ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 38  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:23 pm 

I'm writing on behalf of my quads and glutes, who feel that their opinions do not get a fair representation in the forum. They would just like to say that they do not like the Bulgarians, and wish they would keep their stinkin' squats in Bulgaria. I, on the other hand, think I've found a great way to get back into full back squats. Just 18# in each hand, and I couldn't finish 5x5! 36 hours later, the above-mentioned muscles are crying like babies.

Hmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:37 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Bulgarian Split Squats are very, very effective. And really hard. I walk away rubber-legged from doing them. I often have to stop and re-set my balance, too. They annoy me because they're hard and I look goofy when I lose my balance, but I know they're making me stronger.

Heck, the only time another trainee at DeFranco's gave me a "come on, get that rep" was me trying to get my final rep on Bulgarian Split-Squats with like 15# DBs. They are hard work, they really put a stretch in the back leg's hamstrings.

I actually just talked to my mom and said "The day after I work out [at DeFranco's] three things always feel sore - my upper back, my abs, and my ass." Why? Uhm, squats, split squats, squats, jumps, split squats, reverse hypers, back extensions, squats and more split squats maybe.

I applaud your body for being willing to do all those split squats. My body feels that way about Bulgarians. My hamstrings aren't too sure about Romanians, either. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:21 pm 

Andy, two comments:

Bench Press - if 5 x 35s is easy, why didn't you up the reps a little? Do 6s or 8s?

Face Pulls - I do face pulls with one foot up on the bench to stabilize, cable coming from above my face height. Everyone uses the same rig, so even shorter trainees use the same setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:13 pm 

I wasn't sure how later sets would be with limited rest, and I hadn't used DBs for a few weeks. I went 8 on the last set. There's room to go up.

Having tried the FPs both ways, I think it's easier to get the form I want with the high position. On vacation I used setups in a couple gyms that allowed moving the pulley up and down, and I could put it at about forehead level, which seems ideal to me. And yeah, I put my foot out for stability. I actually put it on the knee pad of the leg curl setup on the machine. I'm using a towel in place of a rope grip. The fitness equipment suppliers want like 28 bucks for a piece of rope and a little metal ring to clip the caribiner to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:36 am 

Stuart McRobert used to say the cheapest, and best, cable exercise handle was a belt from an old bathrobe. Sturdy, thick, easy to grab, etc.

And you know I love towel chins! I'll never complain about people using a towel. It's fun doing rows and pulldowns and face pulls at my gym with actual handles, but I actually miss doing them with towels more. Great for the grip and cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:59 am 

Andy, did you really press 180# for 5 reps? Holy crap!

Please tell me that's your bench press, not overhead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hey I just noticed you do Single Leg Split Squats, I'm doing them unweighted at the moment, well I say unweighted but I carry the majority of my excess weight on the torso so it's probably with like 30kg! lol

Anyway, enough silliness, my question is, do you have a good technique I can incorporate to limit the assistance from the rear leg? I'm finding that I am helping out a lot with the rear quad during the upward phase of the motion!

If you like I don't mind if you delete/move this post as it's not really a discussion of your journal!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:28 pm 
n00b
n00b

excuse me mr jungle but how old are you because you seem very experienced to me. and also i have found that doing dead lifts twice a week is a realy good thing when lifting for power and such. But the problem is lifting without a good warm up is a terrible thing to do. When i was starting off lifting my dad told me lifting without warming up is horrible because he said your muscles are like metal, normal metal is very hard to bend or move around but when you heat that same metal you can shape it or form it to whatever you want it to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:17 am 

jeffrerr wrote:
Hey I just noticed you do Single Leg Split Squats, I'm doing them unweighted at the moment, well I say unweighted but I carry the majority of my excess weight on the torso so it's probably with like 30kg! lol

Anyway, enough silliness, my question is, do you have a good technique I can incorporate to limit the assistance from the rear leg? I'm finding that I am helping out a lot with the rear quad during the upward phase of the motion!

If you like I don't mind if you delete/move this post as it's not really a discussion of your journal!

John

I'm doing "Bulgarian split squats" with the rear foot up on a bench. With it up, you can't really use it for any lift, and the whole load goes on the front leg.

See: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:20 am 

ListaniMontan wrote:
excuse me mr jungle but how old are you because you seem very experienced to me. and also i have found that doing dead lifts twice a week is a realy good thing when lifting for power and such. But the problem is lifting without a good warm up is a terrible thing to do. When i was starting off lifting my dad told me lifting without warming up is horrible because he said your muscles are like metal, normal metal is very hard to bend or move around but when you heat that same metal you can shape it or form it to whatever you want it to be.

Excuse me, Mr. Listani, but my dad told me the same thing, and that's why I always warm up before each lift.

I'm really old, and I've found doing deadlift twice a week is a really bad thing for me, since I'm old and it makes by back hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:26 am 

pdellorto wrote:
Andy, did you really press 180# for 5 reps? Holy crap!

Please tell me that's your bench press, not overhead...

Hahaha!!!

That was just to check if you were really paying attention.

Well, actually it was a typo, but it was only off by 100#! I was struggling with 80. 180, btw, is my 1rm for flat bench!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:43 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hey Andy,

That's the type of split squat I'm using, I've obviously got too much rearward movement on the decent or something going on as I feel a lot of 'tension' in the quad of the rear leg! I don't have a camera or I'd post a video of my form so someone could give me tips! I better just make the wife read Starting Strength and watch SquatRx so she can assess me! lol

Thanks for the answer mate! Or should I say Mr Jungle??? :roll:

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:52 am 

Well, if your weight is centered over the front foot, just forget about the rear one. If it seems to take a bit of weight, don't worry about it. I don't think that there's any way that you can lift enough with the rear leg to take away much from the front one.

Be sure to stand far enough away from the bench; you'll have to experiment a bit with that. My front heel is 24" away from the front of the box that I use. I'm not usually that anal about such things, but I have a 24" carpet square that I put in front of the box. Also, the box should be high enough so that you don't hit the floor with the rear knee before you get low enough. I have the choice of 14", 16" and 18", and I use 16".

Also, you'll find that it's easier to balance when you have DBs in your hands.

Yeah, "Mr. Jungle" works! Or, to be formal, "Dr. Jungle." :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:13 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks Dr Jungle!

I'll give the DB's a try tonight and see how I go! I've been doing them near a wall so I can use it to adjust my balance if i get in trouble! I'm also using them to get the depth into my squat position so I think if I go a bit further away I can get lower with the front leg without the knee touching the ground! They're certainly a good exercsie for the quads and a litle bit of flexibility in the adductors of the fron leg and hip flexors of the rear leg!

Cheers,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:08 am 

John and Dr. J -

The trick I learned was to keep my weight centered on the front heel. It helps if you do this barefoot or with flat shoes. When I tried doing Bulgarian split squats in my crosstrainers, it was harder to keep my foot flat on the ground thanks to arch support, etc. Barefoot or in my Chuck Taylors it was no problem.

I wouldn't worry if you get a little push from the back leg. Just try to think "weight down, feet flat" and you'll be okay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 38  Next