Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milk and Bodybuilding
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:41 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hi

Would like some info on Milk in relation to body building. I know it has Whey and Casein in it and obvously what it says in the label but it seems too good to be true - in reference to price.

For some reason, it is only recently that I have realised the amount of protein in it so I now drink it quite a lot. However, someone in my gym said they had 'heard' that it wasn't digested well. I know this is the case - to say the least - if your lactose intolerent but I have never heard anything else negative about it.

Guess I am looking for a "pros and cons of milk" from the perspective of an aspiring bodybuilder....

Thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:21 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well,

I'm not a bodybuilder. BUT.. I used to know this guy who had an AMAZING body, AND was a fantastic powerlifter, with a flat out incredible bench press (I think I saw him bench 525 once..in the 165 class) We used to call him the Milkman, because he swore that MILK was the only 'supplement' a person needed.

He was pretty persuasive.

dian

Post subject: milk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:16 am 
Well it propably varies a bit but the milk I'm drinking has 33g of protein per litre and 49g of carbohydrates. It's non-fat milk.
The protein in milk is 80% casein and 20% whey. As you might know casein is the "slow protein" while whey is the "fast protein". The sugar in milk is lactose. Milk also contains a lot of calcium so it's good for your bones. A litre of milk gives you about all the calcium your body needs per day.
About calcium. I've heard that drinking excessive amounts of milk can inhibit other minerals from absorbing.

So about a litre a day and your safe. Milk goes well with most foods.
And make sure the milk is non-fat, because the fat in milk is saturated.