ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

So I'm eating 1800 kcals a day, 135g of protein + some BCAAs and creatine, tops, and I'm working extra hours. Yet I'm still racking up significant PRs, even if they are only by a few pounds or a rep or two.

This is pretty freaking sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Damn you Peter, just as i increase my chinup max you go and do the same. You're two ahead again, but i'll catch you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm 

If I were you, I'd aim for at least 16. I got 15, but I left a less-than-perfect one in the tank for next time. 16 is just going to be a stopover on my way to 20.
:grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 am 

I can't decide on how to structure my workouts for the next few weeks. I really haven't had time to give them enough thought, and I'm not sure I'm happy with what I've come up with so far.

So I'm just going to do a 9th cycle of 5/3/1 instead.

Cycle 9
Training Max 320
Week 1: 5 x 210 5 x 240 5+ x 270 (previous max 7)
Week 2: 3 x 225 3 x 255 3+ x 290 (previous max 5)*
Week 3: 5 x 240 3 x 270 1+ x 305 (-)

* The 5+ and 1+ day will be on carb-up days during the diet, so I'll push harder on those and probably just get my 3 reps on this week in between.

For assistance work, I'll do 5 x 8-10 reps of trap bar DLs with 190 with 1 minute rests, but using Fat Gripz. I'll follow this with something ab/explosive related, like Kettlebell Figure 8s and possibly planks if I'm feeling up to them. Or maybe I'll chuck in another conditioning exercise instead of them, like thick-handled renegade rows for reps or timed rounds.

I'll see how many times I can get 305, which I've never successfully broken off the floor before.

By the way, my diet seems to be working fine. I'm noticeably leaner and I don't feel weaker - although we'll see tomorrow with the 5+ of course. I'm much lighter, but not far enough down that I think I could drop a weight class in grappling without being severely weakened from lack of water and glycogen. But the body fat seems to be coming off rapidly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 am 

Peter, I just started 5/3/1 this week and my deadlift was 5x225, 235, 250. The calculator said 220 but that's too many plates to load. My question is, I'm doing 5% between sets where you're doing 10%. Obviously we're using different templates. Do you think it makes a difference?

My calculator says 235,250,265 next week and 220,250,280 the next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:56 pm 

stuward wrote:
Peter, I just started 5/3/1 this week and my deadlift was 5x225, 235, 250. The calculator said 220 but that's too many plates to load.

Heh. I lift at home and for assorted reasons I have a metric assload of 5s and 10s. So it's easier for me to slap on a bunch of 5s and 10s and 2.5s than tilt the bar up for another 45, say. I even use the 35s that came with my set because they go on easily without moving the bar. The trap bar just sits there with 190 on it all week and I never take off the 45s I put back on when I came home from Japan and unpacked it from storage.

stuward wrote:
My question is, I'm doing 5% between sets where you're doing 10%. Obviously we're using different templates. Do you think it makes a difference?

I'm using template 1 from the book because when I read some of Jim Wendler's Q&A he kept suggesting it to people. I think the 10% jumps mean I still get work in but I have more left in the tank for the top set. For me, that top set is the one I really care about.

Plus, psychologically as well as physically, I find starting lighter on the sets makes it easier for me. Even my first set seems "light" and I don't feel like I'm burning myself up pulling the first few, just doing something between heavy warmups and light work.

For this reason when I put one of my clients on 5/3/1 I didn't even offer 5% jumps as an option. I just used the big jumps. He's pulled something like 5 x 400 the other day, so I can't say the 10% jumps are holding him back.

stuward wrote:
My calculator says 235,250,265 next week and 220,250,280 the next week.

Let me know how it goes. I'm always interested in seeing how people do on the same workout approach as me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 pm 

Now you can watch my crappy TGU form in action, starting around 2:24 in this video.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-jo ... rkout.html

I'm wearing my black SHOOTO t-shirt and AFS fight shorts. And I got a haircut. That's my coach in the sunglasses. Cut him some slack, he just had laser surgery on his eyes so he's still light sensitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm 

So I ran the numbers on my carb-up/cheat day on Saturday. Assuming the quantities are right, I ate in the neighborhood of 6500 kcals. Oops. I was aiming for 5500-6000, so that's a bit high. Still, I didn't eat much junk. I ate:

- piles of fruit (2 apples, a banana, an orange, lots and lots of dried cranberries, dried cherries, frozen blueberries) but only a few veggies (like, one carrot and one big salad and a lot of black olives)
- lots of whole grains (oatmeal, legume/whole grain pasta)
- eggs and egg whites, lamb, and some bacon for protein
- yogurt and protein powder for a snack
- flax seeds, flax seed oil, olive oil, and a metric buttload of nuts and seeds (pistachios, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds)
- some dark chocolate, wine, makizushi (a sushi roll), a Cliff Builder bar, and the IHOP buttermilk pancakes were my main cheaty foods. The chocolate is pure enough that it fits into my normal eating pattern.

Interesting, with all that eating, I didn't get a lot of protein. Like 280 or so. That's only around 1.5g per pound of bodyweight. I was primarily aiming for getting in carbs, though, and got around 520 of those, of which 60 were fiber. Heh. And just over 300g of fat! Wow. But less than 1/3 was saturated and there was a lot of polyunsatured. Lots of trail mix!

Next time, I'll get more protein and carbs in and a bit less fat. I went overboard on the trail mix. Heh. But seriously, I was hoping for a bit more carbs since I'm fueling up for two weeks of exercise.

