ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:10 am 

Hey, thanks!

I'm in the US at the moment, and the place where I'm staying has an internet filter that blocks YouTube. I've seen the plate-switching before, but I don't think I've seen the other one.

I'll look at them sometime after I get home, which will be Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:37 am 

It was a bit strange lifting at the college gym. The building has been remodeled since my student days; the old weight room is now the ROTC office (why the ROTC office is in the PE building is beyond me, maybe it's the only place they could find to put them). The pool where I learned to swim (yeah, I couldn't swim until my sophomore year of college!) is now an indoor soccer court. The building was brand-new then; now there's a new addition that has doubled the size.

There are now two large weight rooms, one is on the second floor, in the corner, with lots of windows. There are lots of machines, both weight machines and squirl-cage cardio machines. It doesn't look like there's a big emphasis on free weights. I had to search for a place to do seated rows, which was in the down-stairs weight room.

I've suddenly become weak on bench. I thought it was because of not enough sleep, but I got 8.5 hr last night. Strange.

Ironically, Sam, who hasn't lifted for a month, matched his old 1RM on the bench.

Deads felt pretty good. Now my back is tired, and I'll probably have some DOMS tomorrow, but I don't think it will be any big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It happens, you'll sometimes hit a PR and then have trouble approaching it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially on the bench.

It's nice to hear the deads are coming along. Those and your chins seem to be your real indicators of progress - if they go up, your workouts are clearly working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 am 

Well, tomorrow is my last time to lift with Sam for 7 months. I'll probably go ahead and DL again, since with travel and the first couple of days back home I probably won't lift for several days. I don't know that riding around on airplanes and having your sleep cycles all screwed up is all that good for recovery!

By the way, we traveled about when you came back to the US, and we had a 6-hour layover at Narita (on Aug 10, I think). I watched for tall, think guys with scars on their face, but I didn't see you. As far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:01 am 

I wasn't there until 8/16 so I doubt it was me. :wink:

Besides, you can't even see the scar. Unless I close my left eye, you can't see the cut. They did it right in the seam where my skin folds.

I think plane rides are bad for recovery, but just stick that cruddy pillow they give you in your lower back for support and relax. Don't want to rest with a rounded back after DLs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:00 am 

I'm back home, and need to get settled into a new routine for the next few weeks. My back is good, but I want to keep it that way, so I'm going slowly and cautiously.

I have good news on the work-out partner front. Although Sam is now in college (and has continued lifting!) and Jeff is in the US for the next 6 months, my wife has said that she wants to start doing free weights with me! This may be a challenge to the strength of our marriage, or a threat to my life! But the marriage has survived for 32 years, it should be able to take a few hours in the gym per week. My challenge is to coach without being bossy. Not my nature.

Here's the rotation. It's intended to keep the heavy lifts to once a week, the others twice per week; this way the workouts vary over a two-week cycle. I'm making no attempt to do a body part split, or a push/pull split at this point. I don't think I've maxed out my ability to benefit from linear progression, so I'll stay whole-body, 1-2 days of recovery. I may be doing some complexes on the "off" days.

Monday
SL Split Squat
SS Chins
Press
Pallof Press

Wednesday
Squat*
SS Bench
Face Pulls with ER
PU Iso Holds or front plank plate-switches

Saturday
Deadlift**
SS Chins
Press
Side Planks

Monday
SL Split Squat
SS Bench
Face Pulls with ER
Pallof Press

Wednesday
Squat
SS Chin
Press
PU Iso Holds or front plank plate-switches

Saturday
Deadlift
SS Bench
Face Pulls with ER
Side Planks

*For now I'll continue with "squat prep" exercises, lunges, step-ups, etc., or some BW squats
**I'll continue with "rack pulls" or limited ROM DLs

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, comments please, on choice of exercises, order, marital counseling, or anything else that occurs to any of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:12 am 

How long until you're bent pressing, doing two-hand-anyhows, and saxon side bends?

I'll vouch for bent presses with a dumbbell and windmills. I did the bent presses and called them "side presses" but it's all the same exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:48 am 

How long?

