ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you lose muscle?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:48 pm 
Is there any way that you can lose muscle. What exercise should I i avoid to not lose muscle? Should I avoid cardio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:29 pm 

From a previous post I see you are 14 years old. Most of what happens to your body over the next few years will happen regardless of what you do. Your natural growth and hormonal changes will have the biggest effects.

Exercise, eat well and try out new things. Your body will tell you what works and doesn't work. There is nothing inherently wrong with any type of exercise.

Read everything you can. A lot of what you read will contradict other things you read and a lot of it will be wrong. As you gain knowledge and wisdom you will be able to discern the good from the bad.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes. Not eating enough protein or just not eating enough in general. Hence the diet recommendations. You can maybe lose a little by overtraining and not having enough recovery. So doing more then the prescribed routine wouldn't be good. A lot of activity can do it. But you can compensate by eating more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:26 pm 
but do i avoid cardio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

A moderate amount of cardio is fine, and probably good for you. Like an earlier poster said, you're in the growth years, and as long as you don't go out there and try doing over an hour per session for 7 days a week (i.e train like a marathoner) you will be just fine as long as you eat well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:57 am 

No, you don't avoid cardio. You try everything and keep what works for you. You just keep it reasonable and if it's having negative effects on your body change it.

A friend of mine is into long distance ironman stuff. He's unbeatable in 24 hour orienteering races. He stays up all night before marathons setting up course markers and then for fun he races the next morning and comes in 9th place. He hardly ever picks up a barbell. Anyone else doing that would be skinny and worn out. For a fellow pushing 40 he's very muscular strong and healthy. Where would he be if he never tried cardio? Everyone is different.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

At your age, I wouldn't do any normal cardio just to be doing it. You should be playing sports or something like that. So like I was saying, if you get a lot of activity, like you spend a lot of time playing sports, biking or rollerblading, or whatever you like to do, you just need to eat more to make up for it. You're at an age where you are doing most of your growing, you're developing into a man, you're probably playing sports, so all that requires a lot of food, especially if you want to fuel all that and put some muscle on too.