ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:32 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

The industry i'm in is renowned for it's conferences and events, which are really just an excuse to get very drunk (and for old execs to flirt with young retail workers). In my business, a night out getting drunk with other people in the industry can (and is the best way to) lead to very profitable relationships. In fact, my own boss has a tactic where he has one drink for eveyone elses 4 drinks, but does it discreetly so that the other guys are not aware he is drinking less (his technique is amazing). This is just so he can keep his wits about him, whilst the people who's money he's trying to take will tell him anything by the end of the night.

He always says, "if they wake up the next morning with a sore head and can't remember anything, they know they've had an an amazing night, and they'll love you for it. [1 million dollars]£400 in one night can lead to thousands per month for years"

Once you settle in and people get to know you, they will understand that it's nothing personal, you just don't want to drink.

I wanted to ask about this,

uvhst3p wrote:
1. I don't drink because I have gastro.

Do you mean that you "have gastro" or that you get it only when you drink?

The reason i'm asking is because over the last 6-9months, whenever my girlfriend drinks certain things, the next day she has Gastro symptoms. She's ends up in A LOT of pain. We don't really know what the deal is with it. When she drinks beer, shes ok. But if she drinks Vodka with sugary soft drinks added to them (her preference), then even if she doesn't drink much she will be in a lot of pain the next day.... Weird.

I think it's her diet, personally, but the severity of the symptoms does make me think otherwise...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

well, i have been diagnosed with gastroenteritis a couple of years ago and i still have it. every time i drink acidic liquids or alcohol or beer or spicy foods or sour foods (there are lots of foods and drinks that's prohibited for me), i feel a lot of pain. it's like knives stabbing my stomach most of the time and my belly also stiffens up sometimes.

maybe you and your girl could go to the doctor for a check up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 am 

Interesting... No foods seem to really bother her, just seems to be certain alcohol and refined sugar containing drinks. Although, she generally eats what I eat - meat, veg, oats, rice etc so maybe just been lucky.

My girlfriend was actually diagnosed with it a couple of years ago.... But we had no idea it could last that long. Maybe she still has it...

Yes, going to a doc would be a sensible thing to do. She was always reluctant, since it's only ever happened after drinking she assumed she would just get told it was a hangover... Even though it's blatantly more than that as the pain you describe is exactly what she gets,and some other less than desirable symptoms. Some of our Docs really couldn't care less - no offense to Jungledoc if you read this, or any other Doctor for that matter.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:19 am 

It's nice watching the weights steadily creep up in your log. You're making good, steady progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:19 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

thanks man. well, it's still early in the weights so maybe it's easy for me to move up steadily

hey guys, check out my latest entry. i have a question there. thanks :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:24 am 

Rather than take a week or 2 off, do something different this week and then start up again next week. Stay active. It's too easy to get out of the habit. You are learning a healthy habit right now which should be your most important goal at this stage. Consistency and sticking with it will take you further that having the perfect program but not doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:11 pm 

Philippine bananas! They were the best I ever ate, until I moved to PNG. I really liked those little tiny ones, about the size of a man's finger. Really sweet. We don't have those in PNG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:00 am 

Anshan!

Wow. You're diet today was almost totally carbs! And it doesn't really look like much food, in total. Your only protein came from McDonalds. The peanut butter that I see for the last couple of days is a good thing. Can you get eggs? Are they expensive? They are a great source of both protein and fat. I would think that balut would be good. Pick up a couple on the way to work in the mornings, maybe a couple more in the evening.

Is "Shanghai Roll" another name for lumpia?

I know that meat is expensive there, but if you can get a little everyday (that wasn't prepared by McDonald's) it would be good.

I remeber that aso was a pretty good, lean meat. How expensive is it? Are you Togalog? I remember that Togalogs don't usually eat aso. I bragged to a Togalog friend that I'd eaten it--I thought he'd be proud of me, but and he made a sick face just like the average American would!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:48 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Anshan!

Wow. You're diet today was almost totally carbs! And it doesn't really look like much food, in total. Your only protein came from McDonalds. The peanut butter that I see for the last couple of days is a good thing. Can you get eggs? Are they expensive? They are a great source of both protein and fat. I would think that balut would be good. Pick up a couple on the way to work in the mornings, maybe a couple more in the evening.

Is "Shanghai Roll" another name for lumpia?

I know that meat is expensive there, but if you can get a little everyday (that wasn't prepared by McDonald's) it would be good.

