ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:06 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Lots of fighters know how to fight, not how to lift. I knew a lot more than most of them and I still am much more knowledgeable now than I was a year ago. I've have more than one fighter reject my suggestion that they should train more like athletes than like bodybuilders, because "no, I need some muscle mass so I'll be stronger." That's not what bodybuilders are doing, but the perception of mass = strength so therefore I have to be big to be strong is common. Fighters aren't an exception.

Enjoy the Muay Thai. It might sting a bit, depending on how he trains. My current gym starts you on the mitts, then the heavy bag, and then you move to light contact sparring. But when I learned Kachin Bando (a Burmese martial art) my first lesson was roundhouse shin kicks to the legs...I was teamed up with a senior student, we put on shin guards, and kicked each other really hard in the legs for a one-hour class. I had to limp home and ran out of ice packs, and the bruises and lumps didn't fade for a while. So it all depends. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 pm 

KPJ - as you can see from my log, I bought the last of those foam rollers from the store.

I like it. It's easier to use on the pecs and lats than the medicine ball, much better on the hips than the med ball too. Not as good for the thoracic spine area, though, I vastly prefer the med ball. Hurts like f-ing crazy in some spots the med ball wasn't shaped well enough to get too.

I woke up this morning - 6/12/08 - and weighed myself. I was 85kg. Yay! I've upped my calories to 4000-4500 a day from 3000 a day, I've lifted hard, and I've even turned my "carb up" days into "all the crap I can shove in my face" days to see if that helps. I've dramatically increased the amount of money I spent on food, and I've used FitDay to track all of it. Yet I was 83 kg day in, day out, varying up or down 1 kg. So it was nice to see 85 on the scale this morning even if it was from all the post-workout pasta last night. Feels a little like progress on my lean mass gain attempt.

I hate those "hardgainers just don't eat enough" folks. Yeah, yeah, I'm eating 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per pound, I'm eating all day, I'm eating healthy, and I'm eating a lot of food...yet my body finds a way to burn it all off. Aargh. My wallet would love it if I went back to 3000 kcals a day, 1000 kcals of meat and fats and veggies isn't cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hah youre telling me, and in the US, its cheaper to eat crappy than healthy. I'm forcing myself to stay between 2200-2600 a day, and its still expensive as hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:50 pm 

You're spot on.

If I could tolerate carbs better, I'd be able to eat cheaper. But I don't. At least I save on fish oil caps by just eating lots of raw salmon and sardines. Making the most of it, I figure. My mom asked me yesterday if I was taking fish oil, and I said "I'm getting 10+ grams a day from eating fish." Caps couldn't hurt, but they cost so much here compared to just getting the fish itself. Which makes sense, if you think about the extra production involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:51 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Haha, fish oil costs about 10$ for 180 caps x 1200mg per cap. Fish itself costs more here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:06 pm 

Here the best cost per mg I've found comes to $18 for 90 softgels at less than 300mg per cap.

Compared that with, oh, sashimi-quality salong on sale, which would be 1.9 kg for the same price. When the fish is at its most expensive, it's more like 0.75 kg for the same price. Or I can just get 18 cans of sardines at 3.5g of EPA+DHA per can for $18. I think I'm better off with the fish. Not true back in NJ, though, where fish oil caps are cheaper than the fish. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:11 am 

pdellorto wrote:
KPJ - as you can see from my log, I bought the last of those foam rollers from the store.

I like it. It's easier to use on the pecs and lats than the medicine ball, much better on the hips than the med ball too. Not as good for the thoracic spine area, though, I vastly prefer the med ball. Hurts like f-ing crazy in some spots the med ball wasn't shaped well enough to get too.

Good stuff! I agree with the med ball being better for the upper back - can be quite brutal! Over time you build up a soft tissue work tool box, because different objects will work better for different muscles. So far i've got - standard foam roller, PVC pipe, tennis ball, field hockey ball, 2tennis balls taped together, med ball, and drum stick...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:52 am 

Peter--I loved the kid workout. It reminded me of the Youtube video of the guy doing bulldog complexes! You could do kid presses, kid squats, kid cleans. You'd all have fun.

What age students do you teach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:33 pm 

Now I teach Junior High, but I used to teach both Junior High and Elementary School. So to the older kids I'm their former teacher, to the really young ones I'm their sibling or neighbor's former teacher and giant friendly foreigner.

Come August I'll be either teaching a mixed bag of private students, or I'll be moving back to the US. Not sure yet. Be hard to get the right sized kids for lunges in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 pm 

It might be best if you started with a baby and lifted/lunged/squatted with him or her every day. Then in 18 or 20 years, you'll be really strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 pm 

Hopefully my niece will get bigger and bigger.

Curiously, back when 40kg was my 6-rep max for DB lunges I was able to lunge at least 5-6 times per side with 56kg guy on my shoulders. The load, being centered (albiet unruly and telling me to stop and trying to choke me), was easier than holding the dumbbells. Makes me want to get a weighted vest to help out my heavy lunges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:36 am 

Tomorrow starts my next, possibly last, 4-week training cycle in Japan.

I'm thinking through what I should do for my exercises. I'm sticking with WS4SB on a two-day setup, its working pretty well for me.

It'll be a big test, because I've chosen weighted chinups as my max-weight upper body exercise. That means hanging weight with the belt over my surgical scar.

I'm also not sure where I'll end up after, so I want to max my squats...I'm still debating Front Squats vs. Back Squats as my ME lower body exercise. I wanted to try Front Squats as a variation, but I already know I'm pretty good at them, and I can load Back Squats better.

Here's my plan, subject to last-minute changes:

Monday:
1) Front Squat or Back Squat
2) Bench Press (at 50-60% of 1 RM).
3) Step Ups (if back squat) or Single Leg RDL (if front squat)
*4) DB Shrugs
*5) Band Pull-Aparts
6) L-Chinup Holds
7) Dragon Flags

Thursday:
1) Long Jump
2) Weighted Chinups
3) BB RDL
4) DB Floor Press
*5) BB Rows or Inverted Rows (feet on bench, weighted)
*6) Rear Delt Fly
7) Ab/Back Circuit - V-Ups, Reverse Crunches, Bicycles, Back Extensions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:29 am 

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of sticking suitcase deadlifts (with a dumbbell) into there somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Be a bitch on Monday with L-Chinup holds and Dragon Flags, but not sure where to put it on Thursday. It's "core," because the limitation is my ability to keep straight with an uneven load, not my ability to lift a dumbbell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:34 am 

Hasn't Japan discovered the non-sedating anti-histamines, like loratidine and fenofexadine? And how about something topical to help relieve the symptoms without systemic side-effects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:22 am 

They probably have them, but I already had some OTC diphenhydramine hydrochloride so he said to just keep taking them.

So I'm sleepy. It's my own fault, I tried some anti-fungal soap to speed up the death of some athlete's foot fungus and instead I found out I'm allergic to something in the soap. Oh well. Now I'm dealing with Yet Another Allergic Reaction. Puts off "cleared to spar" another week or so. Too itchy from the hives!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next