ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creatine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:26 pm 
former lurker

Hi everyone, I'm looking to start taking creatine and am I have some questions concering taking it and how to properly use it.

1) I'm aware that there are two types of creatine, creatine monohydrate and creatine ethel ester. First are there are any differences between the two types, and if so what are they?

2) I've heard of cycling creatine, taking it for a given period of time, and am curious of what is the optimum length of a cycle for the best type of results.

3) I also want to know how much i should take during a loading phase, and how much during the maintnece phase I weigh about 160 lbs.

Any advice, knowlege, or articles concering these questions would be greatly apprecitated.

thanks

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You want this.

http://www.t-nation.com/category.jsp?ca ... 1#creatine

You want to take 1 scoop and 1 scoop only every single day. No loading, no cycling. On days you work out take it after your workout. Try to take it around the same time on your off days. It's best on an empty stomach. So before dinner is a good time.

Post subject: I'm trialing it too
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:54 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I just started yesterday. A site I found yesterday that I can't find right now but will be in the history of my work computer said there are three major theories on how to take it:
The Supplement Companies:
Loading Phase: 5g 4 times a day for 5 days then Maintenance Phase: 5g a day there after with cycling if you wish.

1 study Reccomendation:
No loading phase just 5g a day with cycling if you wish but no great advantage was found other than financial to cycling.

Multiple Studies Reccomended:
Loading Phase: 5g 2 times a day for 5 days
1st Maintenance: 5g a day for 5 days
2nd Maintenance: 3g a day for 7 days
3rd Maintenance: 2g a day for 5 weeks
Repeat straight away or after a 2 week break (no research to really support either)

The numbers might be slightly out but I'll check them tomorrow if I get a chance! I'm taking the third option as it saves a butt load of money over the long term! But Ironman may have used it and knows form experience, where as I am in the same boat as you!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:00 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Here is the site I mentioned!

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-creatine.aspx

It has some good info! Also I've been doing the 10g a day loading phase since Monday and I did an upper body gym session and a game of volleyball yesterday and my jumping for spikes wasn't really improved, but I could do it more than the last month or so, but probably a placebo effect at this point! My recovery has been heaps better today though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:19 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Am I the only one, or has anyone else developed eye twitching when taking creatine? It was minor but annoying. It eventually led me to stop taking the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jeff, yes Ironman has taken it and knows from experience. I did an experiment on myself to prove or disprove an article on T-nation. In my case it appears they were correct.

I never had eye twitches. People have mentioned leg cramps, but I never had that either. Tim said that if he takes it the way I do it gives him intestinal problems. It very well could have some odd little side effects. I've never had any though. I put it in my mouth and wash it down with water by way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:25 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Stephen, just FYI, never eye twitches w/the creatine, but have recently started getting eye twitches w/out taking it. Just thought it might be age related, and you and I are the same age.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

just for the extra input....

I'm 22 and have been taking creatine for about 2 years. The only negative or strange thing I have experienced is slight pain in my sides but it turned out I was taking too much in the 'loading phase' - the measures were too big as i just assumed the amount i was putting in was correct.

I just take one measure every day now i.e. skip the 'loading phase' - I don't have any logical reason behind it other than - it runs down a lot quicker during the loading phase, lol. I used to come off it for a few months and then come back on it so I could feel that initial boost you get from it the first time you take it, but not anymore, maybe i'm gettin old ?

Other than that, no problems. I think everyone should take Creatine.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimD wrote:
Stephen, just FYI, never eye twitches w/the creatine, but have recently started getting eye twitches w/out taking it. Just thought it might be age related, and you and I are the same age.
Tim

Thanks for the reply, TimD

Actually, the eye-twitching episode took place 4 years or so ago, when I was a spry 40-something. When I stopped using creatine, the twitching went away. It might have been an idiosyncratic response to the stuff on my part.

Hope that you can figure out what's causing your eye twitching. Eye twitches are like cockroaches - they can't kill you, but they sure can louse things up