ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:20 am 
n00b
n00b

hey guys,

i need some advice on nutrition. im 160 pounds with some amount of body fat (which I wish to reduce to about 10-12%)...I think Im around 14-15% right now. Plus, I need to put on muscle, too. Let me know if im on the right track in terms of nutrition.

Oh, and I workout for an hour 6 day/week. This doesnt include any cardio.

During workout:

I only consume glucose based drinks. I assume it amounts to around 30g carbs.
After reading some articles, I've realized that its important to consume BCAA's aswell. So, what exactly should my drink consist of?

Post workout:
Immediately after: 30 g whey isolate + 60 g high GI carbs. Ive been told by some people to add BCAA's and some insulin spiking amino acids to this shake. Again, what should the exact composition be? Is it important to take BCAA during workout or post workout?

About an hour after workout: a healthy meal consisting of pasta and boiled chicken breast.

Now, apart from the above question, could someone also shed light on whether its important to consume carbs for breakfast? Some people have suggested only proteins for breakfast; no carbs untill lunch. What your take on that?

Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

carbs for breakfast. But lots of protein at every meal.

It sounds like you are eating a bulking diet if you are eating enough. Are you new to training?

It sounds like your routine is a bit much. I'd have to see more details though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks for the reply, iron.

yes, I am new to training. Ive been told to train 6 days/week. workout sessions are an hour long. I also do cardio, but only three days a week, and not post workout. I usually do cardio at night.
i dont think on a bulking diet. But, yes, I hardly have any muscles on my body that are worth mentioning. So, im trying to keep my diet high in protein and keep carbs to a minimum, to prevent any weight gain; I put on weight too easily.

Im still confused about the post workout shake thing. Since my body weight is 160 pounds (139 pounds lean according to some websites calculation), I take in about 25-30 g whey protein post workout and around 65-70 g carbs. Is that too much? Im using ON 100% optimum whey. It contains about 5g BCAA's per 24g of whey. Does this mean that I neednt take any extra BCAA's? Also, could someone please recommend good quality carbs for postworkout.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would start just lifting weights 3 days a week and 1 cardio session about 20 minutes. Then get your diet lined out. You should cut back on the carbs. Have some for breakfast and some postworkout and eat fairly low carb the rest of the time. I don't think you need 65 to 70 grams post workout. 30 would probably do the trick. To be honest though, for a beginner you don't really need all that crap anyway. You'll grow if you just get the protein up and lift heavy. You should be able to loose a little fat and put on some muscle at the same time. Don't worry about BCAA's, just eat complete protein like the whey you are taking. As for carb type, putting whey in some chocolate milk works if you are going for simple. If you are likely to gain fat, V8 makes a couple varieties of fruit and veg juices without any added sugar.

If you do all that and somewhere down the road you plateau, then you can add more cardio and maybe reduce carbs or calories to get those last couple pounds off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks a bunch.!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:15 am 
former lurker

The use of proper amino acid supplemenation around training is very important for maximizing muscle growth, performance, recovery and fat loss. BCAA are a great choice as they are highly anti catabolic, they should be used along with A Free Form Amino Acid (FFAA) source 30 minutes before training to optimize the hormonal environment for training. The addition of some carbs in the form of glucose can help, but 20g is about all you need. For those sensitive to simple sugars; I would avoid any additional carbs as the Aminos when put together correctly to a good job spiking insulin.

Following workouts glycogen replenishment is not as big of an issue as many would think. A person weight training will not use as much glycogen as previously thought. According to nutrition and exercise expert Dr. Eric Serrano MD- 40-50g of carbs may be burned during an hour of intense weight lifting.

Right after the last set of training another Amino Load of BCAA and FFAA is crucial for not only increasing insulin, but also providing the muscles with powerful building blocks to assist with repair and new growth.

30 minutes after this amino load is a good time for a meal and or whey shake, however a real food meal is your best choice.

more on this topic is available here
www.infinityfitness.com/articles/pwo.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

excellent post. I don't think you need BCA's if you eat enough complete protein. But other than that. Very informative. A lot of good info.

Total agreement with the carb sensetive stuff too. I just drink V8 fusion after my workout. Then some whey.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:42 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
shmendelson wrote:
The use of proper amino acid supplemenation around training is very important for maximizing muscle growth, performance, recovery and fat loss. BCAA are a great choice as they are highly anti catabolic, they should be used along with A Free Form Amino Acid (FFAA) source 30 minutes before training to optimize the hormonal environment for training. The addition of some carbs in the form of glucose can help, but 20g is about all you need. For those sensitive to simple sugars; I would avoid any additional carbs as the Aminos when put together correctly to a good job spiking insulin.

As I have mentioned in previous post, I am a fan of Dr John Ivy and his research on the pre, during, and post workout beverages. Ivy finding is smilar to those above. Ivy recommends approximately 20 grams of something like maltodextrin, dextrose, or glucose mixed with a whey protein.

As Ironman stated, if you eat enough, you get enough BCAAs. Whey provides a nice supply of them. Thus, I question how much more you need and if taken how much more effecitve are they for recovery. Are BCAAs 10%, 20%, ect more effective?

Quote:
Following workouts glycogen replenishment is not as big of an issue as many would think. A person weight training will not use as much glycogen as previously thought. According to nutrition and exercise expert Dr. Eric Serrano MD- 40-50g of carbs may be burned during an hour of intense weight lifting.

This makes sense as well. There is not much glycogen burned during a resistance training session.

Quote:
Right after the last set of training another Amino Load of BCAA and FFAA is crucial for not only increasing insulin, but also providing the muscles with powerful building blocks to assist with repair and new growth.

I understand some amino acids, such as leucine, stimulat insulin. However, reseach shows that is one of the reasons to use a high glycemic index carbohydrate.

The high glycemic carbodhydrate is use as a transport system. It shuttles nutrients to the muscle.

Secondly, a high glycemic index carbohydrate reload the muscle cell with glycogen. While amino acids can be converted to glyconge via gluconeogenesis , it takes a great deal more time. Also, glycogen hsa been shown to blunt cortisol levels. Thus, ingesting a high glycemic index carbohydrate with a whey protein makes more sense.

Quote:
30 minutes after this amino load is a good time for a meal and or whey shake, however a real food meal is your best choice.

Research by Ivy prefers a protein/carbohydrate drink about an hour after the workout. The protein percentage higher than the carbohydrates. The carbohydrates used more as a transport. Then solid means. So, they are close on this.

Quote:
more on this topic is available here
www.infinityfitness.com/articles/pwo.html

The article is interesting. However, there are many resources listed to back up the article.

Also, while the money back guarantee is better than nothing. It's a bit misleading. As someone once said, "Thd devil is in the details."

For one thing, a 15% fee to "off set credit card tranaction cost" does more than just cover the credit card cost.

So, you basically pay for what you use and have to deal packing it up and sending it back...which is a pain in the ass.

With that said, at least you get some of your money back if you don't like it....which is better than nothing...but again a bit misleading.

Kenny Croxdale