ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:49 am 
Rookie
Rookie

For bodybuilding, what's the recomended daily intake of Protien and Callories? I've heard for protien it's 1 gram per pound of body weight. I just wanted to know if that's true, and for calories, I've heard lots of different things. I was just wondering if someone here could clear it all up for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 am 

Try going to the caloric needs calculator to base your daily intake. Figure 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs. I use protein at 1.5 g/pound. I take 10% of the total calorie need for the day and divide that by 9 (calories per gram of fat). The rest is for carbs. Two variations I use (I got this from somewhere and don't remember who to cite) is:

To lose fat but not muscle - drop the calories by 500 for five days and then add 500 calories to the base need for two.

To gain muscle and not fat - add 500 calories to your base need for five days and then drop 500 below the base for two days.

Innersperse your two days in your five.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

hoosegow said it right

too much protien will turn to fat
so if you decide that you need 200 gms per day make sure you break it up almost evenly between your 6 or 7 meals a day.
i say almost because pre and post work out protien should be slightly higher than other meals.

and remember without enough protien in your diet all the hard work in the gym will be for nothing other thatn the buzz afterwards!!!