ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Cliff's Log Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm 

Here we go... This should be interesting.

To Recap what has been posted elsewhere, one of my main goals is to lose Fat and decrease my BF%. Additionally, in this quest, I have realized how weak I am and how inbalanced my previous workouts were.

I have begun SS to help build a solid base for the future. I will continue to eat light to try and help lose the last bit of Body Fat. Once I drop the Fat, I intend to eat at a maintenance level or just above to help build strength and later on Size/Mass.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:54 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Good luck with SS mate! I'll keep an eye on your Journal for my path down the same track in December!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:57 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

One thing I'd suggest is to do the DLs in a power rack. Set the bars at the level of a pair of 20kg/45# plates and lift from that height. That way you get the proper ROM you'll get from a 60kg/135#, and you won't need to go deeper.

The other option is to put mats, boxes, or plates under the smaller weights. Just get the height to the "proper" height and you won't have issues of needing extra flexibility for the lower-weight reps.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:03 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Good call Pete, I was just about to say the same thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:28 pm 

Thanks for the ideas regarding the DL's in a Power Rack. I will likely give that a try until I get to the 135# mark. Hopefully that won't take to long.

Sadly, my Gym only has 1 power Rack, and I hate to camp out in it for nearly my whole workout.

Also, I need some advice for my 3rd workout each week (Thursdays). My Gym days are as follows. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
For the next 2-4 weeks (Depends on Rainout games), I have a softball game on Thursdays. The Problem is that some nights, I will not be able to play the game and make it to the gym. With my previous split routine, this was not a problem, because I would just postpone Thursday's workout until Saturday Morning and I would not affect the Sunday workout. SS has a requirement of at least a single rest day in between workouts. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could make up the missed workout?

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:31 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Can you gym Friday? If so go then! you still get 4 rest days in the week, but it may affect your totals for Sunday. That said lifitng slightly lower weights then you expected to on Sunday is better than missing out a whole session!

Just my opinion!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:40 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

As to starting weights. Ya did good. That's the way it's supposed to be, and you build up GRADUALLY each session. It's designed to be linear.
As to the DL, I'd recommend RDL's over DL for the height factor. Get the bar down at least to mid shin, with shins vertical. Almost the same effect, and a must for OL types.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:55 pm 

jeffrerr wrote:
Can you gym Friday? If so go then! you still get 4 rest days in the week, but it may affect your totals for Sunday. That said lifitng slightly lower weights then you expected to on Sunday is better than missing out a whole session!

Just my opinion!

John

I might be able to work in a couple of Friday's, but not likely. It goes along with the Wife/Kids thing. Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday all work well with all of our schedules. :wink: It will only be a couple of weeks though, and I will figure something out.

Thanks,
Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm 

TimD wrote:
As to starting weights. Ya did good. That's the way it's supposed to be, and you build up GRADUALLY each session. It's designed to be linear.
As to the DL, I'd recommend RDL's over DL for the height factor. Get the bar down at least to mid shin, with shins vertical. Almost the same effect, and a must for OL types.
Tim

Thanks Tim,

I'll take a look at the RDL's and consider them.

What is an OL type??? :neu:

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:35 pm 

Olympic Weightlifting. here is the key to RDL's. Kearn correct form and get depth with these.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/RL.htm
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 am 

WOW... My inflexibility is really a problem with pulling from the ground. With Proper Form, I am really struggleing to get the weight off the floor.

As mentioned in my log, Lower Back rounding is a big issue. Does anyone have any advice on how to correct this?

Also, Are there any recommended stretches for hams. I am checking here currently..
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighW ... hor1942303

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:16 am 

The link I gave you to the RDL is one of the primarly "learning" or dynamic stretching moves we teach beginners in OL. Start light, concentrating on form and depth, no back rounding, scapula back, and going for depth. You don't start on the ground for a reason with these. The other learning/flexability moves we teach beginners are the overhead and front squat. Just practicing these 3 every day, or session with bar only will get you form/flexibilty and depth.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:36 am 

Thanks again Tim...

I think I understand better now. Initially, I didn't realize the RDL could be started from the UP position. I assumed the completed deadlift position was on the ground. Combined that most of the Videos I previously found to show a RDL started with the Bar and weights on the ground.

I did just find this video though, which helps me some more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0
Especially combined with your link...

Since I don't have a Bar or any weights at home, and there is no way I could make it to the Gym every day, I will find an old broomstick to use and practice the motions as well as stretch. Does that make sense?

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:57 am 

In short to your question of "does that make sense?", Yes. See if you can get your hands on a wrecking bar or something that you can improvise with a little weight to it as well.
Gallon milk jugs filled with water, etc.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:58 pm 

You mentioned the 3x5 being awkward because you felt you had more in you.

This will go away when you find your true working weight. As you move up in weight and start to find the real limits of your strength (based on your statement you have a ways to go it seems) you will no longer feel like you could do more… ha ha

Soon it won't be hard to stop anymore, promise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next