ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beef Jerky
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:40 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What popular brands do you recommend? I have found that it is a perfect study snack as I can easily bring it anywhere and I like it.

The only brand in my University Center is Oberto. I can probably head over to Wegman's or Walmart or SuperFresh to pick up some other brands. Recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:52 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I agree, jerky is a perfect protein snack, and terribly easy to pack around with you. Thats probably how it originated in the first place. Oberto is good. I get most of mine in the hyooge bags over at Sams or Costco. They use their own store brands (Kirkland and members Mark) which is probably Oberto or another big name done up for generic sales at those stores. Walmart probably has the same things going (it and Sam's are under the same ownership) with Great Value brand.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:36 pm 

For convenience, I like Robertson's which can be found at any Love's Truck Stop. You can get a pound for about $20.00. I am also very lucky to live in central Texas and the Germans, Czechs, and Poles have a great history of drying meat. I can go into just about any meat market and get some great jerky from anywhere $19.00 to $22.00 per pound. However, the best jerky in the world is made at a little smoke shop in Hope, Arkansas by a man I guess is in his late 70's. He smokes it with apple and hickory and it is great. When I go there, I generally have $200 and orders from 6-8 people to pick them up some. Most the places I go to are more than willing to ship their stuff to you. If you are intersted, I can post some numbers and you can go crazy. I made my own not too long ago from a deer I had shot. It isn't hard, it just takes some time. What better way to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon than "tending a fire" and drinking some cold frosty adult beverages? Finally, you can make your own with some cheap roast and your oven. Just cut the roast in slender strips and dry it at 180 for about six hours. You can marinate it in soy sauce, worchester sauce, or whatever you want or just salt and pepper it.

Sorry for going on. I'm inspired to run to the butcher shop down the road and buy some for lunch.

Post subject: hi guys!! jerky...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:09 am 
n00b
n00b

itsy bitsy teeny dried weener yellow polka dot bikini status!!

nice idea hoosegow!!

the first time i tried jerky was in 1995 when i was in jamaica. we visited a plantation and tried some of the stuff they were air drying. there was pork and beef which because it was my first time i thought was really chewy and tough but very tasty when i eventally managed to extract some of the flavour!!

i have actually managed to freeze dry some of my turkey recently which is almost the same. i have been doing some woosey winter survival training in my flat because i've got a gas leak when i turn the heating on so i've just taken the opportunity to get used to having no central heating. it's amazing how now i don't actually feel the cold as much but it is nice to get into the warm!!

my uncle visted me this morning at some crazy early hour before he went to work because he has been worried about me and he brought me a heater!! bless im!

if u r reading this thanks uncle twev!! and thanks for the money! i spent it at tescos. they do a kg bag of pasta for [1 million dollars]!! and a kg bag of rice for about the same price AND cheap bags of cous cous too!! i also got some soya mince ( good vegan protein AND for a varied diet which is important to maintain nutrient diversity )

i've also been doing some " cultivating dodgy off food bacteria to try and immunise myself" training. ( don't ask! ;0)

in short, harvey nicholls are the only shop that do cheapish no added sodium jerky, there are a few that i have seen that have monosodiumglutamate (or don'tbother for short), there is a good shop called ndebele on earl grey street that do proper south african biltong, but i found that the packet stuff had salt in it, which if it's dried properly shouldn't need any at all.

they sell it by the whole dried salami style or by slices.

nc
ps sorry about the weener joke....

hoosegow wrote:
For convenience, I like Robertson's which can be found at any Love's Truck Stop. You can get a pound for about $20.00. I am also very lucky to live in central Texas and the Germans, Czechs, and Poles have a great history of drying meat. I can go into just about any meat market and get some great jerky from anywhere $19.00 to $22.00 per pound. However, the best jerky in the world is made at a little smoke shop in Hope, Arkansas by a man I guess is in his late 70's. He smokes it with apple and hickory and it is great. When I go there, I generally have $200 and orders from 6-8 people to pick them up some. Most the places I go to are more than willing to ship their stuff to you. If you are intersted, I can post some numbers and you can go crazy. I made my own not too long ago from a deer I had shot. It isn't hard, it just takes some time. What better way to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon than "tending a fire" and drinking some cold frosty adult beverages? Finally, you can make your own with some cheap roast and your oven. Just cut the roast in slender strips and dry it at 180 for about six hours. You can marinate it in soy sauce, worchester sauce, or whatever you want or just salt and pepper it.

Sorry for going on. I'm inspired to run to the butcher shop down the road and buy some for lunch.