ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:16 pm 

I sure ate well the summer I was there. One thing I loved was banana wrapped in a lumpia wrapper, fried in oil and then rolled in brown sugar. Wow. Most of my philippino friends ate 6 or 7 times a day, and they were almost all lean.

In those days (1974) I was 6' and 145#! Went up 10# the next year, and then got married, and continued on up from there. I blame my wife for overfeeding me after that. Of course, she didn't force any of the food into my mouth.

Do you mind saying what part of the PI you live in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:49 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

i like the food that you said. it's called turon or toron. it's what i'm currently snacking on :grin:

anyway, i live at Sucat, Paranaque, about 30mins to 1 hour from the airport depending on the traffic

Last edited by uvhst3p on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:24 am 

While you are waiting to find more weights, you may want to try some other exercises that don't require as much weight as deadlifts and squats.

Here is a routine for the lower body that doesn't require any added weight, although you can once you're strong enough.
http://www.ironmag.com/archive/ironmag/ ... aining.htm

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:25 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

The advice you've gotten is good. I'd say the best thing to do though is get some more plates or make your own. You can change exercises, you can add reps, you can shorten up the rest times, whatever, but in the end to really benefit you'll need to up the weight. That means more plates.

It might be an expense, I'm not sure if barbells and plates are ridiculously overpriced in the Phils, like here in Japan, or relatively cheap and accessible like in the US. But it's an investment in your continued strength gains. Using all the plates you've got already is just a sign of how much stronger you can get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:22 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

well, the malls are closer to my home so commuting with the weights ain't going to be a problem. only issue there is that the plates cost around 70 cents or 33 pesos per pound

on the other hand, there are cheaper weights that i can buy at around 28 pesos or 60 cents per pound but the store where they are sold is very very very far so commuting WILL be a problem

i'm waiting for a call any day now if the company will hire me as a computer programmer. i have to land that job so that i can buy more weights :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 am 

For a temporary measure, how about a couple of bags of sand? If you have 10 lb. plates, you can use 2 to estimate the weight. Measure the sand and put the same amount in each bag. Tie the top of the bag with twine, and hang one from each side of the bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

in your opinions, are the local weight plates overpriced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:13 am 

Does it really matter? If that's what they cost, either you need to buy them or find a cheap substitute. But it's not a crazy price. Not cheap, no, but still, not bad, assuming you've got the money for them.

If not, yeah, find cheap and heavy stuff you can hang from the bars. Chains, sand, scrap metal, bags of rocks. Plates are most convenient but do what you've got to do to get stronger and you won't regret it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 am 

It doesn't sound bad to me, but I don't know the local economy. At 70 cents per pound, a 25-lb plate will cost you $17-18. In the US, that's about the cost of a meal meal for two in a fast-food place, or for one at Denny's. So for a pair of 25s I could take my wife out.

What would that buy locally?

Certainly, getting the weight somewhere else will add shipping costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:55 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

well, the 25 lb plate would cost 825 pesos. that's about 4 to 5 mcdonald's take outs, 3 to 4 meals in other fast food chains, 2 to 3 meals in restaurants or 1 meal in a very classy 5 star high priced restaurant. :smile:

i'd be able to buy more food and other stuff with the cost of two 25# plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 pm 

Well, you need the food! Maybe after you get the new job you can justify the plates.

How about bottles of water? If you can use 2 identical jugs, and fill them equally, they should weigh about the same. You can estimate the weight pretty close from the volume ("a pint's a pound the world around") or obviously, 1 mg/ml. Tie string on them and loop over the ends of your bar.

Ask around for people who own weights. Often people buy them, and then don't use them very long. Maybe you can buy some plates cheaply!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:51 am 

In a low-bar squat, I think it's normal to have to "hold" the bar in place. I think of having a "big chest" and trying to bend the bar across my bar like I'm a strongman in a circus. It doesn't bend, but it holds in place. For some people the low-bar is more difficult.

Not to discourage you from doing the workout you're doing, but I posted a link to an article in Andy (Jungledoc's) comments thread. It's a link to doing gynmastics exercises for strength. If you start to run out of plates, you might want to try some gymnastics holds - work up to a front lever and a planche. Can't hurt...and isometrics are good for strength, too.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:28 am 

Anshan! Congratulations on the job! I hope it goes well for you.

If you're going to work out immediately upon getting home, maybe you could eat on the way home (balut, anyone?). If you eat fairly lightly, mostly protein, some carb, you should be fine for the workout. Then afterward have some of your mom's pansit or lumpia. Fresh pinapple, and a few of those little tiny really sweet bananas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 am 

Just thought I would add...

I normally train when I get back from work. What I currently do is, eat veggies and meat (shake if I have no meat), with a fish oil and multi vit just before I leave. So, eat then walk out the door. Leave work, get home in about 20 minutes, then I spend 10minutes foam rolling at home. When I get to the gym (5-10 minutes away) I have a shake mixed before I start, I make it a big shake and knock back a few mouth fulls before I start and just sip away at the rest of it throughout the work out... Then I have my post work out shake straight after the work out....

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:11 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

i just browsed through the article Peter. looks pretty difficult. it's like breakdancing without moving. i'll try it some time

thanks andy! i really hope it goes well but i hate the work hours and days. see my latest journal post

KPj and all of the readers, please see my latest journal post for some more info :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next