ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:21 pm 
n00b
n00b

Don't mean to be spreading myself all over the forum, but I want to keep my questions in the relevant threads, where possible.

A couple days a week I work out in the morning (due to work sched). While I used to be able to jump out of bed and work out (those were the days), I now need to get something down so that I don't tank while working out. What I've been doing is drinking down a protein shake about 1/2 to 1 hour before lifting. This is okay, but I'm afraid that when I really start pushing myself hard, I'm going to puke it all back up. Is there a better strategy or food I can eat that will give me quick energy without filling me up?

Also, I read somehwere that it's best to have protein within an hour after lifting, not before. Is this true?

Thanks,

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You should be okay after an hour. Depends on how big the meal is. I usually eat about 500 cals an hour before lifting and generally don't have a problem. A bigger meal would need more time to digest.

Protein before and after lifting is good. Actually, immediately after lifting you really should have a post-workout drink that consists of ~65g of simple sugars like sucrose and dextrose and ~35g of whey protein. I think there's a recent thread about it somewhere on this forum.

John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:02 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
I now need to get something down so that I don't tank while working out. What I've been doing is drinking down a protein shake about 1/2 to 1 hour before lifting. This is okay, but I'm afraid that when I really start pushing myself hard, I'm going to puke it all back up. Is there a better strategy or food I can eat that will give me quick energy without filling me up?

A protein/carb drink prior to working out will help you. You might try ingesting a little less and sipping it during your workout.

Also, taking some caffeine will help you. A cup of coffee or a caffeine tablet about a hour before you workout should sustain you energy level.

Quote:
Also, I read somehwere that it's best to have protein within an hour after lifting, not before. Is this true?

A post workout beverage enhances recovery. However, the research now indicates a preworkout beverage as well as sipping a driink during your workout enhances recovery even more.

So, take something before, during and after your workout to maximize your results.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

One hour before lifting? Do you wake up with the bread trucks?

Anyway, in the summer I find myself enjoying a workout before work. I have some low-fat plain yogurt, sometimes adding a banana. Seems to do the trick.