ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 38  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:52 am 

The tire pulling has been fun. I probably should do it after the main exercise on a leg day. Today I pulled the tire first then went in and deadlifted. I'm not sure how much better I would have done had I not pulled, but I was pretty tired. Either I will pull later on leg days, or just insert an extra day once in a while for dragging, then maybe some upper body assistance or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:42 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Doc,

I'd either do tire pulling as a warmup, or as a single-leg exercise after deadlifting.

I've dragged a sled before squatting, but never as heavy or as long as if I'm doing it for conditioning or a heavy lift. So you'll see me drag the sled with a few plates on a slow walk around the building as a squat warmup, but you won't see me drag it for short sprints before I squat or deadlift. If I do that, it's after. I think that's the way to treat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:40 pm 

That sounds better to me. I wish the tire were just a little lighter so I could use it for lighter warm-ups, etc. As it is, it's a lot of hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:53 am 

So back into 5/3/1. Reps for two of the lifts have gone up significantly (Bench 5-->9, Squat 6-->9 for the same weights), one stayed the same (dead), and 1 was due for a reset anyway. So the 4 weeks doing APRE wasn't a waste of time.

I'm going to still be lifting 4 days per week like I started to do with APRE. I'll be doing each of the 4 big lifts in heavy (don't the 5/3/1 progression) and light days, doing the light version as an assistance lift on a different day, so that I'm doing each one twice per week. (i.e. light bench on press day, and vice versa; good mornings are a surrogate for light DL) I'm not sore as often as I was before, and my impression is that I'm making better gains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:40 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nice squat pr, doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm 

Hey, thanks. I think I'm doing something different psychologically on squat. Or something. I was both surprised and happy to look back in my log and see how many more reps I got this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:51 am 

I've known since last week that I'd probably get a PR of some kind today on squat. For the current cycle I'm using the same training max that I used 2 months ago, before my brief foray into a month of higher-rep training. On the 5+ set 2 weeks ago, I got 9 reps, as opposed to 6 2 months ago. On the 3+ set last week I got 9 reps again, as opposed to 4 the previous time. Then I read about Peter's DL max and it gave me some inspiration and motivation.

I thought about whether to stick with the 5/3/1 format and try for a second or third rep at 220, or do some singles and see how far I could take it. I obviously opted for the latter. The 245 probably didn't look that great, although I was alone, so no one else saw it. I thought for a moment that I'd gone too far and that it wasn't going to go up. In a way, it was good to do this by myself (I stay more focused when I'm alone), but it would have been fun to have someone there to share it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 am 

Good job on the squat Doc, there's PR's being broken all over the place at the moment.

Incindentally, Wendler has commented on going for a 1RM using 5/3/1. This would be used on the last week.

Set one - 3 reps - Set two - 1 rep - Set three - 1 rep Keep working up to 1RM, I'd use a little bigger than 5% jumps though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:30 pm 

Thanks. I should review what he says. I just did the weights that were on the chart for 5 and 3, then convenient changes. Oh, and the symmetry of a pair of wheels on the bar, then just added a pair of 10s. I should have planned more carefully what weight I was going for, but if I had I wouldn't have gotten as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:36 pm 

320 is a nice deadlift. Only 15 pounds to catch me and 20 to beat me, and at a lighter bodyweight, too!

Nice going Doc. In a few more cycles you should email Jim Wendler and detail your progress. You're a poster child for 5/3/1 at this point. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:20 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
320 is a nice deadlift. Only 15 pounds to catch me and 20 to beat me, and at a lighter bodyweight, too!

Nice going Doc. In a few more cycles you should email Jim Wendler and detail your progress. You're a poster child for 5/3/1 at this point. :D
Peter--Thanks for the kudo and for the suggestion. In order for me to catch you, though, you have to promise not to make any further progress! I suspect that at 57 and 37, you will be going up a little faster than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 pm 

Proper Knob wrote:
Good job on the squat Doc, there's PR's being broken all over the place at the moment.

Incindentally, Wendler has commented on going for a 1RM using 5/3/1. This would be used on the last week.

Set one - 3 reps - Set two - 1 rep - Set three - 1 rep Keep working up to 1RM, I'd use a little bigger than 5% jumps though.
After you posted this, I tried to find it in the book. All I found was a FAQ where he basically discouraged you from testing 1RMs, and said that a 1RM is no better or worse than a 5RM. There he said not to miss a training day to test, but just do the prescribed reps, and then go up. My 5/3/1 weeks are so close to an absolute max, that if I did that I'd be to tired to go any higher. I'm going to test bench today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm 

That was from Jim Wendlers training log on elitefts.com here's the link.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-log ... 083&tid=63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
In order for me to catch you, though, you have to promise not to make any further progress! I suspect that at 57 and 37, you will be going up a little faster than me.

38. :)

I'm lagging you on squats, and not far ahead on deadlifts. Plus I outweigh you significantly, I think - I walk around close to 190 these days, so pound-for-pound I think you're ahead of me.

Maybe if I prioritized my big lift numbers I could jump ahead, but that's not going to happen. I'd be less than surprised if you eventually catch me in DL numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:13 am 

I'm feeling pretty tired and sore. The soreness is more than just DOMS. It's mostly in my low back. I've blamed it on my recliner where I sit in the evenings, but I'm not sure. When I sit in my office chair all evening (which never bothered me in the past) I'm still sore. Usually after being active all day I feel better, so on lifting days I usually feel fine by the time I get to the gym. It's been coming on gradually. Today was really the first time I felt it during lifting.

A few months ago I changed from a 3 days/week to a 4 days/week schedule, because I didn't think I was doing the lifts often enough. Up til the last week or two I've been pretty happy with that, and feel like I've gained better on that. Also at the same time I shifted so that I do each lift twice per week, with a heavy day and a light day. Also, I've felt that this was better for my lifting. Now I'm wondering if that's too often for me.

I've been getting a bit less sleep than usual the last couple of weeks--vacation is bad for me that way. I usually think I can stay up as late as I want, since I don't have to get up for work in the morning, but I don't end up sleeping that much later after all.

I'm wondering if taking last week to do the variety stuff was a mistake. I ended up being able to stay pretty much on my regular schedule, so I could have just started this 5/3/1 cycle then. Maybe I was weak today because it's been 3 weeks since I DL'd heavy.

So anyway, I'm pondering what I need to do. Maybe I should cut down on the volume of stuff that affects my back, squat and DL. Maybe I should lay off those for a couple of weeks, and just do single-leg work. Maybe I should re-arrange my lifting schedule again to go back to 3 days per week, maybe just DLing once per week, something like

Tues--Heavy bench, light squat
Thurs--DL, press
Sat--Heavy squat, light bench

Or maybe something else. Maybe just admit I'm old, and it's too late for me to get much stronger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 38  Next