ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Me With Nutrition
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:49 pm 
Im 14 115 pounds. How much meals should I eat? What should my snacks and meals be like to gain muscle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think 6 is a good rule of thumb. Sometimes 7 maybe. Like in addition the the normal 3, you might have another one between breakfast and lunch, plus before workout, after workout and bedtime.

It's kind of hard to say exactly how much you should eat. If you were an adult, I would think 2500 calories at the right ratio would be about right for now. Since you are still growing, you are likely to need more than that. Since you are thin, try 3000 calories and see what that does for you. You aren't prone to fat gain, so going high like that should be a good strategy for you. If you eat that much every day, I am positive you will grow. You are going to want 150 grams of protein per day at a minimum. That is 600 calories, leaving another 2400. Eating more protein is certainly ok. You are probably going to want about 1500 calories worth of carbs (375 grams). Then fill in the rest with fats. But it doesn't have to be that exact.

So say you go with 7 it might go something like this

1: 2 servings of oatmeal and 2 eggs
2: 2 servings cottage cheese and 1 scoop of whey
3: 2 tuna sandwiches and a banana
4 (preworkout): slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, 1 scoop whey
5 (postworkout): 1 scoop whey, something with 60 grams of simple carbs, like a weight gainer with dextrose or just some chocolate milk
6: chicken breast, brown rice, a couple green veggies
7 (bedtime): casein protein shake, maybe some cheese

Thats just kind of a rough example. It should be somewhere around the 3000 calorie mark depending on portion.

Your parents are going to be like "Damn that Ironman! We don't want to buy all that $h1t!" lol

But if you eat something along those lines you'll grow for sure.

How's the workout going? What did you end up deciding to go with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm 
Workout is going good. How far apart should I eat the foods? Also how much food

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well you eat 7 times, and you space them evenly. So every 2 or 3 hours or so. It doesn't have to be that exact. You have to make it fit around your life. You can have all the meals the same size, or you can have 3 bigger ones and have the rest be little snacks, or whatever works best for you.

Like I was saying all your food for the day should add up to around 3000 calories. That should be plenty for you to grow and build muscle.

2 servings of oatmeal is measured by the size on the package, or use two packs of instant. 2 servings of cottage cheese is a third of the container. 1 can of tuna should make 2 sandwiches. 2 or 3 tbs is probably good for peanut butter. Have a large chicken breast, or 2 to 4 smaller pieces, or good size steak, or whatever meat you want. Then 2 or 3 servings of rice or a yam maybe. Then plenty of veggies. The size of 2 fists maybe. 1 scoop at a time for whey and casein, and just a couple ounces of cheese. That's just kind of a rough estimate though. Off the top of my head. You don't have to eat that exact same thing every day. It's just an example. Maybe one day you want roast beef sandwiches. And other day a couple big burgers on whole wheat sounds good. Maybe at breakfast you'd rather eat cream of wheat, bacon and sausage. Maybe for dinner you want 2 or 3 center cut pork chops, a small bowl of whole wheat pasta salad, steamed broccoli and creamed cauliflower. Maybe you don't even like bananas and you much prefer apples, oranges, or pears. You see where I'm going with this?