Still, that was a lot of fun and it was nice not to weigh all my food for a change. I'll do another cheat day in 2 weeks after my 1+ x 305 trap bar deadlift day. After that, I'll tape off the diet properly and see where I end up.

(Editing later - I just noticed I'd screwed up and put too much down for flax seeds, hence a big jump in fat grams and fiber - fixed!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:32 am 

OK, so the 3x290 (do I remember right?) was good, but I'm really impressed by the 5x8x190! I'm finding a new respect for volume. And with the fat grip, too. Good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:45 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
OK, so the 3x290 (do I remember right?) was good, but I'm really impressed by the 5x8x190! I'm finding a new respect for volume. And with the fat grip, too. Good job.

Thanks.

Yeah, it was 3 x 290, I didn't rep out. I've done 5 x 290 before so I either needed 6 reps or it wasn't worth going for, especially on a diet!

The 5 x 8 x 190 is actually lower volume, I was doing 5 x 10 x 190, with rigid 1-minute breaks (I set up at 50 seconds, and lift within 10 seconds of getting set), but just with the bar...no Fat Gripz. The thick handle is brutal, but it's a good thing for me - it cuts down my volume a bit and gives me extra grip work.

Unrelated - I've finally put all my weight data for the past year into excel. I've been lax since October. I've had a steady drop in body fat, from a high of around 16% to what a few calculators peg at 10.5% or so (give or take .3%) now. That's about right, I can see my abs a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 am 

I decided to start carb-cycling, my second phase of the diet plan I'm on, one week early. This is for three reasons:

- the workouts at DeFranco's kick my ass even when I'm full of energy.
- I've already reached my 4-week goals (under 12% BF)
- I'm actually 5 pounds under my competitive weight, yet the weight class is 5 pounds below me...and I know I'll be weak if I go for it.

So I'm jacking up my intake by 1.5x on three days a week - Monday and Thursday (DeFranco's) and Saturday (Trap Bar DLs). Basically I upped the protein a bit, the carbs a lot, and dropped the fat a little bit. On the other days I'll stay with my strict low-carb, low-calorie plan for now. I'll adjust those as needed - I may slowly ramp up the calories.

My goal is to get within a very easy cut to 179.9 for 6/12, while keeping my bodyfat lower.

Boy did oatmeal taste good this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:10 am 

Back to "now what?"

I finished week 3 of my 5/3/1 cycle this week. Next week is a deload, not sure yet if I'll actually deload or not. Probably.

I pulled:

7 x 270 (324)
3 x 290 (309)
1 x 305 (305)

Not a bad cycle, although it's a far cry from a few cycles ago. But I managed to pull a next max single for a PR.

If I start a new cycle on 5/22, I'd just have time to finish it before Grappler's Quest on 6/12. I'd pull 5+ on 5/22, 3+ on 5/29, 1+ on 6/5. I'm concerned that's cutting it a bit close, especially going for a new PR (which would be what happens - a 1+ x 310 day on 6/5). If I start the cycle early - next week, no deload - I will finish on time, but I think my body does need a little recovery time.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm really not sure what I want to do here. I'd really rather add in an extra MMA day but my work schedule doesn't permit that. So I need to do some kind of lifting.

Do I pull heavy?

Do I re-set and pull lighter for more reps?

I could pull the same as last cycle but I won't enjoy that. A new challenge or a regression is fine, but the same weights as this cycle trying for more reps is very psychologically pressuring for me, and I'll be angry if I don't exceed my reps. Nevermind that's not what's important right now.

So I'm thinking about this pretty hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:54 pm 

Well, you could just forget 5/3/1 until after Grappler's Quest, and just do some maintenance sets on your regular DL days up until a week or so before the competition. Or you could do the cycle, but just cut it short, and skip the 5/3/1 week's lifting day, or delay it until after the competition. Either way, if you only miss a couple of weeks of heavy pulling, you won't lose anything and you can just pick up where you left off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:34 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, you could just forget 5/3/1 until after Grappler's Quest, and just do some maintenance sets on your regular DL days up until a week or so before the competition.

I'm thinking about that, but I'm not sure how heavy and how many sets/reps to go to maintain. Doing the same weights for the deadlift but only getting my goal reps, never going AMRAP, is possible. But I am not sure I'll be satisfied with that, and I'll either go AMRAP anyway or add on a pile of extra accessory movements anyway.

But it's a thought. If I can just restrain myself...

Another option is I could reset 5/3/1, do the first reset weeks, and just not pull AMRAP on the third week. That would amount to a lighter single a week before on my last workout. I'll play with the numbers on that, that might work.

Jungledoc wrote:
Or you could do the cycle, but just cut it short, and skip the 5/3/1 week's lifting day, or delay it until after the competition. Either way, if you only miss a couple of weeks of heavy pulling, you won't lose anything and you can just pick up where you left off.

It's true, but I prefer to keep my cycles clean and tight - 3 weeks hard, 1 week light, no breaks in the middle. That's just my preference, really.

I don't want to switch to something crazy-new (like doing a cycle of EDT, or 10 x 10, or heavy circuits, or whatever) because I'm concerned about injury and DOMS. No new movements, no new volume manipulation, nothing too exciting. I'm less than 5 weeks out now so I can't be doing anything goofy.

But thanks, you've gotten me thinking about some different approaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:15 am 

We'll expect a full report and video on GQ. The fighting competition, not the magazine. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next