ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:57 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Roid rage???

i'm kidding i'm kidding!!!! Don't kill me!

Seriously though, I know exactly how you feel. It's more common than you think. When I stayed with my parents I actually hid my protein intake, particularly egg consumption. When you get a chance, give this article a read, you'll love it. You may take the criticism in a different light afterwards. Bottom line is - When people start putting you down, it's a GOOD sign. Pain in the a$$, yeah, but, good sign that you're doing something right.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... s_sabotage

Anyway, hang in there.

As an aside - a trainer friend of mine was telling me that a recent client wanting to lose fat has put on 14lbs since she started training with him. No doubt, this guys is a good trainer. Obviously, she's stuffing her face full of crap. The best part is, this woman is a NUTRITIONIST.

On the cardio - I agree complexes are the business. Failing that, then intervals of some kind. But, here's an interesting thing. Precision Nutrition often do informal studies with their forum members. They lay out some guidelines and ask for volunteers (they always get loads). Berardi and ACosgrove got together and created a diet and strength training program that 3 groups went on. On top of the strength training, each group done a different form of cardio. One done HIIT, the other done TRX body weight circuit things (as close to complexes as the study went), and the other group done steady state cardio.

The difference in progress between the 3 groups? No significant difference. Very surprising, really. To me, that just tells me that strength training and nutrition is the most important aspect of a fatloss program, which guys like cosgrove have preached for years anyway. Whatever you do on top of that should really come down to preference. For example, the steady state cardio group had a much higher drop off rate than the other 2 groups, i.e basically everyone hates steady state cardio. So, just do what ever you think you'll enjoy most, or maybe better put - do what ever you think you'll hate the least.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am 

You know, instead of showing her Dave f-ing Tate f-ing dropping f-bombs all over the place, it might be gentler to try someone else, like Tony Robbins. His line about how "success leaves clues" might be more persuasive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:21 am 

KPj wrote:
Roid rage???

Spike rage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 pm 

First things first. Thanks guys, your support and kind words mean more than I think you could understand.

pdellorto wrote:
KPj wrote:
Roid rage???

Spike rage!

ha ha, That is one reason I don't think I could use, I have a wicked temper, can't imagine AAS would help.

But Spike is awesome. Good god. Just DRINK A LOT OF WATER!

pdellorto wrote:
You know, instead of showing her Dave f-ing Tate f-ing dropping f-bombs all over the place, it might be gentler

You should hear me when I'm angry, Tate has nothing on me. She is used to it.

I actually spoke with her again about it. We are in a much better place. But now I'm doing research for two, she wants to read evey thing I do if I change the way I do things.

KPj wrote:
a whole bunch of good stuff

Thanks man. Shugurt though? Nah I'm kidding.

I even used "toxic people" when I talked to my wife about it.

Very interesting about the little difference between the cardio's. I figure now that I started I'll see how this goes for a couple or weeks, and then use complexes next time my gut starts hanging again. Just to see what works better for me.

TimD wrote:
As to mixing complexes having an effect on your main lifting, keep the weight lmoderate. It won't. Trust me, I've been mixing for several years now. They can be used as a finisher for a main workout, or in separate sessions as HIIT cardio
Tim

Well that does it. If it doesn't hurt your recovery or overlap I guess I need to do more research, because I should be able to handle similar work loads, I mean I am like 1/4 your age. I'm kidding, sort of. :lol: (Well, reading the tread again would be a good start.)

Thanks though. I have based a lot of the way I approach my training off a few things I've read you said. I have a lot of respect for your opinion, and thanks a lot for speaking in here, means a lot

JungleDoc wrote:
Wow. Didn't think I'd trigger something like that. Sorry for hitting you in a sore place, but I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to share all of that. It sucks when you do your best to do the right thing, and other people misunderstand. You are right that often their criticism is just a reflection of their own fears, guilt or jealousy.

Please don't be sorry. I feel SO much better now. Between you guys having such kind words, and the ability to vent so I could speak honestly and freely to my wife, I'm actually pretty happy you asked. I needed to let it out.

Thanks.

pdellorto wrote:
it eats at you when you feel silent criticism of what you're doing when you need all the support you can get to get through.

So, so so true. All that does is drag you down too. Adds stress and stress makes you weak and eats your muscles and adds fat.

Makes me feel better that you guys get this too though, glad I'm not the only sap getting nailed by life.

jps wrote:
She was a tad concerned about the amount of weight I was lifting at first, but after talking to her trainer, she is behind me 100% and agrees with everything I have learned here.

That is bad ass. My mom tweeked about 405 & totally went "you're not doing testosterone are you" watching the video of 505.

