ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:42 am 
former lurker

I LOVE eating honey. I crave it so much.
I have started my diet 3 days ago. And I want to cut all forms of sugar, chocolates, sweetners ( natural or artificial ) etc.

But I heard that honey is somehow different than regular sugar. So can I eat it on a daily basis ?

Also, what about dark chocolate ( with no sugars ) are they a good choice ? Or should be avoided at all ?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

richvana wrote:
I LOVE eating honey. I crave it so much.
I have started my diet 3 days ago. And I want to cut all forms of sugar, chocolates, sweetners ( natural or artificial ) etc.

But I heard that honey is somehow different than regular sugar. So can I eat it on a daily basis ?

Honey

Honey contains sugar.

As per...

Wikpiedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

A mixture of sugars and other carbohydrates, honey is mainly fructose (about 38%) and glucose (about 32%), with remaining sugars including maltose, sucrose, and other complex carbohydrates. Its glycemic index ranges from 31 to 78, depending on the variety.

The Glycemic Index

Carbohydrates are given a Glycemic Index Mumber. Essentially, the higher the Glycemic Index Number, the greater it triggers Insulin Production.

"Insulin is a Fat Maker..."

As Jay Robb/Nutritionist put it.

Insulin produces a "Global Anabolic Effect". That meaning it increases muscle mass and fat mass at the same time.

Also, elevated Insulin Levels shut down the fat burning process. Thus, high Glycemic Index Food and high Carbohydrates diets can increase body fat while decreasing the fat burning process.

Fructose

It is processed differently than glucose. A diet high in Fructose will increase body fat.

High fructose is usually ingested by individual who consume soft drinks composed of high corn syrup.

High fructose is also consumed by individual who drink a lot of fruit juice; which is unhealthy.

It hard to over consume fructose when consuming apples, pears, or other high fiber fruit.

Banana's have a high Glycemic Index. Consuming too many in a day, isn't good.

Dan Duchane

Duchane was a Bodybuilding and Diet Coach. One of the thing he noted, was small amount of a high Glycemic Index Food aren't a problem. The issue is the amount of carbohydrates consumed during day.

With that said, have some honey isn't a problem as long as you don't have a lot (whatever a lot means). The same is true with other high Glycemic Index Foods.

Quote:
Also, what about dark chocolate ( with no sugars ) are they a good choice ? Or should be avoided at all ?
Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Dark Chocolate

It has some health benefits.

It is fairly low in sugar. However, it still has sugar.

The amount of Dark Chocolate you eat determine how much sugar you are getting.

Read The Labels

Many food contain sugar, especially canned vegetables.

So, read the labels.

Kenny Croxdale