ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:08 am 
1.what is the difference between good carbs and bad carbs,from pre-workout and during workout energy point of view? Why is juice/oatmeal better than cola from the mentioned point of view?

2.I read somewhere that one should not have some thing sweet 1/2 an hour before and after meals as it stops digestion,is it true?,will juice/milk with honey/anything sweet affect nutrition absorption in any way?

thanks

Post subject: Re: 2 questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:33 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
1.what is the difference between good carbs and bad carbs,from pre-workout and during workout energy point of view? Why is juice/oatmeal better than cola from the mentioned point of view?

Carbohydrates are like tool in a tool box. You want to use the right tool for the right job.

High glycemic index carbohydrates stimulate insulin. Insulin has been shown to be one of the most anabolic hormone. However, insulin is also sown to increase body fat storage. Thus, the key is when to ingest high glyceminc index foods.

Ressarch shows that when a high glycemic index carbohydrate such as maltodextrin is combined with a whey protein and ingested before, during and immediately after a workout, it prevents muscle breakdown and decreases recover time. The means you grow more muscle.

During other parts of the day, ingesting high glycemic index foods stops body fats from being burned and increase fat storage.

So, the best tiem to consume high glycemic index carbohydrates is before, during and after exercises. The rest of the time, you can to consume low to moderage glycemic carbohydrates.

Quote:
2.I read somewhere that one should not have some thing sweet 1/2 an hour before and after meals as it stops digestion,is it true?,will juice/milk with honey/anything sweet affect nutrition absorption in any way?

And according to Chicken Little, "The sky is falling." Don't believe everything you read.

Unless, the information you read is based on research, I would disregard it. If is is a research article, I would be interested in readingit. Can you provide it?

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:55 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I normally never disagree with Kenny, but IMHO, it depends on your situation. If you are trying to gain weight, then yes. But if not, then I might steer clear of preworkout hi GI carbs. Reasoning being, , as Kenny stated, it will raise insulin, which shuts down gh release (a fat burning mechanism). During and after seem to be reasonable, however, I only drink water during, but post workout, a hi GI will fit the bill nicely. Just keep it smaller in kcal if trying to shed the fat, but is still needed.
I have no idea of who coined the terms "good" and "bad" for carbs, but it is usually based on the gi (glycemic index). what is usally termed as "good are those that are slowly digested, inducing Insulin at a much lower rate. The term "bad" is usally used for carbs that are quite quickly digested, putting insulin at higher levels, very quickly. Note that insulin is a "storage hormone" that can be a double edged sword. Yes, it will store good stuff into the muscles, but at the same time, if you have too much intake, in terms of carbs, fats, protein, it will store the excess as fat after glycogen levels in the muscles are topped off.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:05 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
I normally never disagree with Kenny,

I usually don't disagree wth Tim but...:)

Quote:
but IMHO, it depends on your situation. If you are trying to gain weight, then yes. But if not, then I might steer clear of preworkout hi GI carbs. Reasoning being, , as Kenny stated, it will raise insulin, which shuts down gh release (a fat burning mechanism). During and after seem to be reasonable, however, I only drink water during, but post workout, a hi GI will fit the bill nicely. Just keep it smaller in kcal if trying to shed the fat, but is still needed.

There are two schools of thought. One being to ingest a drink before, during and after you workouts as a means of enhancing recovery. Not doing so delays recovery.

The other school of thought being that not ingesting anything that raises insulin, will increase growth hormone.

First of all, I question exactly how much growth hormone is released. Is enough growth hormone released to compensate for the recovery delay you will expeerience from not ingesting a high glyceminc index carbohydrate along with whey protein.

Secondly, insulin has been show to be one of the most anabolic hormones there is. Ingesting a carbhydrate/whey protein prior, during and after the workout is two fold.

You replenish the muscle cells along with creating a stimulus (the release of insulin) for muscle growth.

From the data I have read, a greater release of growth hormone is released during sleep. This providing you have not ingested high glycemic index carbohydrates before going to bed.

The data also suggest that ingesting argenine and orthanine prior to sleep will elelate growth hormone even more.

Thus, the most effective method focus on your bed time strategy.

With that said, let me now contradict myself to some extent. I question how much growth hormone is released in sleeping, even with the argenine/orthanine supplementation.

Quote:
I have no idea of who coined the terms "good" and "bad" for carbs,

People are stupid. No matter how you cut it. People always want a simple answer to a complex question. And it you can say it in two words, like "bad carb" or "good carb," even better.

Quote:
but it is usually based on the gi (glycemic index). what is usally termed as "good are those that are slowly digested, inducing Insulin at a much lower rate. The term "bad" is usally used for carbs that are quite quickly digested, putting insulin at higher levels, very quickly. Note that insulin is a "storage hormone" that can be a double edged sword. Yes, it will store good stuff into the muscles, but at the same time, if you have too much intake, in terms of carbs, fats, protein, it will store the excess as fat after glycogen levels in the muscles are topped off

Well put. It much like asking which tool is the best tool in your tool boc. Thus, it depends on what you are doing.

If you want to drive a nail, a hammer is the best tool. If you are trying too put a screw in wood, a screw driver is the best tool.

However, I have used a hammer too put a screw in wood. It works but not very well...:)

Kenny Croxdale