ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Comments for my journal that can be found here: http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5089

Trying to get in better shape and feel better in general. I broke the outer metatarsal bone in my left foot two years ago, meaning I couldn't run the first summer beacuse of the break. The second summer I tried, but got a horrible muscle inflammation in the foot because of an instability. An x-ray showed that the bone wasn't 100% healed yet, and this caused the foot to be unstable. So, two summers of running went in the trash. I don't do any running in the winter since it's cold and dark here during that time of year.

But now my foot is better, and it's getting better faster when I can run.

I've also bought a workout DVD, it's 20 minutes each of lower body, upper body and abs. I've done the whole hour three times with 2,2 lb weights. which didn't seem heavy enough. I've done it once (this monday) with 6,6 lbs wich I'm now suffering the consequences of :green: *ouch*

Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome :)

Thanks!

Last edited by Helena115 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:41 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Helena, congrats on starting a log. Well done.

Are you working at a gym or at home? From the looks of your routine it looks like at home. Do you have any heavier dumbbells? You need to increase the weight and you need to add some rowing exercises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:36 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm working out at home. I'm gonna write down all the upper body exercises I do from the DVD, there might be something that's a decent replacement for rowing excercises. I just don't know the proper terminology for the excercises.

Really increasing the weight?! Do you want me to kill myself? :green: My shoulders are killing me today after using the new 6.6 lb (3 kilos) dumbells on monday! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:09 am 

3 Kg is an improvement. I am coaching a female coworker who wants to get stronger. She recently swiched from the air force to the army and realized that her training in insufficient. I have her doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, pull downs and bent barbell rows, all 3 sets of 5. It's only been a couple of weeks but she's already using weights way beyond where she ever thought she would use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 am 

Helena115 wrote:
Really increasing the weight?! Do you want me to kill myself? :green: My shoulders are killing me today after using the new 6.6 lb (3 kilos) dumbells on monday! :lol:

Don't worry! You won't kill yourself. The soreness will go away quickly. Just increase the weight on a regular basis, every workout or every other workout. Maybe do the weight 3 times a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:53 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Helena, just read your recent question in your journal. Looking at the sep 28 listing, I'm assuming that's your routine. You could easily break it up into 5 or 6 days/week, but at this point, could I ask why your doing 1 min per each exercise? I suppose as far as a conditioning effect, it might have it's benefits, but what are your goals, and why did you select this protocol? That would affect the responses you recieve. I'm really "out of the box" when it comea to going against conventional wisdom (you can't train every day, etc. - hogwash, depends on the intensities). Some insight on your goals would be appreciated. On the surface, it seems a bit off the wall.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:10 pm 

Except for bodybuilders I think most people are better served by a 3 day/week whole body or a 4 day. upper/lower split. I don't think there is any need to go to a body part split. Use the other 2 days to work on other fitness components and for active recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:06 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the comments.

Tim - I'm doing them for a minute because it's a workout video and that's how it's structured. My goals are pretty much to stay active, get a little stronger and healthier. I'm 5'9'' and 150lbs (34yo), not overweight but would like less flab around my waist and more toned arms and legs. The routine is my best option to stay in some sort of shape during the winter as I don't walk home from work or do HIIT outdoors now (it's too cold and dark here).
I'm pretty pleased with the workout itself, it leaves me with shaky legs and arms, and my pulse and breathing is up during most of the workout (not so much during the core-part).

Stu - I haven't heard the term active recovery before, what is that? I'm interested!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:34 pm 

Helena-OK, I see what you are striving for. I think that w/4 KG, doing a minute each is going to be more metabolically/ endurance challenging than the type of weight training you might choose for actual STRENGTH training. In that case, 3-6 days/week would probably be OK, but I don't like the idea of grouping similar bodyparts all into one workout, with those goals. If I were you, using the same protocol, 1 minute each< I'd go to each group, and pick 3 for 4 from your day 1, 3 or 4 from your day 2, and a couple from day 3 and mix them into one workout, rotatingbetween the core/lower/upper setup you seem to have. Ex; U/L/C/U/L/C etc. Pick ones you haven't already selected and do a similar thing for your new days 2and 3, so that you have 3 totally different full body workouts. I think that mixing all three areas will give you more of a metabolic boost, and in turn, help with "firming" (for lack of a better word) issues than the setup you mentioned.However, all that said, I still think you'd be better off doing complexes or quick paced circuits. They have a HIIT effect, even though you are using weights. Youtube.com has plenty of examples listed under "Dumbell Complexes". Javorek's are excellent, and if you did his DB1 complex (or variations, see the Grapplers Gym variation on youtube)) 3-4 X week, I think you'd have better results Also see our sticky on DB and KB complexes for fatloss and conditioning. Just my .02
Good training
Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm 

Helena115 wrote:
Stu - I haven't heard the term active recovery before, what is that? I'm interested!

Helena, active recovery is doing a low intensity activity after a high intensity workout in order to enhance your recovery from the high intensity workout. This could be during the cool down phase or in the days following the workout. Generally you use lighter weights and stop well short of failure. The idea is not to add fatique but keep the muscles working. Doing an activity you enjoy is the best workout.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _n13667732
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tips ... covery.htm

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow, lots of helpful advice there! Thanks guys! I'm off to check out stickies, links and YouTube stuff now :smile:

I really appreciate you taking your time and writing extensive replies, it's nice with a forum where people are serious about the topic. Thanks again.