ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 am 
Hello all,

has anyone tried the Abs diet program marketed by the Mens Health online magazine? I was wondering if its worth its cost..

here is its website:
https://secure.rodalequickpay.com/uof/a ... about.html

Cheers,
Boster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 am 
Novice
Novice

It doesn't sound like it. The name kind of sounds suspect to me too. I wouldn't pay for that. For food, I would do either low carb, or the low glycemic/mediteranean type diet. They work and are healthy. For low carb I like to mix Atkins with Protein Power. Both are cheap paper back books. For the other, there a lots of good sources. I saw a book called 8 minutes in the morning. The workout is basic but effective for a beginner, the eating plan is great though. Really I could even just give you some pointers. You just have to decide which diet you think you can stick with better and which one suits your circumstances.

For workout, it depends on your goals, but some sort of resistence training and some cardio. Something that doesn't involve 100 sets of every ab/hip excersise known to man. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi Boster,

I don't have a very good relationship with my Abs. I mean... I haven't seen them in YEARS, but, I know PLENTY of people who have great looking abs, and plenty who struggle for that 6-pack. I do believe that it's genetic in some regards.

I mean, I always thought it was just a matter of getting your bodyfat low (and I do believe that) but I know some guys who have great low body fat, and work their abs hard, and still don't have that '6-pack' that others seem to get easily enough.

Still ..you'll never know how great your abs might look until you uncover them! So.. you know your focus needs to be dropping your bodyfat percentage. That's what it takes. And sonny's right, finding a diet you can stick to is the most important thing.

BUT... I DID clik on your link to give that 'ab diet' a look, and here's the big red flashing lights::

Eat More to Weigh Less!

Meet the 12 amazing powerfoods your body craves. They strip away fat like magic!

Turn Fat into Muscle!
Build the lean, hard body you've always wanted—in 6 weeks or less!

Look and Feel Younger!
Erase years, even decades, with this exclusive new plan that’s NEVER before been published!

Supercharge Your Sex Life!
Discover the shocking truth about food and sex-and get fitter, stronger, and harder where it counts!

Live Pain-Free!
This scientifically proven way to eat will muscle up your immune system, stop back pain fast, and always keep you at your absolute peak!

These are preposterous claims for any diet!

You cannot ~turn fat into muscle~ might as well set out to turn lead into gold.

supercharge your sex life??

Ok..while it's true that IF you are an obese couch potato, dropping pounds and exercising can revitalize your life. Losing 60lbs can have a big impact on lowering pain, making you feel younger, and re-igniting your wife's interest. But again, ANY dedicated diet and exercise program will do this! And if you are 60lbs overweight, you are also a long way away from showing off that 6 pack.

The advertisement for this diet SCREAMS ~infomercial~ Just like any dumbass infomercial you might see on channel 82 at 2 am, trying to sell you some "lounger" that will turn you into a greek god in 30 days.

My policy is an old one, passed on from generation to generation.. "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

You don't even need a BOOK to diet at all. You can find all the information you need on nutrition right at your fingertips (you DO computer access!)

Just....back away from the tater chips, run your ass off.

Lift Heavy, Eat Right, Rest, Repeat.

good luck,

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

FWIW - A man who works for the same company I do, Blake Williams, took the Men's Health Abs Diet challenge last year and won their competition. Aside from losing 16 pounds in 6 weeks, he won a 2005 Mustang. Here's a little article about him.

http://health.msn.com/dietnutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100110924

He, along with the health coordinator here at work, gave a two-part seminar during lunch back in August of last year that got me interested in lifting weights. The first seminar was about the abs diet while the second detailed his circuit training program.

The Abs Diet itself is basically common sense. However, the aspect he liked about it was that all the meals and workouts were detailed in advance for him. There was no planning involved on his part. He only had to print out a grocery list and workout routine once a week. The recipes were all provided, along with details of when to eat what meals.

For someone who isn't sure about or has little experience with how to create a personal diet and exercise routine, it's probably not a bad investment. In fact, had it not been for his seminars last summer, I probably wouldn't be regularly lifting weights myself.

Edit: And I'm glad I attended those seminars. I just got back the results from my annual blood test. With about 4-5 months of lifting and healthy eating under my belt, my overall cholesterol dropped from 247 to 226 compared to last January. And my bad cholesterol is lower while my good cholesterol is higher. Not to mention I'm probably 10-15 pounds lighter overall (and have probably lost more fat than that, considering the muscle I've gained). :D

Post subject: Thanks all
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:50 pm 
Thanks all for replying.. I found out that one of my friends has the book so I decided i'll give it a try any way.

I'm over 25kgs over weight.. but theres muscle in there too ( i think :P), I used to lift but stopped because of time pressure..

I'll see how it goes, wish me luck

Boster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Good luck Boster. I was even more overweight then you at one point. It really sucks and it's hard work to loose the fat. I hope it works well for you. Just stick to it and never give up.

Post subject: Abs Diet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:35 pm 
The Abs Diet sounds like an infomercial, but I assure you it is sound eating advice coupled with a good total body circuit...I read the book and applied the program on my own.
I started the program about a year ago, Feb 2005, and lost 60 lb by the end of Sept 2005. I went from 248 lb down to below 190 lb.

Basic outline of the program:

- 6+ meals daily
- High fiber high lean protein diet
- avoid HFCS, saturated fats, trans fats
- Total Body workout 3 days per week, HIIT 2-3 days per week