ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 pm 

so why do you prefer rinkball over icehockey? maybe you could make money with icehockey :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
so why do you prefer rinkball over icehockey? maybe you could make money with icehockey :grin:

I don't. It's just that my school formed a team to the towns rinkball league, and I wanted to go along.
I'm actually employed right now as a hockey goalie coach. I don't have time nor the commitment to go to professional hockey.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm trying out a new routine from january, lasting somewhere around 21 weeks. If succefull, I'll repeat the cycle.
This program is an assigment from school. I was meant to do a program/macrocycle for powerlifting. It's based on good old block periodization. First there's an accumulation phase, then the transmutation, then the realization phase. Basically first it's higher volume, lower intensity, then on the last weeks its low volume and balls to walls intensity.

Workout A:

Front Squat
Deadlift variation
Unilateral work

Workout B:

Bench Press
Rowing variation
Finisher exercise

Workout C:

Deadlift
Squat variation
Finisher Exercise

Workout D:

Pull-up
Overhead Press
Core exercise
Shoulder/upper back work

Simple, but it should work. I'll add some things along the way, like intervals on the first weeks, and plyometrics on the transmutation phase. Those Finisher exercises are supposed to be hardass bouts of metabolic overloading. Like leg press drop sets, cluster sets, timed sets, supersets, and similar. Big time under tension, total motor unit recruiment, and stuff like that. Just some brutal fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 am 

i'd like to hear why you are doing one rep of weighted pull ups. do you think that increases the strength more than maybe 5x bw or so (i don't know how much you can do with your bw)? no offense

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
i'd like to hear why you are doing one rep of weighted pull ups. do you think that increases the strength more than maybe 5x bw or so (i don't know how much you can do with your bw)? no offense

None taken.
I experiment with these. Heavy singles are always heavy singles. 1RM work is quite common for max strength training.
I've done 3-6 rep pull-ups for a long time now, I figured I'd need some change on that. I've been gaining weigth so my pull-ups have gone down a bit, so the BW reps aren't too high to start with. I still want to see how 1RM's once a week and higher volume on another workout will affect my pull-ups.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 pm 

it's good to hear that other people are also treating pull ups like a main lift and doing it with low reps. most of the people are doing more reps as an accessory exercise. i also like low reps at pull ups.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 am 

respect for your deadlift! that's more than 2x bw or not? why is your deadlift so much higher than your squat? maybe cause of front squatting? what do you think you could back squat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:44 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
respect for your deadlift! that's more than 2x bw or not? why is your deadlift so much higher than your squat? maybe cause of front squatting? what do you think you could back squat?

Thanks mate,
Yeah. It's a bit over twice my BW. I weigth 75kg or thereabouts.
I haven't 1RM'd on back squat in ages, but I quess I could lift somewhere around 140-150kg. 140kg was the previous 1RM, from last summer I believe. I have no idea why my DL is way higher than squats. Maybe because I love to deadlift or have stronger posterior chain or better form. Or then I have found better ways to train the deadlift than the squats. (I've been doing lots of increased ROM work recently for example).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:30 am 

if you would drop to 73,x kg you would be a good competitor at powerlifting events in my state.

about front squats and back squats: do you think the strength is highly correlated? most people's numbers are way lower at front than at back squats. do you think, if you would work your front squat up to 140kg that your back squat would be much bigger than your last test of 140kg?

edit: you could still start as a junior and would win the competitions in my state.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
about front squats and back squats: do you think the strength is highly correlated? most people's numbers are way lower at front than at back squats. do you think, if you would work your front squat up to 140kg that your back squat would be much bigger than your last test of 140kg?
Sure it correlates. It's still the same movement. The only thing different is the point of balance and center of mass. On front squat, the weight is on the anterior side, on back squat, it's on the posterior side. And that makes a minor difference. The posterior hip and knee extensors work harder on the back squat, as front squats rely more on quads and spinal extensors. Or this is atleast my idea of the system. I think front squats work more on the core as whole, because the force that pulls your body to flexion is more in front. I think if I'd do back squats with good form, then yes, the front squats would have caused some progress (and the DL's too). It would be weird that you could front squat a ton but not back squat it. I'm not even sure if my front squat can get stronger than my back squat, due to mechanics. Haven't looked into it that hard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Dub wrote:
It's awesome how much I've progressed on the Deadlift. 9 months ago 150kg was my 1RM! Now it's 4x3 and thereabouts. It's nothing anymore! I love powerlifting.

Deadlifting is da bomb.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The next four weeks will be interesting. It's the second last cycle of my periodization plan, it will include some power and max strength work. I will have total of six workouts per week, for one four week cycle. The plan will look something like this:

Day 1:

Workout A
Drop Jumps
Dynamic Effort Deadlift
Push Press

Workout B
Maximal Effort Squat
Unilateral Hip exercise
Core work

Day 2:

Workout C
ME Push
ME Pull
RE Pull
RE Push

Day 3:

Workout D
Drop Jumps
DE Squat
DE Pull-up

Workout E
ME Deadlift
RE Unilateral squat exercise
Core work

Day 4:

Workout F
ME Pull
ME Push
RE Pull
RE Push

I'll add some more advanced recovery work into this cycle, like contrast water therapy. Eating more of course, and I'll up my creatine dose to 10g a day. We'll see how this goes. It either works or doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

you're a god damn squatting machine these days dibby. Nice work.

I need to get a bit smarter with my programming I think. Progress has hit a big ole stall and just waking up to the same top weight again and again is getting me nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:

I need to get a bit smarter with my programming I think. Progress has hit a big ole stall and just waking up to the same top weight again and again is getting me nowhere

14 days of insanity still left. We'll see how my squat is after that.
Didn't you just hit a new PR?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 pm 

Dub wrote:
robertscott wrote:

14 days of insanity still left. We'll see how my squat is after that.
Didn't you just hit a new PR?

technically yes, the 115k was a PR, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

I hit 105k for 3 a couple of weeks ago, but haven't been able to do it since. I got 1 when i tried on Friday, and 2 when I tried again today.

Something's not right with that, so I'm reevaluating. Going to do more of a strength focus thing, something like multiple sets per workout of 2 or 3 at 90%. I'll iron out the details when I put it into action. Will keep one leg day for high volume squatting because I still want to get some growth in the ole quadzillas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next