ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:10 am 

Dude I wish I had a guy like you to work out with seems like you know so much. Awesome. Hows the recovery coming? Hows the scar on the eye and hip or is there any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:32 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I really don't know that much, at least about lifting. I know more than average but less than I need to!

There is a small pucker scar on the hip, but under the eye it looks like I have one too many folds of skin at first until you realize it's an end-to-end scar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:32 am 

Hey your most recent workout looked good. Those broad jumps are for explosiveness right? Is it because your in japan that the listed weight is kg and measurement cm? I wish I was on the same page as ya cause i really dont know lol i know there's conversion charts online buuuuuut for the sake of conversation how much in lbs were you benching. And that resistance band that your using those are good awhile back my mother bought a few and well they were really femaleish so i combined all them and did some work!!! haha looks like your getting back to your pre injury form good stuff dude. Props to ya.

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:59 pm 

Yeah, I'm doing the broad jumps as rehab for my hip, to improve my explosiveness, and as a test. I figure they're a good indication of my improved leg strength and explosiveness. If my standing broad jump goes up, I'm getting healthier and stronger. If it stays the same, my training program needs changes.

I used metric because everyone in Japan does, yeah. It's just easier but I still think "miles" when I ride my bike.
Quick conversion is 100cm = 1 meter = 3 feet 4".
KG is 1kg = 2.205 pounds, so just double any number in kg and then add 10% of that. If bench 4 x 67.5 I'm benching 4 x 148.5 pounds or so.

Or just use Google - type "x kg in pounds" and you'll get an answer.

My bench press sucks badly. I can rep +20% of my bodyweight doing weighted chinups but I can't even one-rep my own bodyweight pressing. I'm working on that. I figure my impinged right shoulder is part of the problem but so is bad bench press technique so I'm fixing that too.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's a hard road back, especially when I watch everyone sparring and I can't join in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:33 am 

Pete, there is an interesting experiment going on at Dr. Squat.

http://drsquat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4874

Todd Wilson made a comment on how easy it is to get a weak person to bench 315. Some others, including myself, objected. Anyway, Todd is going to coach 1 guy online to see if he can get his bench from 235 to 315 in 12 weeks. This will be interesting for those of us with weak benches.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:45 am 

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I need to improve my bench...it's below "novice" levels for my weight. I do have a pre-existing injury - cervical radiculopathy of the right shoulder caused by scar tissue inside the shoulder. That's probably the main source of my weakness benching and overhead pressing.

But a good plan of attack for bringing my pressing in line with my pulling (rows, chins, deadlifts) wouldn't hurt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:41 am 

Lemons/Lemonade time

So I hurt my knee yesterday. Also, during my mountain climb I volunteer to tote 2 x 3kg bags of gravel up the mountain for use building a retaining wall around a shelter near the top. I hand-carried them the whole way. So today my right knee is weak, my right hip is weak (curiously, not the surgically cut hip...), and my traps are very sore.

It's a holiday week in Japan, so the gym has odd hours - it's open tonight, Sunday, at 7:30 and then closed until Tuesday afternoon. And I have already made plans for Tuesday after to go out with some friends I haven't seen in six months.

So hurt or not, if I want to train on any kind of schedule I need to train tonight. I got some MSM/chondroitin/glucosamine and I've taken that, to help my banged up knee. I also got some ibuprofen (20 x 150mg doses is around $12, not cheap) and took that. And I'm using an anti-inflammatory patch on my knee right now. Hopefully that will help, it certainly let me bike ride slowly without feeling much strain.

I will go to the gym and do the following:

- if my knee feels okay during warmups and mobility drills, I'll squat normally.
- if my knee feels week, I'll mix up my workout. Instead of the ME Lower/Rep Upper day I was supposed to do, I'll just for a max-effort workout, mixing ME shoulder presses and unweighted pullups for max reps for rounds, plus some ab/back work (probably planks for time).

I can't risk hurting my knee, but if it's okay I'll train normally. If not, I'm mixing it up and pushing my usual workouts out to Wednesday and Friday. I will not, I cannot, let this knee injury set me back but I won't make it worse by being stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:57 am 

Erred on the side of caution and skipped the squats for a modified "Lynne" tonight. Crossfit "Lynne" is BW bench press and BW pullups, max reps for 5 rounds, no time component. I did it as 45kg standing presses and kipping chinups. Seemed like a good combo - vertical push, vertical pull. Followed it with planks for static muscle work. I'd call it "core" but my hips, legs, and shoulders get a workout holding the position too.

It's Golden Week in Japan, a stack of national holidays all in a short time period. So the gym was open Sunday night but is closed Monday all day and Tuesday night. I have the key, but my coach has asked me not to go lift weights when the gym is technically closed so I can't do that. So I'll do my squat-heavy workout on Wednesday and my jump/bench press workout on Friday or Saturday.

