ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canned vegetables?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:30 am 
n00b
n00b

After reading about nutrition (from this forum/site and everywhere else) I've come to the conclusion that I need to greatly increase my vegetable intake. However, I live alone and usually have trouble with food going bad before I can finish it. I'm wondering if canned vegetables are any good? I can buy boxes of cans of green beans for cheap and they keep forever, but do they actually have any redeeming nutritional value (assuming of course nothing bad added)?

I'm sure fresh is better but sometimes it's just difficult. What are others thoughts on this? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Canned veggies are just as good. It is possible some might have something added, but usually not. I eat canned veggies. Frozen is another option. I make stir-fry and other things that are just meat and canned and frozen veggies. A crock pot is handy to have around for quick easy meals too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:19 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm not sure if they are "as good", but certainly close to it. I live alone myself, and while the fresh stuff is good in season, you are absolutely correct as far as spoilage goes. I hardly mess with bying large heads of broccoli or cauliflower anymore. I just get the bags of the frozen cuts. They nuke up quite nicely in 1-2 portion size servings very easily in the microwave. Canned veg works fine. One of my tricks is to make a salad with canned veg that will last 3 days or so in the refrigerator, so when its meal time I just go into the bowl and take a scoop out. An example of what I may do is to take a can of Italian beans, a can of shelly beans, chop up some fresh cucumber, bell pepper, and a can of mushroom stems and pieces and throw in any other goodies I might have on hand, and toss it with olive oil and lemon juice. It lasts for a while. Makes a good sald in itself, and also works nicely over a bed of reens.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Love canned, love frozen. If I had a nickel for every rotten head of lettuce I've thrown out. . .