ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AIs Training Journal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:04 pm 

I decided I'd rather use this thing since people can comment their thoughts on here.

Last edited by amivan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:51 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Amivan,

Sucks about the foot. I had an inflamed left plantar fascia a while ago. My doctor had me massage it, put on a painkiller/anti inflammatory patch, and I did some rolling on a tennis ball to get it better. The tennis ball rolling hurt like hell while I did it but felt great afterwards.

I also started doing these before every workout:
http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/fitness/ ... Drills.pdf

I haven't had any foot problems since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 pm 

thank you pdellerto but I don't think it's that serious, it was just a mild sprain i can barely tell anythings wrong with it today and im sure in 2 more days it'll be fine, but thanks for the info :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:43 am 

No problem. I've done them ever since my foot got hurt. Takes like 5-7 minutes, good way to start my warmup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 am 

I've been messing around with a "new" concept, working out under a time limit with the goal of improving the # of sets performed in future sessions or increasing the total rep #. During the workout I'll do 2-3 different exercises for antagonist muscle groups and superset two at a time for a given time period, with the most time out of the 45 minutes being given to the main muscle groups I'm trying to work. It's high intensity, high volume work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I'd like to see the results of that. sounds quite a bit like Staley's EDT (escalating density) and other variations on it. I have used Bryce's 20/50 "Have It All" w/ antagonist movements, and it worked well for me in terms of both strength and work capacity. I'd love to see your take on this intersting to see your take on this.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:04 am 

How much did your vertical improve?

I was thinking about that 50 rhythm squat routine the other day. I realize I do my best jumping when I essentially go into at most a quarter squat (although it's more like a quarter squat RDL). If I go deeper I tend to land short. So I'm less surprised that it would work for vertical than I was before...if you are training to explode out of the same stance you use to jump the furthest, it makes sense it would help vertical and horizontal jump distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:15 pm 

thus far (3 weeks), my vertical has gone up about 3" to 32" still nowhere close to where I want to get (unlimited vertical ;) ) but its definitely a marked improvement, also i've been stretching my hip flexors like he suggested and it does feel a lot better when I jump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:08 pm 

Still, 3" is nice!

I need to stretch my hips more before my long jump test, see if that helps...a jump is a jump, I'm thinking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:31 pm 

i would try doing floor drills to warm up the hips rather than stretch them out, he suggests static stretching the hip flexors specifically because they're generally tight on most people/athletes. but you probably meant dynamic stretching anyways and im warning you about nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:39 pm 

OK so it's been quite some time since I posted on here, coincidentally it's been some time since I actually worked out. I started up again today. Here's what I'm looking at for a "quick" rebuilding plan for GPP/athleticism.

This workout I'll do 3x a week.

-Complex 1; Warm-up I
With a 135# barbell I do 2 deadlifts, 2 shrugs, 2 hang cleans, 2 front squats and repeat 5 times. (Note: 135# is a weight thats light for me for those exercises)
--Complex 2; Warm-up II
With a 50# dumbbell I do 2 db swings, followed by 2 goblet squats and repeat 3 times.
---Warm-up III; Lie on the floor and roll your hip from side to side, this is me just trying to raise my awareness of my hip position to make sure it's correct during lifts.
----Get a sip of water, put on your favorite tune, psyche up, jump around and get ready for the legs to throb with effort.

Leg "Rehab"-The Hard Part;

-A set of 20 reps doing front squats with a weight I normally do about 8-10 reps with. (Note: increase by 5lbs each session)
Rest 1 song length (~3 minutes).
--A set of 20 reps doing romanian deadlifts with a weight that I normally can do about 8-10 reps with. (Note: increase by 5lbs each session)
Rest 1 song length (~3 minutes).
---2 sets of calf raises with a heavy dumbbell in one hand for 15+ reps; a set is completed when you've done the same amount of reps with the dumbbell in each hand. (Note: increase by 5lbs each week)

The "Easy" Part;

Keep the weights light-moderate here. This is a cycle, complete it 3 times.

-Forwards Lunges, while holding a plate overhead during the lunge, do this in front of a mirror to make sure you keep proper posture.
--Reverse Lunges, you're going to plant your foot as far back as you safely can here in an attempt to stretch/work your glutes, use a 8-10 rep weight. Make sure your knees/feet aren't caving in, if so use a lighter weight.
---Step-ups with a dumbbell in the hand opposite the leg you're using.
----Squats with a dumbbell in each hand, however, one is being held down between your legs the other above your head. The one above your head should be probably 50% lighter than the one in between your legs. Switch after 6-8 reps.

Upper body rehab coming tomorrow when I come up with something in the gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:42 am 

okay I still can't come up with anything that great for the upper body

so far I've narrowed it down to;

1-Armed Incline DB Presses - 3 sets of 6
Standing DB Shoulder Presses - 3 sets of 6
Medicine Ball Push-ups - 3 sets of 20+

Weighed Pull-ups - 3 sets of 6
Free (unsupported) 1-arm DB Rows - 3 sets of 6
BB Upright Rows - 3 sets of 10

Standing EZBar Tricep Extensions - 3 sets of 6+
Standing Cheat Curls - 3 sets of 6+