ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've encountered an interesting problem here...
I recently drastically changed my diet to make the carbs almost entirely whole grain, cut out cheese, calorie drinks, and candy. I'm down to 166 lb (at 5'9), down about 4 or 5 from my normal "in shape" weight. My love handles, so to speak, have visibly dissapeared. Whereas before I was rather cut and defined, albeit with a sideways-large midsection, now that has gone down, but I seem to have lost my definition almost everwhere. I'm thinking it might be overtraining, as all of this has happened in a short period of time, but I'm just looking for input for anyone's who had a similar thing happen to them. I HAVE been getting a lot more exercise recently than the rest of the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would guess that the loss of deffinition is just a result of being on the low carb end of things which can lead to glycogen depletion (equaling less size and less definition) every couple of weeks try a re-feeding day in which you pay less attention to your diet and eat some of the things you've missed...you'll probably look hella ripped for the next few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:57 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

You might have reduced your carb intake to the point that your muscle glycogen has been depleted. Muscles that are glycogen depleted have the flat, undefined look that you describe.

Try increasing your carbs slightly, and see if it makes a difference. One or two pieces of low glycemic fruit (apples, pears, peaches, plums and other temperate zone fruits) a day might be a good idea.

P.S. I see that Mog16 beat me to the punch