been on a bulk before and managed to add about 1.5 stone. That was about a couple of years ago now (I'm 27 now), and I'm looking to bulk up further. My technique and form on the exercises is pretty sound I think :)

This is me just now:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ujnlac&s=3
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24q0kdd&s=3
(I've put on a bit of weight since these pics were taken)

I'm not looking to get a huge rugby player / bodybuilder type body - I'm going for the v-shape, martial art type body with a really slim waist and big broad shoulders, chest, back and arms (but wont be neglecting my legs! :) ) I want to concentrate on my chest and arms though, which is why my workout was skewed slightly towards them.

I'm also of the body type where I find it difficult to put weight on (is that ectomorph?), and have to eat about 3500 - 3750 cals to put weight on when doing this.

Thanks for any help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:40 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

First, comments on the sched. Looks interesting at face value. Good exercise choices, and I am intrigued by the varying loading parameters. Looks like one of those Waterbury type of programs at quick glance. I'd give it a good honest go, looks pretty solid, and after 4-6 weeks evaluate it, then you might want to go to something heavier.There really is no one holy grail.
As to the diet and macronutrient ration, lots of different ideas and vriations on that, no two nutritionist will probably tell you the same thing. The key is to add calories. Matbe try adding in 500 kcal/day, then up it or down it depending on an evaluation. Get adequate protein, in your case, 1 0 - 1.5 gr P per lb bwt should do the trick. As long as your in the ballpark, I don't think it's critical if you go somewhat over or under. I'll let you do the math for KG and Stones. Don't be a fat phobic. Fat is necessary for growth. Go for some starchy carbsl i.e yams, brown rice. etc.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

TimD wrote:
First, comments on the sched. Looks interesting at face value. Good exercise choices, and I am intrigued by the varying loading parameters. Looks like one of those Waterbury type of programs at quick glance. I'd give it a good honest go, looks pretty solid, and after 4-6 weeks evaluate it, then you might want to go to something heavier.There really is no one holy grail.
As to the diet and macronutrient ration, lots of different ideas and vriations on that, no two nutritionist will probably tell you the same thing. The key is to add calories. Matbe try adding in 500 kcal/day, then up it or down it depending on an evaluation. Get adequate protein, in your case, 1 0 - 1.5 gr P per lb bwt should do the trick. As long as your in the ballpark, I don't think it's critical if you go somewhat over or under. I'll let you do the math for KG and Stones. Don't be a fat phobic. Fat is necessary for growth. Go for some starchy carbsl i.e yams, brown rice. etc.
Tim

Thanks mate :) I got the idea for mixing up the reps from another guy, not sure if he follows Waterbury or not to be honest! He says that, apart from anything else, it keeps your body guessing, so it takes longer to hit a plateau. It's also so that you hit all the slow and fast twitch fibres in your muscles, so that they all grow. I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on! I'm going to be putting up pics as I progress. I'm hoping to get rid of some of the paunch that I have just now, which I realise might not happen with the calories I need to take in, but I'm hoping my body will use some of my fat reserves for energy!!! :D