ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anabolic Diet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:12 am 
n00b
n00b

Anyone have any experience with the Anabolic Diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:22 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I've used it, and variations on it. It's basically just a variation on a standard CKD or cycliclal Ketogenic diet. Dr. DiPasquales anabolic diet is 5 very low carb days, in combination with two refeed days. I don't eat a great deal of starchy carbs anyway, so it worked out great for me, but I found I needed only 1 refeed day in most cases. T-Mag tweaked it a bit and came up with their version of it, which, in my opinion, is very doable. As far as keeping the fat off, it worked very well (I also tweak it by not going overboard on the real fatty meats, and used cheese as a condiment rather than sitting down and eating half a brick at a time). As to using it for muscle gain, well, yes I could, but I certainly wouldn't use it for bulking.
One more thing. In the past few years, Dr. DiPaquale has tweaked it himself, and came up with the Metabolic diet, which is similar, but allows more leeway for tweaking with different goal oriented directions.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:42 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks Tim,
I've been on the AD for 2-1/2 months now. I've read that it takes, like 9 months to get fully fat adapted. Don't know if I want to do it that long. But the concept of burning fat for most of my fuel could be worth it. I'm just about 50 and I've noticed 2 things. I've been able to lift much heavier weight than before and sex has been better than ever. The hormones are kicking in big time. I get a little tired by Friday before I carb up. That's been the only downside.

Deadman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:55 am 

I don't know about the 9 months to get fat adaopted, , seems to me I get there fine in a week or so, but then again I've never eaten a lot of starchy carbs anyway. Now, you said your 50, so your only about 8 years behind me, and if you can remember, Vince Gironda had his bodybuilders on something similar back since the 50's. It was the same type of cycle, but 4 on 1 off. Might want to give that a shot if it's hard getting the 5 in. Personally, these days, I don't use any of the "diets" out there, but if I had to categorize, it would be closer to the Zone, Protein Power, or South Beach, somewhere in the grey areas in between. Lean meats, but no real worry about fat content as long as the cut is fairly lean, fish, etc, lots of fibrous veg, some fruit in the morning, limited starches, but I will mix in some legume with the veg, I just watch the quantities, and the fats; olive oil, nuts avacadoes, etc. Drink nothing but coffee tea and water (ok, maybe some beers at BBQs), no added sugars. Seems to work well for me.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:27 pm 
n00b
n00b

I also had the 'crash' on the 5th day. That is the point where your metabolism shifts to burning fats, but from what I hear it takes a lot longer to be totaly shifted. I will probably do what you said and modify things a bit. I've tried many supplements etc. , but this high fat thing is one of the few things that has really worked for me. I want to stay a fat burner, not a carb burner. I want my cake and eat it too...