ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suppliments for Mass
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Right now I'm taking whey protien powder and creatine. Are there any other suppliments I should be taking to assist me in packing on lean mass? I'm also over 40 and concerned I may not be producing enough testosterone to adequately promote muscle growth...is something like GH Stack worth considering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

I would not worry about GH stacks...stay natural. Your not going to compete at high levels and really dont need those to 'hang" with the big boys. I do suggest some form of tribulus and No Xplode though. Tribe helps me recover and ward off the old man aches and pains in the joints and No Xplode really gives me a pre workout boost without the jitters or crash after a half hour of lifting. It actually gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and stays with you throughout the entire workout. I would also suggest BCAAs ( branch chain amino acids) to help aid in muscle building since amino acids are the basic structure of protein. Im not enamoured too much with straight whey protien because it could add to too much excess weight gain and give you the $h1t, gas and bloats. If you have to use them, pick a high quality whey isolate ( 97% pure) like Isopure. Not to say that whey protien doesnt have its place, it does help get that extra nutrition with out having to stuff yourself sick. Its good for a quick post workout meal until you have the time to eat a good supper and is fast aborption. Im sure you know all this stuff, just reenforcing it.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Scott and actually i don't know all this stuff, keep in mind I've been out of bodybuilding for almost 20 years and so much has changed...back then Low Volume / High Intesity workouts were not the norm and the advances in suppliments are amazing..back in my day it was L-tyrosine, Argenine and Protien Powders. and the science of it all has particularly gotten more advanced.
They whey powder I consume pretty much as you described...its my in between meal, i add a banana and some whole milk to it and drink it mid morning and mid afternoon in between breakfast, lunch and dinner. As for the GH Stacks i thought they were natural...i had seen an advertisment for them in Ironman magazine and it said it was sold at GNC, am I thinking of the wrong product? As for BCAA's, what Aminos are these and where can i find them..are they purchased individually? Thanks again for all the help..this site is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm trying out some tribulus right now. We'll see how it goes. It's the Tribex gold. I've never had any digestion problems with whey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:33 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I'd never heard of Tribulus for recuperative purposes. I do have some that I take because it's part of an estrogen block that was recommended to me. I take DHEA (not at all for bodyuilding purposes, but because at close to 60 it can help to bring normal hormal balance back towards center), and use it to prevent any T from going to Estrogen or DHT. Now , from what I know, Trib is an LH, or Lutenizing Hormone, which works as a catalyst for testosterone precursors (prohormones) to convert to testosterone. Not really sure if theere is much hard evidence that it does that in full though.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

So Tribulus is a hormone of some sort?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No. It may increase testosterone levels a little bit though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:31 pm 

Here is a good piece on tribulus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
Also a little bit of info on some other prohormones as well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just wanted to post this..... Yes, tribulus increases hormones in the pituitary gland sending it down to the testes to increase testosterone levels.

No, tribulus is not directly used for recovery purposes but in my case, the indirect results of taking tribulus and the increase of test levels in my body has helped in soreness and muscle recovery. I take tribistan, 500 mg / day even though the recommended dosage is 1500/day.

BCAA.s have been around for decades. Weider used to and still does put put packets of them, and any supplement store and even wal mart has them on the shelves. To name a few companies....twin lab, opitmum nutrition, weider, the list goes on.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:38 pm 

Don't f@@k with your hormones - period. If you think your T is low, then get tested. If you are low, your doc will prescribe hormone replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks again for all the help guys, I won't f@@k with my hormones, lol...and I'll look into the BCAA's..aside from that sounds like I'm already doing what I should suppliment wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

L-Arganine is still used...NO2 is basically a super does of arganine with added others into it. BCAA's are three essential amino acids that are meant to work together to make other amino acids. Leucine, Isoleucine and valine are the Big Three that make up BCAAs. These cannot be made by the body but have to be supplied by outside sources. They do combine to make on demand aminos and non essentials as well as being used directly as energy and muscle tissue repair. Its best to use them with your protien powders and or a multi vitamin, especially the B vitamins for best results

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Scott, yes I went to BB.com and read up on the BCAA's so I'll be getting a bottle of those...one other question...any experience with the pill form of Creatine vice the powder...I'm talking about monohydrate creatine...is one better than the other because I'd actually prefer to take the pills...just easier for me i guess...also what about Muscletechs Creakic...which claies to be the stongest creatine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:32 am 

German micronized (sp?) is supposed to be the best. I don't know why but that is what "everyone" says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:08 am 

Hoosegow, from what I've read in the past, the German stuff is probably the purest, and the micronized just makes is easier to dissolve in liquid.
Deano, go with powder form. You'd end up having to take a ton of pills, plus creatine is best utilized when totally dissolved in a liquid, it ensures it will get into your system.Pills, well, you never know about the pill casing breakdowns, etc.
Tim