It's fun training at my gym, the guys are all very supportive of me and they never really question why I push myself so hard in rehab. In fact, they generally ask me a) how often do I lift, b) how much weight I'm lifting, and c) when do I think I can fight again? At the same time, it's hard to go there and train but have to fight back the urge to join in. I lift, but I really want to be gloving up and sparring.

Still a better training environment would be hard to come by and it makes my rehab so much easier. I want to live up to the expectations of success we've built for each other.

(Editing later: I also took some posture/muscle check pictures. I'll edit them and get them posted up so you can see where I stand. I'll get a closeup shot of my surgical cuts, they're looking really good now! Clean healing, very promising).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:19 am 

Wow man and I thought my workout yesterday was intense!! That was sick. Hahaha. What I have done or do is if I feel weak on a certain workout I'll flip it. Do it sooner instead of later. Thats a great change for the body of course too. So hows everything going everythings healing fine obviously and unfortunatly I can't see the pictures. Oh I wanted to tell you I seen this fight of mma through ufc this dude got blasted in the face with a kick to his chin I was like wow its over. Dude came back and won beating the $h!T out of the other guy. At the end of the fight he smiled and you could see his teeth through the gap in his lip from when that guy kicked him. He was like eh just another day on the job lol. Wanted to tell you that in case you didn't see it. haha talk to you later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:56 am 

Thanks John. But my squat 5RM is your warmup weight. So I may be working hard but I'm not as strong as I need to be. When I can squat what I DL (about 175% of my bodyweight) I'll be happier.

I'm doing a 4 week cycle, so this week and last week were working sets of 5 reps. Next week is 3 reps, so I can go heavier. Final week is a deload, we'll see how much restraint I can actually show. Then I'm swapping exercises...I'll do DLs and maybe some rack pulls instead of heavy squats next cycle. We'll see how I do swapping this often.

And I'm sore as hell today.

I wonder what fight that was...I'd love to see it. Bet that winner is really missing his teeth today...but yeah, during a fight you just keep getting up and getting back to work. No matter how bad of an idea that is. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:28 pm 

Just read a Chad Waterbury article on training MMA fighters. He made an interesting point about emphasizing specific shoulder endurance and stability.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perform ... ed_fighter

I already do overhead squats in my warmup (with better form than that guy in the article's pictures, too...with a real weight he'd dump that bar). I haven't been doing TGUs lately, though, I need to add them back in. I do dislocates on off-days as a dynamic stretching drill.

The front squats are nice, actually, I should try those. I need to do Mike Rutherford's lunge with a weight held forward, too. I need more unilateral work so I may do those instead of the squats, and save the squats for when I'm home and have only my med ball. And I like the crucifix hold for time. Hard to imagine how I'd do it without using the ring timer, though, can't start the stopwatch in that position.

Still interesting stuff for me as a fighter with a bad shoulder. My shoulder injury was traumatic, though, and I can press overhead pretty well (an in proportion to my bench, too). But I could use more stability work and this article reminded me of my need to do more overhead load stabilization.

I wonder if TGUs would make a useful Max Effort lower body exercise. The weight limit is upper-body based, but the effort is all back, abs, and legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:36 am 

Those single leg workouts are beastly huh? I did some body weight single leg work and it hurt! Ha ha did some single leg calf raises that was awesome. Also tried some single leg squats but I had to hold onto a doorwar for balance. Tough stuff though and you don't even need weights for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm 

Yeah, I'm really feeling the single-leg soreness. I'll never go back to bilateral-only workouts.

I'm going to get a freestanding single leg squat. Gonna take some work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:10 am 

Sounds encouraging. Pistols and any single leg unsupported exercises, I think, are more frustrating than anything else. Patience is your best friend when learning pistols.

It's pretty brutal when you wake that Glute Medius up, but the pain goes away after a few attemps.

There's a pilates type exercise I like to do which seems to be a nice addition to increase endurance in and around your hips, especially glute medius.

YOu get in the 'side lying clam position' - if you know what that is. Lying on your side legs bent and together and you open them up and close them. You get into this position then lift your leg up (abduct), then keep the leg at that height (and slightly bent) and slowly externally rotate as far as you can go, then internally rotate, and repeat. You see it in Pilates adverts, lol, but hey - there's SOMETHING good to be taken from everything.

One thing I like to do every day is do 10 clams on one side and go straight on to 10 "external internal rotation things". I count each external rotation as one rep. Then do the other side.

Just some food for thought...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:04 am 

I'll have to give those super-clams a try. I do "clams" every warmup already.

I was too tired for single-leg work today. Next workout day is Sunday, I'll do some of them. Monday is a deload day of my ME squat day, so I'll add them on at the end if I can, and try to get them in once more. 3x a week might not be hard if I'm not also doing heavy ME work this week.

Still deciding what's a good deload method...right now it's looking like 2 x 10 or 2 x 15 or something or that sort for most exercises with around 60-70% weight loads, and then shortening up the rests a little.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next