ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

This is my 5/3/1 Cycle 5 and 6 program.

Training 1RM History is here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8047&start=34

Doing "Boring but big" mostly to get back to basics, adding just curls and Bulgarians, which are apparently crucial to my squat and deadlift gains. Also intrasetting planks every day, these are harmless and fun, and I want to see if I can make progress.

If numbers improve with this selection, will repeat it in Cycle 6, as continuation of getting back to basics and sticking to what I know works for me.

Day 1:
Press (5/3/1)

Weighted Chins, neutral grip, 20 reps:

Intraset: Press (Volume) / Planks

Day 2:
Deadlift (5/3/1)

Intraset: Bulgarians / Curls / Planks

Day 3:
Bench (5/3/1)

Rows (5/3/1)

Intraset: Bench (Volume) / Planks

Day 4:
Squat (5/3/1)

Intraset: Bulgarians / Planks

Last edited by KenDowns on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:41 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
Also intrasetting planks every day, these are harmless and fun

ok, settle down

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:17 am 

KenDowns wrote:
Also intrasetting planks every day, these are harmless and fun...

You must be amazingly easy to entertain. :grin:

If you think planks are fun, you obviously have never done one. After running, this is the most boring exercise known to humankind.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
Also intrasetting planks every day, these are harmless and fun...

You must be amazingly easy to entertain. :grin:

If you think planks are fun, you obviously have never done one. After running, this is the most boring exercise known to humankind.

Doc, I read your journal so I was betting with myself whether you'd weigh in with this opinion. :grin:

I have a weight vest with 4 rows of slots, that lets me get 32# close to my waist. So I do that. This keeps the reps shorter, and intra-setting them with some other exercise significantly relieves the boredom, as you're not sitting around resting, waiting to sit around stiff as a plank, waiting for it to be over so you can sit around resting...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:25 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Feel like I did my first real workout since thanskgiving. The arm still feels weird, was I maybe a little more sore than usual for a little longer? If I have to think about it that hard then I'm not going to think about it at all.

Glad to be actually lifting again. Looking forward to deads and Bulgarians tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:41 am 

I didn't say they aren't an important exercise--just a boring one! Yeah, add weight and cut the time to make it tolerable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:42 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I hate planks too. I figure that pushups are less boring but if I concentrate on keeping good form, that's as good as a plank.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:18 pm 

I like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ken, have you tried any impingement tests on your shoulder to see if that is what's happening?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Proper Knob wrote:
Ken, have you tried any impingement tests on your shoulder to see if that is what's happening?

Not yet. Now that I know my bench has to be suspended, I'm just starting to learn what this stuff is. never had to worry about it before. Step 1 is going to be "Just do deads and squats and hope it goes away" which is the plan for the next couple of days until I get the time to look more into this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

KenDowns wrote:
Step 1 is going to be "Just do deads and squats and hope it goes away" which is the plan for the next couple of days until I get the time to look more into this stuff.

Three simple tests for you -

1. Hold the arm that gives you pain out in front of you so it's parallel with the floor with your thumb pointing up, not straight out in front of you but about where 11 would be on a clock face (make sense?). Next, turn your thumb down to the floor and then slowly raise your hand up. Any pain?

2. Put the same arm behind your back so that the back of your hand is in contact with your lumbar spine area. Then try and bring your hand away from your back. Any pain?

3. Take the painful arm and reach across and grab your other shoulder and glasp it tight. Then, imagine there is a piece of string attached at your elbow and someone is pulling it towards the ceiling whilst you still hold onto the opposite shoulder. Can you break past parallel with the foor before you get any discomfort?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Proper Knob wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
Step 1 is going to be "Just do deads and squats and hope it goes away" which is the plan for the next couple of days until I get the time to look more into this stuff.

Three simple tests for you -

1. Hold the arm that gives you pain out in front of you so it's parallel with the floor with your thumb pointing up, not straight out in front of you but about where 11 would be on a clock face (make sense?). Next, turn your thumb down to the floor and then slowly raise your hand up. Any pain?

None at any stage, not while setting up or executing.

Proper Knob wrote:
2. Put the same arm behind your back so that the back of your hand is in contact with your lumbar spine area. Then try and bring your hand away from your back. Any pain?

Mild pain getting into position, worsens a bit when I move the hand away from my back. All in a vague area at front-top of shoulder, centered on the tip of the scapula, which still has that bruised feel.

Proper Knob wrote:
3. Take the painful arm and reach across and grab your other shoulder and glasp it tight. Then, imagine there is a piece of string attached at your elbow and someone is pulling it towards the ceiling whilst you still hold onto the opposite shoulder. Can you break past parallel with the foor before you get any discomfort?

Slight discomfort getting into position, none once I am clasping opposite shoulder. No pain while raising arm.

First method: rotated arm until it hit my forehead, felt stretch in the tricep near top, but I suppose that would be normal.

First method: raised arm upward without rotating toward forehead. No pain, but stretch in Lat which again I suppose would be normal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:41 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number 2 is a subscapularis test. If your not getting any pain on the others than that's a good thing. My advice would be to stretch the life out of your pecs and pec minor for the next week or two. Band or broom stick dislocates, band pec stretches, of course if any of them causes you pain stop.

I get aches and pains all the time, sometimes a prolonged period of rest is all that's required.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

@Knob, just to re-iterate, the pain is very mild, not even worth an aspirin, but persistent.

With that being said, the shoulder dislocations produce immediate relief, I've been doing sets of 10 several times a day. But the effect doesn't last more than a few minutes.

Will keep going and let you know. I'm suspending Press and Bench indefinitely, but continuing with chins and rows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
With that being said, the shoulder dislocations produce immediate relief, I've been doing sets of 10 several times a day. But the effect doesn't last more than a few minutes.

if you can do those you are way ahead of me in terms of mobility, pain free or not

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next