ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

* makes note to steal the name "super clams".

(Sounds much better than "internal external rotation things".)

De loading is really just trial and error in my opinion. Considering your still in the post surgery phase, I would tend to err on the side of caution.

If it's successful you'll feel great and highly motivated the following week. I don't think people pay enough attention to tiredness, motivation, mood etc but when it comes to deloading, that's exactly what you should be paying attention to.

The big decider is in the week following the deload as that should be the week that you make most of your gains. Your bench press comes to mind, you could use that as a bench mark to see how your deload goes :-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:34 pm 

quick question. LOL since i seem to talk to you more than anyone else. When your doing bent over barbell rows does your back have to be one hundred percent horizontal? or can you stand up a bit I looked at the video on this site and it seems he's really not lifting a lot. Whats your take on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:47 am 

Congratulations on ranking! It's a big accomplishment.

Do they use any sort of a belt system in Japan, or is that just a marketing tool of American martial arts schools?

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:27 am 

Thanks. I actually promoted in February, but it took a while for them to produce and mail my diploma. It was hard work. Lots of "hurry up and do something for the judges, and then wait an hour to see what you need to do next."

Kendo ranks from 5th kyu to 1st kyu, then 1st dan to 8th dan. They don't use colored belts or insignia of rank of any kind.

Judo on the other hand does. So do most jujutsu schools and karate schools, since they copied that from Judo. When the Okinawans brought karate to mainland Japan in the 1920s they adapted the judo belt system. Before that they had no belts, just certificates of rank.

US systems used a much wider range of belt colors though. And what a belt means varies wildly. Every 8th grader doing Judo in Japan is probably a 1st dan (black belt) in Judo...heck, they all make 2nd dan before they go to high school (10th grade), but 1st dan (black belt) in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu means you're a serious master of the style.

My last opponent was a 3rd dan in Judo, so I knew he was serious enough to keep pushing...the jump from 2nd to 3rd dan is a big one, they try hard to weed out the ones who won't eat their own guts to get it. Kendo does the same...1st dan is hard, 2nd dan is much harder, 3rd and 4th dan are ridiculously hard. One of my buddies tested for 3rd dan and they failed him because at one point in basic drills he set up an inch too short of perfect position.

That's probably more than you'll ever need to know about Japanese ranking systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:05 am 

No, it's just what I was asking. I have observed that people who train in Taekwando in Korea, and who are nominally equivalent to my rank, usually have actual skills that far surpass mine. Same for other MA systems in the US; often they train for 8 to 10 years to reach black. I made mine in 3, and not because of any superior talent or strength!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:36 am 

It varies so much system to system. I always respect someone who earned a black belt, it takes some effort. But I don't always assume it means the same thing from person to person...and I try to find out the details.

I generally prefer systems without ranks myself, because I hate testing and grading. That's why I like MMA so much. No ranks, and I'm ultimately competing against myself. I win a fight, my friends shake my hand and respect my skill. I lose a fight, my friends shake my hand and respect my heart.

What system did you get a belt in, anyway? You can PM me or keep the discussion going here, either way! I'm 4th kyu in Shorin-ryu karate-do from a private instructor (took years and years of contact training to earn that rank, the two 1st dans we had took 11 years to earn their grade), 1st dan in kendo, and I've got a Broken Eye in MMA. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 pm 

:lol:
pdellorto wrote:
...shack of raw eggs and protein powder and ground flax seeds.

I felt bad about my rusty tin shack. Now I find out that yours is made of raw eggs, powder and seeds! I won't ever feel sorry for myself again!

Of course, if you get hungry, you can always nibble on your shack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:17 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:

I'm an English teacher!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:23 pm 

That RKC in Tokyo has a seminar on 7/6. Cost is 15,000 yen if I join in advance. That's about $140. Plus the train down and back will cost me 18,400 yen with a cheap ticket. If I go a day early to enjoy Tokyo it'll cost me a bit for a hotel, too. If I got private instruction it would be the same cost but instead of a 4-hour plus seminar I'd get 1 1/2 hours of instruction. That might be a better choice.

I'd like to go, but I have to decide if it's worth the cost. It's in excess of $350 for travel and expenses, plus I might go nuts and buy a kettlebell and they aren't any cheaper here than anywhere else. So I'm still mulling this over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:59 am 

pdellorto wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

I'm an English teacher!

At least you're not a typing teacher!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 pm 

Peter, what do you do for quad stretching?

And, as per you suggestion, I shot video of my squats yesterday. Sadly, my editing software is broken, and I can't manage to get the company to recognize my credit card to buy online (on ongoing problem while overseas), and Windows Video Maker (which should be just fine for this simple project) won't work for reasons that remain mysterious to me. But I'll get it done somehow. I have a format converter, and I'll change one of the clips and see if Videomaker will handle a different format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:39 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Peter, what do you do for quad stretching?

