ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: carb cycling
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

When cycling carbs, must I deduct 3500cal from my weekly calorie intake in order to loose weight? Or do I not need to do this cause of the nature of the diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just cut carbs, I don't really reduce calories. If weight loss stalls I might reduce them very slightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:16 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Im confused. When you reduce any element of the calorie intake, be it protein, carbs or fat, you are also reducing the overall calories. Actually, I believe I know what your trying to say. So, is that a yes? I do need to reduce calories? But only by reducing carbs? And if so, by how much should I reduce carbs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, because I eat more of other things. I eat 40 to 60 carbs on average when loosing weight. I might reduce calories to a very small extent. Maybe by 200 a day at most. Usually not even that much. I don't go below 3000 calories a day most of the time when cutting. But that's just what I do.

So the easy way, is to reduce carbs to 40 or so per day. Don't eat processed stuff like sugar and white flour. But otherwise eat however much you want. Never be hungry. lots of protein and lift heavy. That's it. You'll lose weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:47 am 
Rookie
Rookie

so you only eat 40 to 60 grams of carbs per day. Have I understood you correctly? Or do you mean per meal. And are we still refering to a carb cyling diet here?

Last edited by Dean on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:42 am 

This isn't my diet but I am good with arithmetic so I'll offer some calculations:

If you do the math based on 3000 calories:

Protein 250g = 1000 calories
Carbs 50g = 200 calories
Fat 200 g = 1800 cal
Total = 3000 cal

The fat would probably be some combination of fat in meat, olive oil, nuts, flax meal/oil, fish oil, butter and other fats.

On days when you increase carbs you can cut fat:

Protein 250g = 1000 calories
Carbs 300g = 1200 calories
Fat 100 g = 900 cal
Total = 3100 cal

Just my math, Ironman can probably elaborate.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

why are not to eat white bread? I'm almost too scared to say it, but I have been eating white bread as my carbs for my post workout meal. I thought white bread was absorbed quickly. I didn't really want the extra expence of buying another supplement, such as maltodextrin,for my post work out meal Is using white bread a bad idea? Also, while I'm here. On the high carb days I need to consume 82g of carbs in each of the 6 meals. I'v discovered that to do this by eating only fruit and veg is not easy. That's alot of fruit and alot of veg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:37 pm 

The rules are different post workout. You want to take advantage of insulin to protect and build muscle. Ideally you want to drink your carbs at this time to get them into your system faster. That's the only time that I would consume white bread. Sugar in water would work just as well as bread. Maltodextrine is sold in homebrew shops at very low cost. It's really not expensive. Don't forget to have protein post workout. Whey acts quicker than meat, eggs or milk.

On the high carb days, think oatmeal, pasta, sweet potatoes (yams), whole wheat, etc. Veg is best but as long as you go low GI, it's all good.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's about right Stuward, except a eat a bit more protein and a bit less fat.

On high carb, oatmeal and whole grains are a good source. That's not a good plan while trying to lose weight.

I would advise doing a cutting phase adding more and more HIIT, eating a little less anytime weight loss stalls and low carbs, the lower the better within reason. Then You drop all the HIIT, and start taking in more carbs/calories and transition into a bulk. That kicks the metabolism up, even if you don't really gain much muscle. So when you go back to the cut, you can get steady weight loss again.