Well, probably not yet this weekend. I've got some 3# DBs to start with (they're pink!).

From looking at YouTube videos, I've seen some differences in what people are calling bent press and side press. I'm not sure what the correct distinction is, and I may never really need to know. In one (I think this is the true bent press), with the weight at the shoulder, you press it up at the same time as you drop the body down into that horrible-looking bent-over position, so that the weight almost doesn't really move. Then you straighten up. With the other (I think this is the side press) you bend over with the weight at your shoulder, then press it up in relation to gravity, laterally in relation to your shoulder, and stay in the bent over position. I think I'll discover new flexibility issues when I try this.

You're stuff at DeFranco's sounds really great. I'd love to be able to work with a really good coach. I've thought of trying to get just a few sessions somewhere and focus on form and technique. I don't know how I'd be able to do it, either financially or in time commitment. I'd have to work out a speaking schedule in the area of the coach's gym in order to justify it, so that I could make the training sessions and still drive to the speaking engagements. A lot would have to fall into place, but you never know.

Do you have a fight scheduled? Are you thinking about when you will be ready? I'd love to come and be the fight doctor!

Did you catch that my wife is lifting with me? It's fun. She's a really good sport, and goes hard when she needs to. She did taekwando the same way. I promised to get up with her in the morning, and go with her so she can run outside the station (which wouldn't be safe for an unaccompanied female). She gets really bored with running the same route inside the station, and wants some variety. So Saturday, not on call, but I'll get up early, so I'd better head for bed now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:04 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

The sidepress is acually a little different. There are some minor differences. The side press is kind of like a "power bent press" in that it's upper body only. In the bent press, you actually kind of dip-screw yourself under the bar by bending the legs, dipping down under the barto help allow the arm to straighten up while the upper body gets parallel to the floor. Once you get the arm straight, then the trunk straightens up and you screw-squat back up to a full upright standing position.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:30 pm 

"Dip-screw" and "screw-squat" just sound wrong. They sound like things famous coaches would rant against on T-Nation. "Five Exercises you Should Never Attempt": the Lumbar Torsion Twist, the Inverted Weighted Alternating Superman, Neck-Breakers, Dip-Screw and Screw-Squat.

Thanks, Tim. I may try them with the pink DBs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:25 pm 

Some trainers, good ones, don't charge much for short-term consultations. Getting an hour of deadlift training last December cost, basically, peanuts. It's always worth asking.

It would be awesome have you as the fight doctor at my next fight. When that'll be, I don't know. I'm going to try to get a grappling event next, so I don't have to worry about getting struck in the face. Last time I saw an x-ray my cheek was still slightly fractured, and a nurse gym buddy of mine told me to wait a year before I start taking full-force strikes to the face again. Now I'm back in the US, so I have no idea how I'd swing an x-ray without paying out of pocket for a doctor to send me to one and then for the x-rays myself. I figure the best bet is to just focus on my ground fighting...and a wrestling event would be a good way to test out my progress. Need health insurance first though, bleh...

And yeah I noticed your wife is lifting with you. That seems pretty cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 am 

Yeah, Doc. Those terms sound terribly wrong. But you;ll see what I mean when you look at those U tube videos on HOW they are squatting when getting into the low position with arm raised overhead.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:50 pm 

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The terms still sound painful to me.

I found something that I say months ago, and hadn't been able to locate again. I had thought it was video, but it's just a series of still photos. Still pretty fun. I'll add it to the other thread about bent press, as I doubt many forum members come here.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/282/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:55 pm 

I like the legs/pull/push/abs workout you have going. Short, hard, to the point. I also like how you're mixing up the reps - pushing to failure on the supersets, but doing higher reps on the single leg work and low reps on the strength work, too.

It looks like a really nice workout. You're hitting everything, and rotating around well enough that you don't miss anything yet finish quickly.

I enjoy checking on your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:12 pm 

Thanks! Hopefully there'll be more progress to track in the coming weeks.

I'm going to try to work in 6-week cycles, just to change things up once in a while. I'm 2 weeks in to the first cycle. We'll see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next