I remeber that aso was a pretty good, lean meat. How expensive is it? Are you Togalog? I remember that Togalogs don't usually eat aso. I bragged to a Togalog friend that I'd eaten it--I thought he'd be proud of me, but and he made a sick face just like the average American would!

actually, i noticed that i had the wrong diet this week because i grew some fat around the belly. i was actually trying to cut down on the carbs so that i could see some abs. also the fats, i'm also trying to cut down on that so i ate the dark chocolate that my mom sent me as often as i could so i would have none to eat in the future.

ain't eating eggs everyday bad for the heart or something? when i eat eggs, i usually eat them at dinner because, i don't know about this, maybe it's just me, but when i eat eggs for breakfast, my stomach aches and i usually feel like going to the comfort room thus making me leave home late and making me arrive in the office late. also, i don't eat eggs much because i don't know what food to eat them with or what kind of cooking should be done. balut is very rare in the place where i live at but when i see someone selling, i'm definitely buying

yeah, shanghai rolls are the same as lumpia. only that we call 'em shanghai rolls more often because lumpia is more like vegetable stuffed than meat stuffed

man, i haven't tasted dogs or cats. only the hardcore pinoys or the adventurous ones eat 'em. from what i know, dogs are only sold in specialty markets or something since i haven't seen those being sold at normal markets. i think there's some kind of law against animal cruelty when it comes to cats or dogs being sold/eaten

yeah, meat is really expensive here. well, fresh meat is expensive, processed meat is not. i just went to the grocery the other day to buy some chicken nuggets, chicken wings, bacon strips....i think that's it. the nuggets would last about 3 days, the wings about 2 days and same with the bacon strips.

any of you guys got any advice on what food should i eat? i'm asking food for breakfast and dinner only because for lunch, there's the canteen food.

by the way, next week, since i noticed that the whole wheat bread made me gain some fat, i think i'll be eating oat meal for breakfast. oh wait, i forgot to buy some milk

oh, i forgot to tell, i am a light eater. my office mates often tease me at lunch asking me sarcastically if my lunch is really enough since i order only half of what they eat. i sometimes get full before finishing my food

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:05 am 

In the past, eating eggs has been thought to be bad for the heart, but it probably isn't. Great source of protein. The fat isn't a bad thing. We need some fat. With meat so expensive for you, I'd think that eggs are one of your best foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 am 

Anshan, I just read your log again. It seems that you haven't changed your eating habits any. You are still eating crap at every meal, with donuts and cookies for breakfast. Poor quality carbs are what is causing you to remain weak and soft. You may be able to lose weight by eating like this but it will be muscle you lose, not fat. You should rethink your goals and start eating for those goals.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Anshan, I just read your log again. It seems that you haven't changed your eating habits any. You are still eating crap at every meal, with donuts and cookies for breakfast. Poor quality carbs are what is causing you to remain weak and soft. You may be able to lose weight by eating like this but it will be muscle you lose, not fat. You should rethink your goals and start eating for those goals.

Stu

was the first time i ate a donut ($0.43) for breakfast since that was the closest store to our office in terms of walking distance. it was my only choice because i will be late if i'll go to the farther ones. it's always a quick breakfast for me or else i'll be late for work :sad:

so chicken, beef, and pork ain't counted as meat? i'm confused. i thought i was supposed to eat meat for meals? i also ate some shrimp and fish once in a while since meat everyday ain't good for me. did i forget to put the ham and egg that i ate sometimes?

for the cookies, they're the cheapest the canteen has to offer at $0.26. i have to buy the cheapest because i am in a strict budget. i only have $32.60 left and i have to make it last until the end of next week. my average cost of daily living here is $4.35.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:26 pm 

I have no issue with the meat. I have a problem with your breakfast and your lack of veg and fruit. What do eggs cost there? Hard boil a few the night before and take them with you to work for snacks. An apple probably doesn't cost more than that donut. If someone offers you a cookie or donut, politely refuse. Having that for breakfast is worse than going hungry. If you eat enough veg and fruit, you can skip the vitamins. That will save you money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
I have no issue with the meat. I have a problem with your breakfast and your lack of veg and fruit. What do eggs cost there? Hard boil a few the night before and take them with you to work for snacks. An apple probably doesn't cost more than that donut. If someone offers you a cookie or donut, politely refuse. Having that for breakfast is worse than going hungry. If you eat enough veg and fruit, you can skip the vitamins. That will save you money.

oh ok. me too! i have a problem with my breakfast. i have been eating fruits everyday. not enough veggies though because the canteen doesn't serve them much. what vegetables can i eat without cooking? i am barf bad at cooking so i just want to eat them fresh. the only vegetable i know that can be eaten fresh is the carrot.

also, should i just not eat rather than eating donuts or cookies or wrong foods for a meal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:30 pm 

uvhst3p wrote:
what vegetables can i eat without cooking? i am barf bad at cooking so i just want to eat them fresh. the only vegetable i know that can be eaten fresh is the carrot.

also, should i just not eat rather than eating donuts or cookies or wrong foods for a meal?

Salad vegetables can be eaten raw. such as, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, peppers, celery, etc. Many others that are normally cooked can also be eaten raw. Actually almost any vegetable can be eaten raw as long as they are not too tough. Take a look at what is available locally as I'm sure your vegetable market looks different than mine.

Go here for some ideas: http://www.whfoods.com/
http://www.philippines.hvu.nl/vegetables1.htm

Eating cookies or donuts are fine if you are actually starving but they spike your blood sugar and cause cravings later. You can actually go without eating until lunch and be less hungry than if you have a sugar snack for breakfast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next