ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:18 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey guys, I have a couple questions for you. They're pretty broad I suppose, but I'm just looking for suggestions.

My first question is what's good to eat with my schedule and budget? My typical schedule is: I get up at 5:30 in the morning and go lift weights, then I have a few minutes for breakfast or a shake. Then I have school, and a couple free hours around noon, then work until 9 pm. If I am to eat 5 times a day, it would have to be something like:
1) a quick breakfast,
2) a snack between classes,
3) lunch,
4) lunchbreak at work,
5) dinner after work.

So I guess I'm just fishing for some food suggestions that can work around this kind of schedule without pouring $10+ down my throat every day.

My next question is, should I be overshooting on calories for better weight gain, or undershooting on calories to put on lean weight? I'm 5'10" 150 lbs and about 15% bodyfat. My main goal is to increase muscle mass, but I have a little bit of a gut that I'd like to get rid of. Currently, I'm trying to keep my protein intake high but overall calories about 300-500 below my daily estimated calorie requirements. Is this a good idea, or would it be better to eat excess calories to ensure good weight gain, and then work off the fat later (since muscle mass is my main goal)?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:42 pm 

I would eat something before you lift. Here is the deal. When you wake up, you are basically in a catabolic state. You need some energy to work out with and to maximize your work. When I was lifting in the morning, I would get up and chug down a shake with 2 scoops of whey (48 grams of portein total), 1 banana and a cup of oatmeat.

There is a good section on what you should do about eating on this site. From that, and I appologize for not quoting the author, but kudos to him, split what you are doing with two days of going 300-500 calories above your intake need. In other words: under, under, under, over, under, under, over. It has worked well for me.

Food: Eggs, tuna fish, popcorn, canned chicken. My mid-morning snack is usually a bag of 97% fat free popcorn and a protein bar. Cost is about $2.00. Protein powder isn't all that expensive. The premade drinks are. I think Isopure protein has about 32 g of protein for $3.00. I like Optimum Nutritions Whey Double Chocolate. It is low fat and I just bought some for 41 cents per 24 grams of protein. It doesn't taste bad at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:05 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks, that's good advice. I'm glad you noticed that I go to the gym before I eat because I actually wanted to ask about that too. Do you really think it's ok to chug something right before working out though? I know the body has to divert blood flow to the digestive system to digest food, and that's why you shouldn't eat and exercise at the same time. Does the food you suggested digest really easily or something, or would I still need to wait a little while before my workout? I would hate to move my workout to the last thing of the night, but I would also like to get the most out of my workouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:03 pm 

30 minutes before should be okay. Bare minimum, I would at least eat a banana or even drink a gatorade. From what I understand, you need to have some energy ready to burn. Yes, you are doing some good by lifting, but not nearly as good as if you had some energy.

Try this, make your shake at night. Get up 30-45 minutes earlier and crawl to the fridge and chug down your shake. Go back to bed and get up to workout at your normal time. I would be willing to bet it is one of the best workouts you have had in a long time. By the way, the oatmeal will settle so you might want to stir it up.

I also use water in my shake instead of milk. I don't feel as good as when I use water. All of that is right around 500 good quality calories.