But she is the woman she has always been, I can't change that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:14 pm 

Quote:
GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I'm going to start eating big again soon. I can't stand hitting a PR and then not being able to match it.

I'm right there with you. I came home after failing to match 5 x 165 today and thought "Maybe this fat loss diet is to blame, I should start eating a lot more again."

It's probably not that, but man, I felt immediately like the diet must be the problem. I'm strong enough for that 5th rep, dammit, what the hell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 am 

pdellorto wrote:
Quote:
GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I'm going to start eating big again soon. I can't stand hitting a PR and then not being able to match it.

I'm right there with you. I came home after failing to match 5 x 165 today and thought "Maybe this fat loss diet is to blame, I should start eating a lot more again."

It's probably not that, but man, I felt immediately like the diet must be the problem. I'm strong enough for that 5th rep, dammit, what the hell?

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. So frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:13 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I see I'm not the only one that missed a week due to work load....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:18 pm 

jps wrote:
I see I'm not the only one that missed a week due to work load....

Nope. I didn't go last night because I think I'm getting sick too. Then my stupid ass went in today and lifted until my head spun... oh well.

What annoys me is if my staff put as much effort in their career as they do their facebook page I wouldn't have been at work until 11 on Tuesday.

But like I said, I leaned out a touch so it wasn't a total waste.

Hey good to here Bank Girl didn't run away for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Eric, just read your log and think I may have misread. You said your arms are weak? Doing bodyweight chins with + 35? At your weight? You're crazy, not weak. I can do chins and dips till the cows come home, but that's because I've been doing them for over 40 years now, and have adapted. Most of you "bigger" boys can barely do bodyweight for a couple of reps. Good job.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm 

TimD wrote:
Eric, just read your log and think I may have misread. You said your arms are weak? Doing bodyweight chins with + 35? At your weight? You're crazy, not weak. I can do chins and dips till the cows come home, but that's because I've been doing them for over 40 years now, and have adapted. Most of you "bigger" boys can barely do bodyweight for a couple of reps. Good job.
Tim

Nah, rack chins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-b4qOOWsE

I got it from the DC guys, and this kid I talk to online with the widest traps ever.

ha ha, at 230lbs I don't think I could do 3 real body weight chins at all.

And I feel weak because my numbers aren't going up as fast as before. Less cals, less sleep, more stress, and I'm a bit less new... Honestly my recomp is going really well. (Knock on wood.) My scale weight is the same, I'm not getting that much weaker, and I am slowly dropping BF. Even with the bloat from dairy I'm starting to see ab.

Thanks for reading Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:59 pm 

I like your motivation post on your log. I can't say we share the same motivation exactly (I am nowhere near your strength), but in truth I feel the same way you do. I know plenty of people around my age, in their mid 20's, who do nothing except sit on their @$$es all day and just watch tv, play video games, smoke pot...etc. I just don't wanna be like them...

But I think the best motivation? Watch the evening news, and when they do a report on obesity, you know how they always have people with their heads not being shown? I never wanna be one of them. Hahaha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 pm 

Rucifer wrote:
I like your motivation post on your log.

Thanks man! I needed to vent, and I couldn't think of a better place. If you guys like em, I got more in me. Seeing as class started I'll need something productive to do while I'm procrastinating.

Quote:
(I am nowhere near your strength)

It's not about who lifts more as much as it's about putting more weight on the bar and pushing that $h1t around.

Everyone starts somewhere, and everyone is different. Just add more weight than last week to the bar and keep grinding out reps. I will always respect hard work, and everyone else should too.

Quote:
but in truth I feel the same way you do. I know plenty of people around my age, in their mid 20's, who do nothing except sit on their @$$es all day and just watch tv, play video games, smoke pot...etc. I just don't wanna be like them...

Yup. I wouldn't be able to stand not being part of the upper percentile if I didn't at least try. I don't' mind failing, I do mind not trying.

Thanks again man. I guess I will toss another one up...

Dude it is 10pm and I'm still at work. Thanks IRS for moving up that deadline, you're the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:17 pm 

Do better next time..

You should etched that last rep at 95# (only 683) on the Bar to equal your Bar amount.. :wink:

Seriously, Looking good on the Squats. I can't even imagine squatting that much.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 am 

wilburburns wrote:

Seriously, Looking good on the Squats. I can't even imagine squatting that much.

Cliff

Thanks man. It really doesn't seem like much until you hit the hole. Then it feels like an awful lot.

I got a long way to go though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:51 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Good to have you back....was wondering what was going on. Can't imagine swine flu.....jesus. Hope you get to feeling better.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next