ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In fact without whey I couldn't get enough protein, even on my low carb cutting diet. I've been kind of slacking and only getting 200 grams or so. Just the last few days I have been getting it in gear and getting over 250 like I should. When bulking I get even less protein in the regular diet because I have to eat more carbs, so then I really go through some whey. A little soy too. Next time I will add casein as well. I'll probably be closer to 300 on workout days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

What is the best source for Whey protein? Brand names, stores, websites, whatever. I live in a very rural town in Northern Oklahoma so my choice for shopping for anything, without driving 100 miles, is either Walmart, GNC or the internet.

Right now I'm using the GNC 100% Whey. It's available locally, I can purchase as I need it without having it shipped in which makes it a good choice for me. Is there something that's more cost-effective, or just more effective in general? I used the Muscle Milk but that's really way too expensive to keep up for long, even in the powder form.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I get mine at Walmart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The Iron Fortress stuff? I looked at that in there, and the price was certainly right, but I was unsure. I'll take your word for it though and give that a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:46 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Noexit wrote:
What is the best source for Whey protein? Brand names, stores, websites, whatever. I live in a very rural town in Northern Oklahoma so my choice for shopping for anything, without driving 100 miles, is either Walmart, GNC or the internet.

Right now I'm using the GNC 100% Whey. It's available locally, I can purchase as I need it without having it shipped in which makes it a good choice for me. Is there something that's more cost-effective, or just more effective in general? I used the Muscle Milk but that's really way too expensive to keep up for long, even in the powder form.

Thanks

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are different qualities of whey protein. Think of it like cars. Everything from Hyundai to Lexus and everything in between. The quality and price differ.

Same thing with whey proteins. So, read the label.

Vitacost.com is one place that offers you some of the best pricing on supplments. Check it out.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Iron Fortress is of good quality. The 6 star is really only better because some of the stuff they add to it. They are both good and reasonably priced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

One more question about this, I hope it doesn't get lost in this thread.

Is there a limit to the amount of protein that should be consumed at one time. What I mean is that based on the idea that "It's not how much protein you ingest, but how much you digest" is there a limit to what the body can handle at one time?

Specifically, I've been doing a double shot of my whey supplement post-workout, for a protein intake of 40g or so. Am I wasting this? Would I be better off doing 20g, waiting a bit, then doing 20g more? The other times I take it I usually just do a single serving.

I'm not wanting to do 100g at a time, but I do want to make sure I'm not wasting what I'm taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a limit but it is pretty high. It won't cause any problems, it's just a waste of protein. 40 or 50 grams at a time is just right unless you are really small. 2 scoops before and after should be good for most people.