ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sam's Journal Comments.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 am 
n00b
n00b

Please feel free to provide any advice and feedback on my workouts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm 

Sam, are following a plan in your workouts?

If you wanted to outline here what the plan is, some of us would be happy to make suggestions for improvements, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:50 am 

From your first post: "Am 170 at the moment and wish to go to at least 250 lb and loose my body fat as well."

At 5'8" this is unrealistic.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 am 
n00b
n00b

Thank you so much for your input, Jungledoc and Stuward. i truly appreciate it.

Here is what i have roughly planned. i had a sprain on my ankle and my foot was swollen. it has gotten Much better now but there is still a slight swelling and i am going to wait for some time before i start squtting again
my arms and upper body are pitiful so for another week or two want to give it some solid focus. here is what i had in mind. i want to workout 7 days a week, i have a huge body fat issue, (skinny fat)
and am an endomorph. I need to do some cardios on a daily basis to keep my fat levels down.

here is what i plan
1. pull ups on a daily basis to increase my ability to do them
2. Chest Shoulders and Biceps MWF, Triceps and Back TTS.
tommorow am going to add some more details.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 am 

I have several thoughts. First, a 6 day a week routine is too much for most people. 3 or 4 days a week would be better for you. Remember, muscles don't grow while you are working out, but during recovery.

In addition, look at your split; most lifts that involve chest also involve triceps, and lifts that involve the back also involve biceps. So, you're not really splitting but working many of the same muscles every day. And shoulders overlap all over the place. If you do something like an upper-lower split, or a push-pull split than you don't have to worry as much about that. But if you lift only 3 or 4 days a week, than even if you work the same muscles in subsequent workouts, you still get about 48 hours of rest between. That's plenty for most people.

When I read the workouts you report in your log, I get the feeling that you just go to the gym and look around for what you will do that day. You need a plan. There are many that you can follow. There is not much advantage in trying to make up your own. The needs of beginners are all similar, regardless of your ultimate goals. Things like Starting Strength and StrongLifts are great. If your ankle is still bothering you, you may need to wait on some of the lower body lifts, but don't make the mistake of just training your upper body, even if you think it is especially week. In reality, for most men, their lower body is just as or weaker than the upper body.

There are links to both Starting Strength and StrongLifts in the stickies at the top of the general forum in a thread called "A Small Collection of Routines for Beginners" or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:35 am 
n00b
n00b

Thank you so much, Jungledoc for your comments.
I am going to take your advice. in the past 4 years i have been trying to workout really hard and honestly feel burnt out without any substantial change to my body.
I am going to lift for 4 days, and do cardios only for two days and sunday is going to be a day of rest.

You are totally right on the lack of a plan, when i go to the gym. i think i am not always sure i am going to get the machines that i need but the new gym that i am temporarily going to isnt that crowded.
so here is my routine MT workout, W cardios, TF Workout, Saturday Cardios. Sundays rest.

I agree with your about the lower body part. but I am going to wait till next week to see how my ankle is before i start squatting . then i will go deep with 20 rep squatts

I am going to post a detailed workout routine tommorow and will follow up by posting workout logs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 pm 
n00b
n00b

M Chest : Incline, Decline, Flat both dumbell and barbells.
T Biceps , Shoulder : dumbells and cable machine
W Triceps, Back : barbell
T Cardios
F Chest, Triceps
S Biceps, shoulders
S Cardios.

am going to try to put in 3 to 5 exercise for each muscle group with 8 to 10 reps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What about legs?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 am 

No. You're not hearing what I'm trying to tell you. Go read Starting Strength or StrongLifts or something very similar, and do that. You are talking about advanced body-building work that you don't understand well, and aren't nearly ready for. 3-5 exercises per muscle group, etc. One good compound movement per basic movement is where you need to be at present.

You need more than 1 day of rest per week. Do strength 3 days, cardio 1 or 2, rest at least 2 days. And you need lower body work, even if your ankle limits some lifts. 20-rep squats? Where did you get that. That would kill many lifters who are far more experienced that you. So get SS or SL and follow it carefully. A year from now you'll thank me.

And also you need to start focusing on diet. You won't gain without giving your body the building blocks to do it with.