ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alcohol
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:16 pm 
former lurker

Hi, I was wondering if light (1-2 drinks a week) alcohol consumption has all the scary effects on testosterone, fat metabolism, I see when googling for the effects of alcohol. Would drinking at this level make a noticeable difference to someone who's trying to lose fat and build muscle with a moderate (120g/day) protein diet and lifting every other day?

Thanks!

PS - I'm sorry if I've broken some rules of etiquette for this forum; I wasn't able to find an introduction or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:35 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

1-2 drinks a week shouldn't do any damage. In fat, most Doctor's I know actually recommend a 3-4 oz glass of wine /day, especially the red varieties. Supposed to be good for the heart, blood, and chloresterol levels.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I drink a lot more then that and I'm fine. There was a study where people that had 10 to 15 drinks a week or something like that were the healthiest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:44 pm 
former lurker

I was thinking more in terms of short term effects. I saw articles talking about how alcohol decreases testosterone levels and suppresses fat metabolism, but I didn't know what level of alcohol consumption they were talking about (this was on bodybuilding.com, so perhaps the info is bogus?). Exrx has never steered me wrong, so I thought I'd check that here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:05 am 

I can't quote the study, but alcohol is supposed to do exactly what you are talking about in the short term. How short, I don't know. What supposedly happens, if I remember correctly, is that it converts the test into estrogen. Your body tries to keep its test levels up so it produces more HGH. That supposedly is why alcohol makes people horny or aggressive. How long the effects last, I do not know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:32 am 
former lurker

yes alcohol has negative affects on your body. But do you really spend all that time in the gym making your body look good so you can sit in your room on saturday night and beat your meat? It's fine to drink, just in moderation. Don't be hammering back shot after shot. 6-8 beers once a week or every other week like i do is fine, get that buzz on and go out and enjoy life. Those guys who never drink or go out because it will destroy their workouts are usually wierd boring people. Just be smart about it, try to drink water in between drinks, and chug a protein drink before you hit the rack for the night. Also don't spend the next day lying in bed with a hangover. Get up and drink water and eat something to get your body going again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:57 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If it is currently a goal to lose body fat then you must cut alcohol out for the duration of the fat loss phase. This will improve results.

If you must have alcohol then your are better off having a lot of alcohol 1 day a week then having a little every day. I got this tip at a seminar from Alwyn Cosgrove (fat loss expert among other things).