ExRx.net
http://exrx.net/forum/

Nunn's Log
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6335
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Nunn's Log

Feel free to give comments or constructive criticism.

Author:  nygmen [ Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

ahhh, You are pretty flippin strong.

Good Work



Just don't let KPj see you deadlifting with straps or a hitch... :wink:

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
Just don't let KPj see you deadlifting with straps or a hitch.


Haha, I do compete in strongman so you'll probably see both lol.

Author:  nygmen [ Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jason Nunn wrote:
Quote:
Just don't let KPj see you deadlifting with straps or a hitch.


Haha, I do compete in strongman so you'll probably see both lol.


That is about the only place my 505 deadlift would count is strongman.

Author:  pdellorto [ Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:49 am ]
Post subject: 

You requested depth comments - it did look like the first three were a bit high, but then you settled in and got deeper.

Feels weird to say that to someone squatting more than twice what I do but there you have it.

By the way it's cool to have a strongman's log going here. My only connection is flipping tires and the occasional sandbag squats, but it all looks so much fun.

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

pdellorto wrote:
You requested depth comments - it did look like the first three were a bit high, but then you settled in and got deeper.

Feels weird to say that to someone squatting more than twice what I do but there you have it.

By the way it's cool to have a strongman's log going here. My only connection is flipping tires and the occasional sandbag squats, but it all looks so much fun.


Thanks Peter. I thought the same thing. It is worth noting though that the camera is at a low angle. It may make them look higher?

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

pdellorto wrote:
By the way it's cool to have a strongman's log going here. My only connection is flipping tires and the occasional sandbag squats, but it all looks so much fun.


Haha, thats funny because I've always wanted to try MMA!

Author:  hoosegow [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Though better than 99% of the people who squat, I'd have to agree with Pete that I think the squats are a touch high. I don't think a single would be considered legal.

That being said, damn nice work, though.

Author:  pdellorto [ Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Jason Nunn wrote:
Thanks Peter. I thought the same thing. It is worth noting though that the camera is at a low angle. It may make them look higher?


It might, but they definitely get deeper the further into the set.


Jason Nunn wrote:
Haha, thats funny because I've always wanted to try MMA!


If I was good at any other sport, I'd have done that instead. But I have to admit training full contact has always been really fun for me. It make it all come together, and you know you're doing it right because no one will let you do that stuff full-power on them just to make you feel good about yourself.

Still, I tell kids at the gym who ask me about MMA that they should stick to football/baseball/basketball...a poorly paid pro football player gets a lot more than most well-paid MMA fighters. :)

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

pdellorto wrote:
Still, I tell kids at the gym who ask me about MMA that they should stick to football/baseball/basketball...a poorly paid pro football player gets a lot more than most well-paid MMA fighters. :)


Yeah had my run at football. Too bad college was the end of the road for me. And as far as pay goes, a poorly paid MMA fighter still gets more than most well - paid strongmen :frown:

If I were in it for money, I wouldn't have choosen strongman.

Author:  pdellorto [ Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

But in strongman, you never get into a face-punching contest. ;)


By the way, what kind of program are you doing? From the rep and weights, it looks like 5/3/1. Is it that or something else?

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sort of. I've modified it to include conditioning and olympic lifts

Author:  pdellorto [ Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jason Nunn wrote:
Sort of. I've modified it to include conditioning and olympic lifts


Fair enough. I've done it as the method for the ME day at my gym, and I do a once-a-week trap bar deadlift with it. As a complete system, it's clearly good stuff, but just the 5/3/1 percentages and progression works on its own.

I have a friend doing a starter routine, as soon as he stalls I'll have him switching over to 5/3/1. :)

Author:  Jason Nunn [ Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah 531 is pretty much what I've always done anyways (before it was "531"). It's the same system we used when I was coaching. We just didn't call it that.lol. It's nice to have a simple system to just plug numbers in. It's pretty idiot proof.

Author:  Jungledoc [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jason Nunn wrote:
Yeah 531 is pretty much what I've always done anyways (before it was "531"). It's the same system we used when I was coaching. We just didn't call it that.lol. It's nice to have a simple system to just plug numbers in. It's pretty idiot proof.
Well, not completely idiot proof. Just look at some of the discussion threads on other forums or on EliteFTS and see how the idiots can complicate it. People who are determined to do dumb things in their training can do dumb things under the name of any "system" they want!

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/