It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:11 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
stuward wrote:
an austere location

...as in most of Canada?
Exactly, ice and polar bears.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 am 

Khronos8 wrote:
Stu, could you elaborate a little on your farmers walk work?

How far do you go for "1-lap", do you do unilateral, bilateral, etc when you switch to DB? What's a good progression? Do you use straps to hold on for long walks? better to carry plates or DBs?

I want to start working this in and I'd like to get your take on it.

Thanks!

I started a couple of years ago with moderate DBs and would do a lap around the gym once with 3 progressively heavier sets. Over the next couple of years I went from 60# to about 115#. I stalled out and tried straps and went to 125#. Most has been bilateral but I've done some unilateral. The grip always seems to be the limiting factor in both cases. I left it for a while and just did a maintenance workout every month or so. This year I decided to get back into it so I decided to do trapbar walks in the studio next to the weight room since there was more room. It's not practical to do that with DBs since it's as much work to carry the DBs to the syudio as the walk itself. I try to do the 3 times/week and I've been progressing by 10#/month. Usually the first time with a new weight is challenging but by 10 or 12 workouts, it's easier. Each time I've increased has gone well. I decided to go to DBs this month since I know April will be a write-off and I just wanted to be able to compare to what I used to do. I think as long as I get a reasonable volume, and it seems 2 warmup sets and 1 heavy set of 80-120 feet seems to work for me, and do it frequently enough (2-3 times/wk), I can make monthly progression. When I started out initially, it was weekly.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 am 

Muchas Gracias!

I'll try it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 am 

Stu--didn't know if you'd prefer this here or in the middle of your log.

I looked up the FB page, and the photos. I know I saw you in the group photo, but I couldn't tell which of the guys I was seeing was you!

A couple of questions. Why are the Canadian Air Force and Navy "Royal", and the Army is just the Army, and not Royal?

Who are the Rangers?

I loved seeing the Twin Otters. Are these the "new generation" otters that are being build currently, or the old classics? The Twin Otter is one of the workhorses of the MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship, an organization that serves many mission organizations as well as many isolated communities) here in PNG. Their 2 remaining Otters were built 30 or more years ago, have been rebuilt many times, but are still solid, reliable planes that can take off and land with less runway than any of the other planes in their fleet. Sadly, their third one was lost, along with 2 of their great pilots, in a crash a few years ago. I was involved in caring for the survivors. PNG is one of the most dangerous places in the world to fly airplanes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:39 pm 

Andy, I'm the tall guy in the back with no sunglasses.

Army doesn't have to be "Royal" since many of the units have carried that designation all along. At least that's the way I understand it.

The Rangers are local experts on the land, mostly Inuit, that provide presence and eyes on the remote locations.

Some of the Air Force guys were talking about the new Otters. We don't have them yet. These old ones are quite robust and serviceable.

The Arctic is pretty dangerous too. Last summer the local comunity lost 3 planes within 6 weeks. One was a 737-200 with 15 aboard. 12 died. It was during another operation here in Resolute Bay and our guys were immediately on the scene since it happened right in front of them. One of the others was a twin otter. In the 3 crashes, 9 passengers and 7 crew were killed.

I got up in one of the planes the other day and flew over to Devon Island. I saw the graves from the Franklin Expedition and some icebergs. The landscape here is amazing, even when covered in snow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:53 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Quote:
Someone posted a resolution thread earlier which I chose to ignore. My goal for 2013 is to meet or exceed intermediate strength levels for 50+ males @198 lbs according to Kilgore's FIT book.

Bench 160
Power Clean 155
Deadlift 255
Press 110
Power Snatch 125
Back Squat 215
Pushups 25
Pull ups 7
Situps 30
1 Mile run 8:00
1000 m row 4:00

Do you have any idea about your current fitness levels then? Are these hard goals to achieve?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:57 pm 

Because I haven't been consistent withing the last several months, these are all challenging but they should all be achievable. I've hit or come close to all of these within the last few years.

I had never seen a standard chart broken down by age before.

The great thing is that all I would have to do is maintain those levels and I'll be advanced by the time I'm 60 which is only in 4 years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:57 pm 

New job? Are you out of the military?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 pm 

Still in the military. Just a different job. 3 1/2 more years to cumpulsary retirement age.