ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:02 am 
former lurker

Hi everyone, new forum user here.

I've absorbed as much information from the website as possible, and read both of Rob Faigan's books on NHE (thoughts on these books?). I spent last year loosely applying the information and got into much better shape. This year I would like to be much more strict, particularly with my diet.

I'm 6"1 and weigh 200lbs, which would be fine apart from the fact that I've become very flabby after an absence from the gym, and a months holiday abroad where I ate and drank beer constantly:)

My goal is to remain at 200lb's (or perhaps gain to around 220lb's later if all looks well) but to greatly reduce my bodyfat ratio.

From what I've read, I believe that I should first lose the bodyfat (probably taking my overall weight down to 180lb's), and then build back up after that (is this most likely to be the fastest route?)

Most of the information I have read on the website is about weight gain, so I'm not sure about the best method for bodyfat loss. Here is my current thinking - I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

I'm going to move to 6 smaller meals per day consisting of 3 protein shakes and 3 healthy meals (egg type meal for breakfast, tuna salad type meal for lunch, brown rice curry type meal for evening meal)
I intend to do my day's main exercise in the morning (6 days per week, 3 days weights, 3 days cardio + 1 hour walk each day)
Normally I would have a shake before and after exercise, but now that I'm trying to trim down, I'm going to try exercise before breakfast and wait an hour or so after exercise before eating in an attempt to burn bodyfat.

Thanks for any feedback regarding my approach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:45 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I think your approach of cutting first, building up after is very sound. Most people come on the forum and want to do both at the same time, which while not impossible, can be a very hard thing to do. I think your diet approach is very solid as well. Here are a couple of articles which are along the lines of what is on site here, but a little more geared toward fat loss.
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutriti ... ting_2.htm
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 am 
Novice
Novice

Tim is right for the most part on losing body fat while gaining muscle, this does apply for most people however, dont think that you are not losing fat when you exercise with weights....its just a bit slower process that snowballs over the long haul the more experience and training you get under your belt. Its there but not seen as fast as doing cardio and eating clean along with it. Once you reach yoru desired body fat % ( dont get wrapped up in weight loss in general), its much easier to keep it down by staying consistent over time. Again, mix all three together to get maximal results.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 pm 

As I quote my friend, "Just lift man, just lift."

Scott, glad to see you back on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:43 am 
former lurker

hi! .......make sure you do not get fatigue or injure yourself. during training.
once training starts, cumulatively increase calories intake to maintain a high level of energy to train for progression. DO NOT REDUCE YOUR CALORIE INTAKE BEFORE YOU START TO TRAIN you are not stupid i am sure so please be sensible and use your initiative on this.

this advice is approxamate. to ascertain proper recommended calorie intake relative to output / goals / training structure i can recommend you buy the anita bean sports nutrition books or give me your food mood and energy diary and training structure for the past month / prospective month and i'll do it for you.

nicole carter :0)

mad4it wrote:
Hi everyone, new forum user here.

I've absorbed as much information from the website as possible, and read both of Rob Faigan's books on NHE (thoughts on these books?). I spent last year loosely applying the information and got into much better shape. This year I would like to be much more strict, particularly with my diet.

I'm 6"1 and weigh 200lbs, which would be fine apart from the fact that I've become very flabby after an absence from the gym, and a months holiday abroad where I ate and drank beer constantly:)

My goal is to remain at 200lb's (or perhaps gain to around 220lb's later if all looks well) but to greatly reduce my bodyfat ratio.

From what I've read, I believe that I should first lose the bodyfat (probably taking my overall weight down to 180lb's), and then build back up after that (is this most likely to be the fastest route?)

Most of the information I have read on the website is about weight gain, so I'm not sure about the best method for bodyfat loss. Here is my current thinking - I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

I'm going to move to 6 smaller meals per day consisting of 3 protein shakes and 3 healthy meals (egg type meal for breakfast, tuna salad type meal for lunch, brown rice curry type meal for evening meal)
I intend to do my day's main exercise in the morning (6 days per week, 3 days weights, 3 days cardio + 1 hour walk each day)
Normally I would have a shake before and after exercise, but now that I'm trying to trim down, I'm going to try exercise before breakfast and wait an hour or so after exercise before eating in an attempt to burn bodyfat.

Thanks for any feedback regarding my approach

google nicolecartersfunfitness for the exrx.net link to my website! ( warning: contains adult content )