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/art ... onev2.html

Scroll down until you see Quadriceps Stretch.

Jungledoc wrote:
And, as per you suggestion, I shot video of my squats yesterday.

When you get them uploaded somewhere, I'll check them out for sure.

Unlucky for me, my DVD player/writing software conflicts with Windows's editing software. Lucky for me, my camera lets me edit on the camera, so I just edit there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:55 am 

Today I went supplement and gear shopping. Super-lucky for me, I walked into Sports Authority and saw a TV with a closeup of Chris Osgood, Red Wings goaltender. I thought "Hey, hockey highlights!" Better. It was the live game. So I called my Canadian buddy who was also off work and told him to meet me there. We stood around and watched the hockey game.

Anyway, I was out of ZMA*, Glutamine, and Creatine, and almost out of Casein/Whey protein blend and BCAAs.

I bought a 30-day supply of ZMA, 300g of Glutamine, 300g of Creatine, and 2kg of Gold's Gym Casein/Whey protein as it was the only low-carb whey/casein blend they had, and a cheap for 2kg ($75). I know the ZMA is helping me get my RDA of zinc and magnesium, I know the glutamine helps me ward off colds and the flu despite working out hard and often (before glutamine - 1-2 colds a month. After starting to use it, 1-2 colds per 2-3 months). The creatine...not sure, but it's not expensive so I'd rather keep using it for a while.

I decided against the BCAAs. They had a 500g container by Haleo ("Core Extreme") for 8870 yen (about $85), which is the best price-to-gram for BCAAs. But I'm not sure they are really worth the cost or not. I've got the ones I have now because I felt I needed them when I was in the hospital and wasn't going to get enough protein. I've been using 5-10g per heavy workout since to use them up. I decided I'll finish what I have and then see. If I notice a negative difference, I'll go spend the money. 500g at my usage is 50 workouts, so 25 weeks of 2-per-week heavy lifting, so it's not expensive but if it's not doing anything special I'll skip it.

Next they had 180 x 500mg CLA tabs for about $40. Not sure it was worth it so I passed on it.

Finally I checked out some gear. They have actual foam rollers now! Woo! They have a long (1 meter) foam roller for 2000 yen, about $18. My concern is I think it's actually just foam, not foam over PVC. Is it worth it? I have been using my 3kg medicine ball and it's pretty good, plus I know it's not going to burst or deform permanently under my weight. Is a foam-only roller worth the cost?

I also found a nice heavy stretch band, but it was 3000 yen so I'm holding off on it for now. My friend liked the idea of resisted pushups, so we headed over to a different store and tried out the stretch tubing they sell by the meter. He got 1.5 meters of tubing for about $12 and he'll use them for pushups. Soon he'll be dragging tires, just watch.

Finally I found a 60kg hand gripper. But it was too easy to close for me... I wasn't convinced it was really 60kg. It was easy to knock off 5-6 reps with each hand, no warmup or anything. But I've had problems closing all-metal heavy 50kg gripper in the past. And I couldn't dent the 75kg gripper from a different company. So I'm just not sure it's really up to spec.

So that was my shopping trip. Still thinking about going back for the CLA, the foam roller, and that heavy stretch band. I could use it for face pulls and pull-throughs...

* best price-to-mg for both zinc and magnesium is a ZMA supplement, not individual zinc and magnesium supps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 am 

Foam rollers in general are easily worth the cost.

However, i'm not sure what it would be like in comparison to the med ball. I use the med ball for my upper back but never used it anywhere else.

Also, most foam rollers are just foam. The 'foam roller plus' is a PVC pipe wrapped in foam - so you have the option of pipe and foam, or just the pipe. The 'just foam' ones are great for people who aren't used to it, but after a while they don't do much, and you feel you need more. They also get disfigured, if you use them a lot, but that SHOULD take a while. Obviously some are better than others.

The Blue one in this link is what I have and it's pretty solid.
http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/ ... llers.html

This Reebok one is a different, softer/fluffier kind of foam, and I think it's crap! But i guess it's a good starter for someone as tight as a drum. My gym has started buying these ones.

http://www.gymcompany.co.uk/p/accessori ... oller.html

When I started with the blue one above, it was agony, but now it doesn;t cause any pain. The outer foam part came away from the inner foam part, so I bought PVC pipe and put it inside the outer part (my attemped home made foam roller plus). I've started using the bare pipe, too.

Also remember that there's a few things you can do in Inside Out that you need a foam roller for. I think it's worth it just for the thoracic extensions!

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:25 am 

You'll have to try the med ball. Mine is pretty good, and it feels fine. And there are a few thoracic exercises I can do with it, too.

They have the Reebok one at the store, but it's also 50% more expensive and a lot uglier. I'd get the bigger one if I get one. I'm thinking about it, but right now I'm looking for a new job here...so I'm avoiding buying stuff I can't take home if I don't find something soon. But still, it's worth considering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next