ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre/Post Work out foods
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What sort of food intake pre/post work out would I need for gaining muscle weight/muscle mass.

Currently I have an apple or two an hour or so before my work out and afterwards I try to have a meal or at least a multi-vitamin, fish oil, glutamine, and a 50g protein shake.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Matt J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:09 am 

Assuming you're not diabetic, you need carbs after your workout to replenish your glycogen. You need enough high GI carbs to spike your insulin. Most recommend maltodextrin (corn sugar) but anything similar will work (table sugar, watermelon, etc). Most recommendations are between 4-1 to 2-1 carb/protein with the former being for endurance atheletes and the latter being strength atheletes.

See the related thread at http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3 ... sc&start=0

Kenny recommends 15 grams protein/60 g maltodexetrine. Ironman recommends a max of 75 g carbs post workout.

Here's the bottom line: "It's poor judgement not to ingest some type of beverage that contains carbohydrates after your workout. "

Here's a very interesting debate on the subject on another site (Todd Wilson is very knowledgeable and credible):
http://drsquat.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Last edited by stuward on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

and my protein recommendations are based your personal stats. !5 grams of protein is great......... if under 3 feet tall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:17 pm 
former lurker

How does this change for someone with Type II diabetes? Are carbs the enemy here?

My hemoglobin A1C is usually between 6.1-7.1, I have been doing cardio for years - usually 40 minutes walking/treadmill 3-5 times a week. Started weight training this year and so far have seen promising results, now I would like to tailor my diet to promote muscle growth.

Being new to all of this I am thinking the cardio and weight training may be working against each other. I don't feel I should cut the cardio out - I am thinking proper diet pre and post workout may be the last piece of the puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would keep cardio to a minimum. Diet is going to be the main factor. You need to keep your carbs pretty low and eat low GI. You can have some carbs at breakfast and postworkout if you are trying to build muscle. Just make sure you take metformin so your body makes use of it.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:23 am 
former lurker

Thanks Ironman, you rock! I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and not being counter-productive.

Yes I am taking metformin already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:05 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Misterlee, I agree with most of the above, but walking on a treadmill 3-5 days/ week for 30-45 mins isn't really intense enough to work against the weights. Should even prove to be beneficial for your overall heart health. When they talk about cardio being counter active to weights, it's something that could be of a very long duration, and fairly intense. Now, if youwere running 5 or so miles/day, yes, drop it like a hot potato, but I really don't think what you are doing is anywhere near that category.
Tim